Apple sent me 2 MBPs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sixwings, Apr 30, 2010.

1. sixwings macrumors newbie

So, I ordered my new MBP on the day they were released (15" i5 with the HD antiglare) and when it got to my city UPS delivered it to the wrong address. I called apple and they said I could either have a refund or a replacement and I ordered the replacement. The next day UPS shows up at my house and delivered the one they had originally delivered to the wrong location. It was unopened so I opened it and have been very happy using it. Today UPS shows up again and delivers another MBP (the replacement one). I checked over my Visa statement and they definitely did not charge me twice. I am currently on hold with Apple, the wait time is 20 mins.

Ethical dilemma. What to do? :eek:

2. splitpea macrumors 6502a

3. ramzhh macrumors regular

Dude, what a question. Just freakin' keep it or sell it on eBay. Apple will probably not know.

Or, if you're too strict regarding laws and ****, contact apple. It's your choice.:p

4. NateDogX macrumors member

Don't tell Apple. What's wrong with you? If you sent them two iPods on accident, would they let you know? Not a chance.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Ethical Dellema? You think Apple will lose track of a $2000 machine?

UPS will report to Apple that the machine was delivered to the original Addressee.

If you don't want another MBP on your card you'll have to return it lol.

6. sixwings thread starter macrumors newbie

Would they know though?

Well here's the kicker, the card I have on file with Apple is no longer existing.

7. NateDogX macrumors member

They can't charge him again. That'd be a serious problem for Apple.

8. jaredm1 macrumors regular

Do the right thing and let them know, and if they decide to let you keep it then so be it.

Most companies I know (Dell) would have waited until the delivery company had exhausted all attempts to get you your order before they would lift a finger to help. Apple's quick actions got you a computer quicker and they took some risk in doing that.

If Apple's goodwill is not appreciated and reciprocated by their customer base then they'll simply cease to operate like that and it would be a shame.

Edit: To all the children who are saying 'keep it', I hope the day never comes when you need Apple and they act suspicious of you and make you go through hoops before they choose to help. I bet you'll be back on this forum complaining then too..

9. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

Keep it, sell it and you get your first MBP for free : )

10. cyclical macrumors regular

Keep it, don't open it. Let some time pass and see what happens.

11. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Return it. If you even have to ask what to do you have serious ethical issues.

12. moonwalk macrumors member

Reminds me of the joke about the guy who went to see a lawyer for advice. Afterwards the lawyer says to him, "That'll be $100." The guy peels off a crisp new $100 bill and leaves. After he'd gone the lawyer notices that there are actually two $100 bills stuck together. Which raised in the lawyer's mind an ethical dilemma: Should he tell his partner?

13. cyclical macrumors regular

Says Bill Gates with a smirk.

:D

14. ozreth macrumors 65816

ozreth

lol of course coming from the guy whos name is "bill gates"

15. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

Try to return it. As along as you attempted to return the product, if they later question you, you'll be able to have evidence to prove that you tried. This probably won't be worth the hassle in the long run.

16. vant macrumors 65816

Return it.

If you didn't know, Apple tracks serial #s down. The moment you bring that 'lost' MBP for service, it will be confiscated and you will be questioned (and most likely look very very guilty).

17. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Look I mean hey if you get off with it than cool but if they end up charging SOMETHING even if its not your card lol it'll be a nasty surprise for sure.

As much as i'd hate to i'd bring it back in a minute. I couldn't sell it or use it knowing that it was "hot". If I ever needed to call Apple for support I'd wonder if they'd come and get me after tagging the serial, in the whole "to catch a predator" fashion where Chris Hanson is disguised as a Genius at the Genius Bar and as soon as I leave the store i'm arrested :(

18. cyclical macrumors regular

You guys are making me feel good about the future of humanity. Star Trek is going to happen!

19. sixwings thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replys. Apple told me to bring it in to a local apple store, so I'm going to go do that now.

20. djgcue macrumors member

Karma is a b1tch...good choice in returning it to Apple.

21. SamTheeGeek macrumors 6502

SamTheeGeek

Do The Right Thing....

I Would give em a call , tell them exactly what happened :) and do the right thing. :)

We are All Being watched and judged ;)

22. hypermog macrumors regular

You would be an idiot to keep it. All they have to do is check the tracking number to see that both were delivered to your house.

23. ramzhh macrumors regular

I'm sorry, but did you just tell him that the right thing to do is to return it? And may I gently ask, who are you to say what's "right"? He'll do whatever he wants. Just because in your eyes, it seems right, doesn't mean it is.

You have quite an ego...

24. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Do the right thing and return the extra one. You did not pay for it, so technically it is not yours. dont you think youd feel guilty keeping something that doesnt belong to you?

25. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Seriously are you honestly taking the mickey? It is the right thing to do, by normal decent people who have morales and scruples. You get nothing in life for free, every thing has a price. Sorry, I do not normally get involved in these discussions but felt I had to reply.