Apple sent me 2 MBPs

sixwings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
So, I ordered my new MBP on the day they were released (15" i5 with the HD antiglare) and when it got to my city UPS delivered it to the wrong address. I called apple and they said I could either have a refund or a replacement and I ordered the replacement. The next day UPS shows up at my house and delivered the one they had originally delivered to the wrong location. It was unopened so I opened it and have been very happy using it. Today UPS shows up again and delivers another MBP (the replacement one). I checked over my Visa statement and they definitely did not charge me twice. I am currently on hold with Apple, the wait time is 20 mins.

Ethical dilemma. What to do? :eek:

ramzhh

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Dude, what a question. Just freakin' keep it or sell it on eBay. Apple will probably not know.

Or, if you're too strict regarding laws and ****, contact apple. It's your choice.:p

NateDogX

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2010
Don't tell Apple. What's wrong with you? If you sent them two iPods on accident, would they let you know? Not a chance.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Ethical Dellema? You think Apple will lose track of a $2000 machine?

UPS will report to Apple that the machine was delivered to the original Addressee.

If you don't want another MBP on your card you'll have to return it lol.

sixwings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Don't tell Apple. What's wrong with you? If you sent them two iPods on accident, would they let you know? Not a chance.
Would they know though?

Ethical Dellema? You think Apple will lose track of a $2000 machine?

UPS will report to Apple that the machine was delivered to the original Addressee.

If you don't want another MBP on your card you'll have to return it lol.
Well here's the kicker, the card I have on file with Apple is no longer existing.

jaredm1

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2009
Bucks, UK
Do the right thing and let them know, and if they decide to let you keep it then so be it.

Most companies I know (Dell) would have waited until the delivery company had exhausted all attempts to get you your order before they would lift a finger to help. Apple's quick actions got you a computer quicker and they took some risk in doing that.

If Apple's goodwill is not appreciated and reciprocated by their customer base then they'll simply cease to operate like that and it would be a shame.

Edit: To all the children who are saying 'keep it', I hope the day never comes when you need Apple and they act suspicious of you and make you go through hoops before they choose to help. I bet you'll be back on this forum complaining then too..

moonwalk

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Reminds me of the joke about the guy who went to see a lawyer for advice. Afterwards the lawyer says to him, "That'll be $100." The guy peels off a crisp new $100 bill and leaves. After he'd gone the lawyer notices that there are actually two $100 bills stuck together. Which raised in the lawyer's mind an ethical dilemma: Should he tell his partner?

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
Try to return it. As along as you attempted to return the product, if they later question you, you'll be able to have evidence to prove that you tried. This probably won't be worth the hassle in the long run.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009
Return it.

If you didn't know, Apple tracks serial #s down. The moment you bring that 'lost' MBP for service, it will be confiscated and you will be questioned (and most likely look very very guilty).

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
Look I mean hey if you get off with it than cool but if they end up charging SOMETHING even if its not your card lol it'll be a nasty surprise for sure.

As much as i'd hate to i'd bring it back in a minute. I couldn't sell it or use it knowing that it was "hot". If I ever needed to call Apple for support I'd wonder if they'd come and get me after tagging the serial, in the whole "to catch a predator" fashion where Chris Hanson is disguised as a Genius at the Genius Bar and as soon as I leave the store i'm arrested :(

cyclical

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2010
You guys are making me feel good about the future of humanity. Star Trek is going to happen!

sixwings

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Thanks for the replys. Apple told me to bring it in to a local apple store, so I'm going to go do that now.

hypermog

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2009
You would be an idiot to keep it. All they have to do is check the tracking number to see that both were delivered to your house.

ramzhh

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Do the right thing and let them know, and if they decide to let you keep it then so be it.

Most companies I know (Dell) would have waited until the delivery company had exhausted all attempts to get you your order before they would lift a finger to help. Apple's quick actions got you a computer quicker and they took some risk in doing that.

If Apple's goodwill is not appreciated and reciprocated by their customer base then they'll simply cease to operate like that and it would be a shame.

Edit: To all the children who are saying 'keep it', I hope the day never comes when you need Apple and they act suspicious of you and make you go through hoops before they choose to help. I bet you'll be back on this forum complaining then too..
I'm sorry, but did you just tell him that the right thing to do is to return it? And may I gently ask, who are you to say what's "right"? He'll do whatever he wants. Just because in your eyes, it seems right, doesn't mean it is.

You have quite an ego...

glocke12

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2008
Do the right thing and return the extra one. You did not pay for it, so technically it is not yours. dont you think youd feel guilty keeping something that doesnt belong to you?

shoppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
Hants
I'm sorry, but did you just tell him that the right thing to do is to return it? And may I gently ask, who are you to say what's "right"? He'll do whatever he wants. Just because in your eyes, it seems right, doesn't mean it is.

You have quite an ego...
Seriously are you honestly taking the mickey? It is the right thing to do, by normal decent people who have morales and scruples. You get nothing in life for free, every thing has a price. Sorry, I do not normally get involved in these discussions but felt I had to reply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.