Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
The problem with "the wifi bug" is that I doubt it's A bug. It's likely not as simple as that.

There are likely multiple bugs. But that doesn't change the fact that they could (and damn well should ASAP) fix the bugs we KNOW ABOUT,
the most notorious of which is the discoveryd bug, the fact that there is something wrong with the protocol used by base stations to hold onto (and later update) the names of Apple devices, leading to constantly changing names (and things not working because the expected name has been changed).

There is likely a second, different, bug that's related to iOS WiFi synching. This occurs even when the target mac has NOT done the "let's change my name for random reasons" thing, and appears to be a bug on the iOS side, not the mac side.

In addition to all this, there's just basically STUPID UI stuff that they should have fixed years ago. It's nice that my phone automatically connects to, say, the MacysFreeWiFi network when I'm in a Macys. BUT the system should at least test that that WiFi network is actually freaking working (and not connect, or display a broken WiFi icon) if it can't use the WiFi to actually reach the outside world.

The big problem behind all this is Apple's utter stony silence on the issue. Do they even CARE that there is a problem? Do they have a plan for fixing it? When can we expect progress? etc
MS used to be the big bad evil, but over the past few years they've become a LOT more pleasant than Apple to deal with regarding this sort of thing --- substantially more forthcoming about issues and schedules (and, if we're being honest, substantially less likely to write/release amateur code that exhibits these sorts of low-level OS-type issues in the first place).

HansumKingtut

Suspended
Aug 10, 2013
Virginia, USA
Safari Version 8.0.7

Safari Version 8.0.7

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 2.42.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-11 at 2.42.42 PM.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,388

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Did you open Activity Monitor to see what was using the CPU most?

Yes, and everything showed up normal as far as I could see. It was very odd, I have never experienced something like this with any MacBook. Then I got to thinking that maybe somehow SMCfanControl got corrupted or something, but then I could feel the heat where the CPU is. Something was just messed up.

Anyway, I went back down to 10.10.3 and things are back to normal. I am thinking maybe something happened during the install of 10.10.4, sometimes things happen like that. I did send in a report to Apple. Anyway, things are fixed now, so I am happy!

:apple:

taldo

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2013
Full change log

Is there anywhere a full change log that one could know exactly what was improved in all focus areas?

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
Another Nay sayer.
WIFI issues was and still is a problem.
The beta I am on (beta2) had it solved for me, so I thought, yet after 1 week the problems started again.
Strange thing is, I didn't have any WIFI problems in the pre release OS X 10.10 beta's, the the problems started and hasn't been solved since.
It IS still not fixed, and yes it's 10.10.x, not hardware.
I started using OS X from 10.0b, never had any WIFI issues, until Yosemite came along.

Are you sure it's actually a WiFi problem and not the problems that have been reported with discoveryd since the Yosemite beta? A lot of the "WiFi issues" people see are actually issues with discoveryd.

TP18

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2015
Safari updated to 8.0.7 (previous 8.0.5)

EDIT: sorry didn't see the previous Safari post

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Are you sure it's actually a WiFi problem and not the problems that have been reported with discoveryd since the Yosemite beta? A lot of the "WiFi issues" people see are actually issues with discoveryd.

I reverted back to mDNSResponder, didn't resolve my WIFI issues.
So, I guess it's another bug, might be bluetooth related, I have the wireless keyboard and Magic trackpad.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I have been having an issue with Bluetooth since the last beta of 10.10.3, is this related to your problem? After my computer hibernates (I shut the lid to go home) and then I open it again the next day, most of the time bluetooth stops responding, shows enabled, cannot connect to anything, cannot disable (never shows it being disabled), only solution is to reboot.

Any feedback on Bluetooth trackpad issues would be appreciated. Widespread problems with 10.10.3

padapada

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
... The big problem behind all this is Apple's utter stony silence on the issue. Do they even CARE that there is a problem? Do they have a plan for fixing it? When can we expect progress? etc

MS used to be the big bad evil, but over the past few years they've become a LOT more pleasant than Apple to deal with regarding this sort of thing --- substantially more forthcoming about issues and schedules (and, if we're being honest, substantially less likely to write/release amateur code that exhibits these sorts of low-level OS-type issues in the first place).

This

johnjohn7188

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
Irvine, CA
Is there a way to find out graphic driver version of Intel Iris Pro only MacBooks? When I run check the system information, I get no information about the gMux version.

gMux is not the graphics driver. It's the hardware that's responsible for switching between integrated and discreet graphics. Hence the mux.

Drivers in OS X are extensions. Check the extensions section in System Profiler. Nvidia extensions are prefixed with NV. Intel graphics extensions are prefixed with Intel. Hope this helps.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Subscribing primarily to get the scoop on this too. Still trying to decide on between Lightroom, C1 and so far running dismally behind, Photos as a replacement for Aperture. (I can hope Photos might add at least a few more things right)? :)

You can use Lightroom and Photos together.

iCloud Photo Library handles everything taken on all iOS devices in our family (still sharing an ID since family sharing isn't implemented well for iCloud Photos).

For my camera photos, everything is managed in Lightroom where I import/cull/edit/geotag/rate.

Anything that I rate/edit gets exported to JPG and then imported to both Photos and Flickr.

It's a few steps, but it lets my iCloud photo library be a central storage place for all my photos, without taking up iCloud space with RAW files. I still have to back up RAW photos the normal way since that's managed in Lightroom.

This way I get all my photos, whether taken by my iPhone or my digital cameras, available on all my devices easily and automatically. I could do the same with Flickr as well, which is why I'm hedging my bets and also uploading everything to Flickr.

Adobe certainly could make this easier by implementing a Photos publishing endpoint within Lightroom, like they do with Flickr. That would save a few steps.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Its all code in the end.

And drawings are just lines and curves on paper, right?

Nevermind, it worked with the account of my wife. :D
I should contact Apple to resolve the problem with my acc.

Hope you get it fixed.

There are likely multiple bugs. But that doesn't change the fact that they could (and damn well should ASAP) fix the bugs we KNOW ABOUT,
the most notorious of which is the discoveryd bug, the fact that there is something wrong with the protocol used by base stations to hold onto (and later update) the names of Apple devices, leading to constantly changing names (and things not working because the expected name has been changed).

There is likely a second, different, bug that's related to iOS WiFi synching. This occurs even when the target mac has NOT done the "let's change my name for random reasons" thing, and appears to be a bug on the iOS side, not the mac side.

In addition to all this, there's just basically STUPID UI stuff that they should have fixed years ago. It's nice that my phone automatically connects to, say, the MacysFreeWiFi network when I'm in a Macys. BUT the system should at least test that that WiFi network is actually freaking working (and not connect, or display a broken WiFi icon) if it can't use the WiFi to actually reach the outside world.

The big problem behind all this is Apple's utter stony silence on the issue. Do they even CARE that there is a problem? Do they have a plan for fixing it? When can we expect progress? etc

I'm not saying that they shouldn't be putting in a s many resources as possible to it, just that people around here are making it sound a lot more simple than it really is. Even Microsoft had to have 5-6 firmware updates to get the WiFi working properly on the SP 3.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Then why was it a gig? o_O

It's a bit more convoluted than this, but a large update size doesn't necessarily mean a lot has changed. Apple doesn't just send the changes ("delta updates"), when you update OS X. Instead it essentially redownloads any files that have changed and replaces the files that already exist.

"Delta" updates: ...Change line 133 in /Applications/iTunes.app/somefile from "<insert technical jargon here>" to "<insert technical jargon here and here>" - (8.6 MB in changes to download)
OS X updates: Replace iTunes.app (version 6.x, version 7.x, version 8.x, or version 9.0) with iTunes.app (version 9.1) - (203 MB file to download)

The downside to this is since the update usually sends a lot more than what has changed, you have larger downloads for each update. The upside to this is it's (probably*) less prone to causing issues (e.g., if the files that were already there were altered, the update was corrupted somehow, etc.).

This isn't exactly how it works, but it's probably close enough for explanation purposes.

*I don't have much experience with how delta updates are made, so I could be completely off here.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Is the WiFi problem resolved after logging out and then back in, or is a restart required? We have a lot of AirPorts on our network and a few Apple TVs, and I have not yet seen the problem occur on our iOS devices or Macs.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Photos app just doesn't work for me, so much so that I had to dig out iPhoto (which is still there) to get photos off my iPhone.

The last update also sent one of my minis into a crashing cycle for iTunes and Spotify; I'll have to do a clean reinstall from what I've read.

Apple software is succking for me right now. :(:(

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Another Nay sayer.
WIFI issues was and still is a problem.
The beta I am on (beta2) had it solved for me, so I thought, yet after 1 week the problems started again.
Strange thing is, I didn't have any WIFI problems in the pre release OS X 10.10 beta's, the the problems started and hasn't been solved since.
It IS still not fixed, and yes it's 10.10.x, not hardware.
I started using OS X from 10.0b, never had any WIFI issues, until Yosemite came along.

Weird. I'm having Bluetooth issues with my trackpad only (keyboard works fine) on my iMac and 10.10.4 beta worked for 6 days for me before he issue returned. What the hell is going on with apple and this issue?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
It's a bit more convoluted than this, but a large update size doesn't necessarily mean a lot has changed. Apple doesn't just send the changes ("delta updates"), when you update OS X. Instead it essentially redownloads any files that have changed and replaces the files that already exist.

"Delta" updates: ...Change line 133 in /Applications/iTunes.app/somefile from "<insert technical jargon here>" to "<insert technical jargon here and here>" - (8.6 MB in changes to download)
OS X updates: Replace iTunes.app (version 6.x, version 7.x, version 8.x, or version 9.0) with iTunes.app (version 9.1) - (203 MB file to download)

The downside to this is since the update usually sends a lot more than what has changed, you have larger downloads for each update. The upside to this is it's (probably*) less prone to causing issues (e.g., if the files that were already there were altered, the update was corrupted somehow, etc.).

This isn't exactly how it works, but it's probably close enough for explanation purposes.

*I don't have much experience with how delta updates are made, so I could be completely off here.

Thanks for pointing that out.

TheChallinor

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2012
Apple Seeds Third OS X 10.10.4 Yosemite Beta to Developers and Public Beta Te...

I have been having an issue with Bluetooth since the last beta of 10.10.3, is this related to your problem? After my computer hibernates (I shut the lid to go home) and then I open it again the next day, most of the time bluetooth stops responding, shows enabled, cannot connect to anything, cannot disable (never shows it being disabled), only solution is to reboot.

It's kind of similar but mainly disconnects / reconnects and very erratic juddering and jumping of the cursor and dropouts and freezes all together sometimes.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
U reckon by the time we hit 10.10.8 we will have Mail purring again like a kitten ?

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Can confirm this update has fixed the issue I had whereby Photos wouldn't load my Shared activity or albums.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.