Apple Sees U.S. Mac Shipments Drop 2.5% in 2Q15 Amid Larger Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Amid a decline in both U.S. and worldwide PC shipments, Apple has also seen a slight drop in its U.S. PC shipments in 2Q15, according to shipping estimates released today from Gartner. Apple shipped 1.92 million PCs during the second quarter of 2015, down from 1.97 million in 2Q14, marking a 2.5 percent decline.

Overall PC growth in the United States during the quarter was down 5.8 percent, with total estimated shipments at 15.1 million, down from 16 million in the year-ago quarter. With the exception of Lenovo, all of the top U.S. PC vendors saw declines in growth.
    During the quarter, Apple captured 12.7 percent of the market, up from 12.3 percent in 2Q14. Apple was ranked as the fourth largest PC vendor in the United States in 2Q15, based on Gartner's estimates, trailing behind HP, Dell, and Lenovo.

[​IMG]
    Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 2Q15 (Thousands of Units)​

Market leader HP shipped nearly 4 million PCs during the quarter for a 26.2 percent share of the market, while Dell shipped 3.9 million for a 25.6 percent share of the market. Lenovo came in just ahead of Apple with 2 million PC shipments and 13.3 percent of the market, while Asus brought up the rear with shipments of 767,000 and a 5.1 percent share of the market.

[​IMG]
    Apple's U.S. Market Share Trend: 1Q06-2Q15 (Gartner)

IDC has also released its own estimates of Apple's U.S. PC shipments during 2Q15, which are quite different from Gartner's estimates. According to IDC, overall U.S. PC shipments totaled 16.4 million, a 3.3 percent decline from 2Q14's 17 million.

According to IDC, Apple shipped 2.2 million PCs during the quarter, for 13.5 percent market share and 11.9 percent growth year over year. Gartner and IDC often have different numbers because each company counts different products in their PC totals.

[​IMG]

Apple does not rank as one of the top five worldwide vendors in Gartner's data, which ranks Acer and ASUS above Apple, but in IDC's data, Apple ranks higher than Acer/ASUS and is counted as the number four worldwide PC vendor. IDC's data suggests that Apple's worldwide PC marketshare climbed to 7.8 percent in 2Q15 with 5.14 million shipments, while Gartner's data suggests Acer was the number five worldwide PC vendor with 4.5 million shipments.

[​IMG]

According to Gartner, worldwide PC shipments during 2Q15 totaled 68.4 million units, a 9.5 percent decrease from 2Q14. IDC's estimates, meanwhile, point towards 66.1 million shipments during the quarter, a 11.8 percent drop from the year-ago quarter.

It's important to note that data from Gartner and IDC is preliminary and that the numbers can shift somewhat, sometimes dramatically. Last year, for example, Gartner predicted Apple shipments of 1.68 million and 10.6 percent market share in 2Q14, a number that was later revised to 1.97 million shipments and 12.3 percent market share.

Update 2:40 PM PT: We've updated this post to add data from IDC.

Article Link: Apple Sees U.S. Mac Shipments Drop 2.5% in 2Q15 Amid Larger Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

2. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

3. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

4. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

That's because we're all waiting for iPad Pro running Mac OS.

5. dmcwally macrumors member

Must be because of that Mac mini downgrade. I mean refresh

6. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

Not Surprising. Tablets are becoming PCs, PCs are becoming Tablets. Everything is confusing. iOS 9 Multitasking on the iPad might make things worse.

7. thekeyring macrumors 68040

Eh. They seem to have been outgrowing the PC industry, so you can hardly blame lack of great products as the reason. I guess this is the normal eb and flow of the market. It can't grow every quarter, after all.

8. tubular macrumors 6502

tubular

Also having some trouble with this: "During the quarter, Apple captured 12.7 percent of the market, down from 12.3 percent in 2Q14."

9. MikhailT macrumors 601

During the quarter, Apple captured 12.7 percent of the market, down from 12.3 percent in 2Q14.

They went up in market share of the quarter, not down. It's 12.7% this year, up from 12.3% last year.

10. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

11. warfed macrumors regular

I wonder how much worse the drop is internationally... I was planning on buying a new MBP this summer but passed due to a $500 price hike in Canada.

12. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I wonder why Lenovo was the only company whose shipments grew, especially considering the Superfish scandal?

13. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

Something tells me those waiting will be quite disappointed.

Goodness, this thread is just full to the brim of lofty expectations, isn't it?

14. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

Still great sales. I look forward to Apple's new lineup, but I hope they don't keep pursing thinness on their "Pro" devices until technology allows it.

15. jclo Editor

jclo

Staff Member

Was a typo. Fixed now. Shipments are down, market share slightly up.

16. ladycsr macrumors member

Holy cow look at Lenovo go! the only company on that list to actually grow.

17. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Intel is going to take their sweet ass time. They've got no real competition in the PC industry.

Unless Apple is secretly been leading a double life with ARM, but I don't think they've ARM has anything to run with the CPU's in the higher end MBP and MP's.

18. ladycsr macrumors member

To their credit they fixed the issue immediately.

19. Zxxv macrumors 68040

Stop building crap then

(crap defined as under specced entry models)

20. iKnowMr.Jobs macrumors 6502

iKnowMr.Jobs

The Air 2 has roughly the same performance as a 2011 MacBook Air because of the A8X. You think Apple doesn't have OS X running natively on it?

21. gramtrax macrumors regular

gramtrax

Simple equation. Lack of substantial hardware upgrades in last 2 years = no reason for me to replace my 15" 2013 retina mbp.

22. GuitarDTO macrumors 6502a

Just keep supporting your computers Apple. My MBPr is one of the few things you couldn't pry from my cold dead hands.

23. Michael Scrip, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Gartner says Mac sales went down 2.5% in the US this quarter...

IDC says they went up 11.9% in the US and 16% worldwide.

Analysts... amirite? :D

24. Rocketman macrumors 603

Rocketman

They're on par with Lenovo in unit shipments yet have higher price points and much higher margins. Hmmm.

25. solamar macrumors regular

No mention that IDC says that Mac sales are UP 16.1%.

Nice reporting MacRumors!