Apple Sees U.S. Mac Shipments Drop 2.5% in 2Q15 Amid Larger Worldwide PC Shipment Decline

JPLC

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Netherlands
Grow more and more. If this is what keeps the docter away, Apple is seriously ill. It's all about making products you love to use yourself. Lets hope they never forget that...

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Well it doesn't help that there have only been speed bumps lately. And the new Macbook 12inch isn't for many people with only having one C-USB port. I remember a time when PC sales were in decline but Apple was bucking the trend with amazing products. I wouldn't buy that 12inch macbook until there is a substantial change in the industry or with the design to make it more useful.

Go Tim, you are amazing!

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Looks like Gartner is US and IDC is World.
Gartner is US only... while IDC provides US and worldwide numbers.

My point was... Gartner and IDC have very different results for the US.

Gartner predicts Apple sold 1,922,000 Macs in the US this quarter which is a fewer amount than a year ago... meaning sales dropped.

IDC predicts Apple sold 2,205,000 Macs in the US this quarter which is a larger amount than a year ago... meaning sales grew.

Two very different predictions.

Which one is correct? (or close to correct?)

Reactions: Deelron

neilw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
"Last year, for example, Gartner predicted Apple shipments of 1.68 million and 10.6 percent market share in 2Q14, a number that was later revised to 1.97 million shipments and 12.3 percent market share. "

In other words, their predictions are worthless.

If they turn out to be similarly wrong this year, can we please stop reporting them altogether?

Reactions: Deelron and JPLC

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Yeah it would be nice if the headline was changed. Who knows which one is right.
Agree - you updated the article, why not the gloom & doom headline too?

Plus I trust Gartner's (and IDC's for that matter) numbers about as much as I'd trust asking my mom how Apple did this quarter (PS - my mom doesn't have a computer, smartphone nor does she work for the IT industry)

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Hey MR since you added data from IDC perhaps you should update the thread title?
Agree - you updated the article, why not the gloom & doom headline too?

Plus I trust Gartner's (and IDC's for that matter) numbers about as much as I'd trust asking my mom how Apple did this quarter (PS - my mom doesn't have a computer, smartphone nor does she work for the IT industry)
With these posts, we include IDC and Gartner data, but traditionally, we base the post and the headline around Gartner's data. I believe this is because we've found Gartner's estimates to be more accurate in the past. Estimates from Gartner and IDC always differ quite a bit, but the gap is admittedly large this quarter.

neilw

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
With these posts, we include IDC and Gartner data, but traditionally, we base the post and the headline around Gartner's data. I believe this is because we've found Gartner's estimates to be more accurate in the past. Estimates from Gartner and IDC always differ quite a bit, but the gap is admittedly large this quarter.
Do you have a history of estimates vs. actual for Gartner and IDC available on the site somewhere? I'd love to see that.

jclo

Editor
Staff member
Dec 7, 2012
California
Do you have a history of estimates vs. actual for Gartner and IDC available on the site somewhere? I'd love to see that.
Nope, unfortunately not. I agree that would be interesting to see. I'm especially curious to see actual 2Q15 sales this time around given the major disparity between the two estimates.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Apple did themselves no favours launching the 12" MacBook.

That is a worrying sign for the direction of the Mac. When form takes precedence over function, as it does with the ridiculously compromised MacBook, you might as well stop making computers.

Apple are becoming a fashion-driven company, and are doing their best to destroy the hard-earned reputation for stellar hardware which Steve Jobs built up over many years. It's sad to see this once-great company turn into a political blancmange obsessed with race and sexuality at the expense of a laser-focus on their products.

dannys1

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2007
UK
danielshepherd.co.uk
Why are people obsessed with CPU's on here - the new Mac mini is not a "downgrade" JUST because of the processor?! Its faster in every other way possible, Thunderbolt 2, SSD, A/C Wifi. People seem to only care about CPU and geekbench scores on here. CPU speeds has practically become one of the least important parts for me in the last decade. Its great for encoding huge video files and exporting huge megapixel graphics from Photoshop, but if you want to do that the Mac mini has never been your machine of choice!

Give me dual core with Thunderbolt 2, 1400MB/s flash and A/C Wifi over Quad Core with none of those things any day - and in the mean time blame Intel again.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Apple are becoming a fashion-driven company, and are doing their best to destroy the hard-earned reputation for stellar hardware which Steve Jobs built up over many years. It's sad to see this once-great company turn into a political blancmange obsessed with race and sexuality at the expense of a laser-focus on their products.
People are becoming more and more critical of Tim..... Unfortunately stock value is high, not because of his leadership but because of past products. I hope he gets the toss before he just turns Apple into HP.

Lankyman

macrumors 68000
May 14, 2011
U.K.
Not Surprising. Tablets are becoming PCs, PCs are becoming Tablets. Everything is confusing. iOS 9 Multitasking on the iPad might make things worse.
Not in my house - I have a smartphone, a tablet, a Laptop and my iMac. Each one was purchased for a specific function and never the twain shall meet.

If your tablet or phone has replaced your Desktop/Laptop then you never needed those devices in the first place - it's as simple as that.

Reactions: sofila