Apple Sees U.S. Mac Shipments Drop 2.5% in 2Q15 Amid Larger Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Lankyman macrumors 68000

Lies, dammed lies and statistics

2. MentalFloss macrumors 65816

MentalFloss

And replace with...?

Where is that chip company that can release chips based on a new process faster than Intel? Is it some company working with aliens? Or a supplier located in the basement of Hogwarts?

3. pacalis, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015

pacalis macrumors 6502a

It's not surprising all this. With the exception of the retina iMAC (you know, the one that doesn't match the design of any secondary display) Apple hasn't effectively updated their hardware to address new consumer needs since the 2012 rMBP and the 2010 MBA.

My 2012 15" rMBP is the bee's knees, but it doesn't make sense to upgrade to something that is offering barely more performance for a substantial increase in price. Alternatively, I won't go for a more portable computer because the 2015 MBA display is a total joke, and it's absurd to pay $1300 plus $100s in accessories for a shiny netbook that I can't connect to half my stuff to.

And maybe Tim Cook can take a picture of me complaining with that 8 megapixel camera from 2012 to show on the on the 4 year old thunderbolt display that has less megapixels than that wonderful 2012 rMBP.

Maybe that's just it - 2012, the year apple gave up on making laptops radically better.

4. GhostRaider macrumors 6502

Intel has a monopoly in the processor business so they pretty much control of the release of their chips. AMD is not even an option to consider because there is no competition. Even Microsoft is willing to buy AMD for crying out loud.

And Apple is using ARM processors on Macs in their R&D facilities. They're not gonna sit there and do nothing. Apple already gave us a hint of this future with their new MacBook. The size of that motherboard is almost that of an iPad. So the MacBook is ready to have an ARM chip but the software isn't ready yet. iOS wouldn't really make sense on a notebook computer even though it technically can run it if an ARM processor was installed.

5. Piggie macrumors G3

Piggie

This always interests me as it's so distorted.

How does this take into account the hundreds of millions of PC components sold to individuals?
    Building and upgrading PC's for themselves, friends or family?

Pretty much none of which go to the Apple Community who cannot upgrade or build new using components.

There could be zero PC sales according to this chart, and still be millions of PC being created or upgraded via components being sold to people.

6. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

Meanwhile... IDC has worldwide Mac sales up 16% versus this same quarter a year ago.

That doesn't sound like people have given up on Macs the way you say Apple has given up on Macs.

7. RickInHouston macrumors 65816

8. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

i hope your learned your lesson, apple! BRING OUT MAC PRO...WITH EXPANDABILITY.
    Quit gutting out mac products! give us the best products.

9. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

This has nothing to do with the homebrew computer market.

These analysts are specifically talking about PC sales.

Complete, finished, working computers.

Of course there are motherboards, RAM, hard drives and cases being sold... but they're not on these particular charts.

PC components have their own charts.

10. ArmCortexA8 macrumors 6502a

This is what happens when you charge a fortune for Mac hardware which is simply too overprice. You can get more powerful systems than a Mac with upgradeable hardware and a lot cheaper. Mac is just a re-packaged Windows system with a different OS.

11. pacalis macrumors 6502a

I think they should be worried. They've invested a lot in global distribution, so this is likely just an outcome of increased global accessibility. It's like the difference between sales growth and same store sales growth - the US is like the later. Weakness in the US market likely reflects weakness in consumers willingness to pay.

Anyway, there must be millions of people like me, waiting for a retina MBA, and compatible, elegant displays, and instead we get the macbook and a half filled bucket of thunderbolt and USB-C adapters.

12. Michael Scrip macrumors 603

I'd still like to see what Apple's actual numbers are.

Gartner says Apple is down in the US... while IDC says they're up in the US and worldwide.

But both analysts say HP, Dell, Toshiba, Asus, Acer and others are all down.

Those companies should be more worried than Apple.

13. doctor-don macrumors 68000

Could be because companies such as Tiger were / are selling Lenova notebooks for $199.

14. pittaman macrumors newbie

Exactly . . . what the hell IS a "PC" nowadays?

15. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

Exactly. Market share isn't the whole picture as shipping millions of machines with very low margins isn't Apple's business model. They're likely taking the lion's share of profits from the PC industry just as they are for smartphones while lagging in market share in both. Fewer customers to support and more money coming in. That's great business and nothing to be ashamed of.

16. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

As far as Apple is concerned, I consider anything that runs full OS X to be a "PC", but yes the lines are starting to blur a bit.

17. Kelownadon macrumors newbie

I wonder what the results would have looked like if Apple had come out with an entry level MacBook Air with Retina display and a touch screen. I'd bet they couldn't keep them on the shelves. I say entry level because we all know if Apple introduced such a laptop they would want $1,800 and not the $1100 that would make it fly off the shelves.

18. Even Longer macrumors 6502

Even Longer

Apple is doomed! Oh... Wait a minute, what is the article all about?

19. Benjamin Frost Suspended

Benjamin Frost

I'm astonished that the MacBook Air still doesn't have a Retina display. This is the gateway laptop for Apple, and it has a shoddy screen. Just awful. The iPhone 4 had a retina display in 2010! Why is Apple so slow?

I feel sure that that decision is costing Apple a lot of lost sales. Let's hope we see the Air updated significantly and a large iPad this autumn.

20. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

The Mac Pro is a rounding error for Apple's Mac sales. IF Apple's Mac sales are down its not the Mac Pro causing it.

21. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I feel like this same story gets posted the same time every year.

22. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

Gartner hates Apple and always favors those that are paying them. Been going on for years.

23. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

While it is kind of sad that the new Minis have a slower maximum CPU speed, the biggest problem is the non-upgradeability of the device. The soldered-down ram and harder-to-access drive bays mean, essentially, that if you find yourself outgrowing the device, you'll have to just dump it and buy something else. I really, really don't like the way Apple has been designing "disposable" computers lately...

24. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

No, because this is about PC sales. You and the chronic Apple haters that liked your comment can talk about the Apple Watch sales report all you want, though.

Exactly. So many people on these forums have no clue what average users actually buy and what their needs are. They think everybody uses their devices and computers exactly the same way they do.

Yep, and the same wannabe CEOs think they know how to "fix" things.

25. steve333 macrumors 6502a

Give me an actually improved Mac Mini and I'll buy one tomorrow.