Apple Seeds Third Beta of Upcoming macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Update to Developers

ignatius345

macrumors 68020
Aug 20, 2015
Hope it fixes the iCloud verification finally. Real tired of entering iCloud and Mac passwords AND the code on my iPhone for some reason every other day.
I had to revert to Mojave because of this one. It’s incredibly disruptive and persistent.

bernuli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2011
Use Automator to set up the Terminal commands to kill the processes you do not want, and save the script as an app. Then use your account Settings to run that app each time you reboot. Been doing this for a long time - slightly annoying as you likely will be prompted for your admin pwd, but unless you reboot a lot, it is a very livable situation.
Yeah, those are the hoops I don't want to jump.

Also, unless you remove it from launchd, it will be coming back.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
ProtonVPN
Kinda positive experience with Catalina (.2), it's been suprisingly stable so far (I'm on Catalina due to MBP 16") but the external monitor issue (most likely GPU drivers issue) is bothering me so I'm in hope for some improvements to be delivered with .3 when it drops in stable channel.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Add back capability to Preview to play .MTS files.
And add back capability to rate/write reviews for movies in the new TV App.
And finally, add back the capability to take screenshots of movies that I legally downloaded from iTunes and own.

FlyingDutch

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2019
Eindhoven (NL)
It would be insanely great if Apple devotes some effort to maximize performance and minimize memory consumption. We should not have to rely on Macfanscontrol and Lingon to control fan speed and disable unncessary daemons, it should be builtin, as in Windows.
Well, to quote Windows as a model to be followed is quite ridiculous imho...
- - Post merged: - -

Kinda positive experience with Catalina (.2), it's been suprisingly stable so far (I'm on Catalina due to MBP 16") but the external monitor issue (most likely GPU drivers issue) is bothering me so I'm in hope for some improvements to be delivered with .3 when it drops in stable channel.
AMD drivers are a mess even on Windows 10, unfortunately...

I had to set display refresh rate at 60Hz (on a 144Hz monitor !) otherwise vram will stay at maximum freq all the time.

Last edited:

chucker23n1

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2014
Pretty sure it’s always been posted that way. That’s how I’ve seen it.
My impression is all iOS betas come to the front page, but only some macOS betas.

I know this isn't the best place to ask, but what are people's opinion on the Music app? I am still on Mojave and for all its problems, I am reluctant to give up on iTunes.
It’s fine. 10.15.2 brought back the column browser, so I think most of the critical stuff is at feature parity. It’s not great how some stuff that should be a popover or some other kind of palette is instead a pane that covers large portions of the main window. Seems a iPad-esque design choice that isn’t a good idea on the Mac. There’s also finickyness browsing Apple Music, but that was also true in iTunes.

This is (and mostly feels like) iTunes with a lot of non-music stuff ripped out, and I think that’s a good and overdue move. They just need to make some refinements to make it more pleasant to use, but now it does have room to grow. It’s not yet really better than iTunes in any way I can think of, but it finally feels like it has the potential of becoming that.

Basically, I think I mostly agree with Jason Snell’s take, except the Column Browser thing is luckily not longer true. I think I would prefer if Up Next sidebar behaved like Safari’s Downloads popover: you can have it permanently visible if you like, but can also have it temporarily pop over from the main window.

One more thing that bugs me: the active color is wrong. Whenever the Music main window is frontmost, I think it isn’t, because its color makes it look inactive.

Last edited:
Reactions: iAssimilated

Krauter

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2020
Any news on CardDav being fixed? Since Catalina the contacts app can only show content. No more editing. New entries being rejected (apparently for at least some external CardDav services).

Jim Higgins

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2018
I know this isn't the best place to ask, but what are people's opinion on the Music app? I am still on Mojave and for all its problems, I am reluctant to give up on iTunes.
Stay with Mojave. I went to Catalina and that was a very big mistake. I much preferred iTunes to Music.

I'm still in Mojave
STAY THERE!

fahlman

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2003
I try that its still same stocks App Launches when I reboot MacBook startup stocks App Launches
Is the Stocks.app icon in the dock? If so, right click on it and choose Options>Open at Login (if there is a checkmark next to it)

Totally. Lots of stuff running that I never use. Have to jump through hoops to disable.

A simple startup manager so I can boot “macOS Light”. Would be welcome.
What "stuff"?

dumastudetto

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2013
It's obviously good to see updates for people refusing to get on board with the future, but I still see iPadOS as the answer to these problems and complaints about macOS Catalina.

• Haha
Reactions: tkermit

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Good news with this update:

Oh, one of the bugs I missed because I never rebuilt? That's good. My main problem with e-mail is that it is so 1990s. In political season, which never stops now, I now get more than 400 e-mails a day.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Against proclamations to the contrary, it is clear (to me) that Apple is letting macOS die an ignominious death.

There is no need for Apple marketing denials. because the proof lies with the core macOS, and unique, Cloud-based applications (Mail, Message, Notes, Reminders, ...) which are being lobotomized by poorly-designed and, worse, ill-tested Catalina. Even worse, remain bug-ridden after two months underscoring the absence of urgency.

The small number of user posts on this critical subject (even the absence of "how-do-you-dare!" comments from the Apple Defense Force) speak loudly to the sooner-rather-than-later demise of macOS (and the Mac). Whereas any insignificant note on iPhone and iOS spawns 10's of pages, the horrid state of macOS Catalina barely collects three pages after one weekend.

Yeah. I am still running Mojave 10.14.6.

But those that say, "Mojave is working great for me" ("if you do not know about something, you do not worry about it"), please take a look at /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and check the 10's of reports caused by WebKit and stalled shutdowns under "working-great" Mojave.

tommiy

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2015
I'd be happy if it fixes all the external monitor problems, and the wake on sleep issues. Until thats proven I simply no longer trust Apple and have reverted to taking backups, upgrading on an external drive, testing out over a weekend, and probably rolling back. I use my MAC for work so its not heavy like anyone playing games but I am dependent upon it working rather than each minor upgrade introducing more bugs. I'll wait until it goes public but even then I probably will not upgrade until all the feedback is in.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Well, to quote Windows as a model to be followed is quite ridiculous imho...

I had to set display refresh rate at 60Hz (on a 144Hz monitor !) otherwise vram will stay at maximum freq all the time.
What version of AMD Software Adrenalin are you using for Windows 10?

Against proclamations to the contrary, it is clear (to me) that Apple is letting macOS die an ignominious death.

There is no need for Apple marketing denials. because the proof lies with the core macOS, and unique, Cloud-based applications (Mail, Message, Notes, Reminders, ...) which are being lobotomized by poorly-designed and, worse, ill-tested Catalina. Even worse, remain bug-ridden after two months underscoring the absence of urgency.

The small number of user posts on this critical subject (even the absence of "how-do-you-dare!" comments from the Apple Defense Force) speak loudly to the sooner-rather-than-later demise of macOS (and the Mac). Whereas any insignificant note on iPhone and iOS spawns 10's of pages, the horrid state of macOS Catalina barely collects three pages after one weekend.

Yeah. I am still running Mojave 10.14.6.

But those that say, "Mojave is working great for me" ("if you do not know about something, you do not worry about it"), please take a look at /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports and check the 10's of reports caused by WebKit and stalled shutdowns under "working-great" Mojave.
I have experienced no noticeable bugs in Catalina. Then again I don't use Exchange, I don't use 32 bit programs and I don't use unsanctioned VST3 plugins for Logic Pro X. Mail/Message/Notes/Reminders aren't getting lobotomized. They are adding functionality.

Apple's only expanding resources on OS X and iOS/tvOS/iPad OS, etc. I know as a lot of my fellow former Apple Engineers are now back at Apple.

There are a lot of initiatives deep in development, in conjunction with iOS/macOS, etc.

Reactions: Adult80HD