Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple was on stage at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco today to announce several new products, including the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, iPad Pro, iPad mini 4, fourth-generation Apple TV and new Apple Watch bands and finishes. It also announced that iOS 9 and watchOS 2 will be released on September 16.

Apple-Hey-Siri-Tim-Cook-800x449.jpg

MacRumors provided coverage of the September 2015 event with a live blog and articles, in addition to sending out updates through our real-time Twitter account MacRumorsLive. For those that missed out on the action, or need a refresher, this roundup provides a closer look at today's announcements.

iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus

- Design: iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus look the same as the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, with 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch screen sizes respectively, although Apple did make the switch to stronger ion-strengthened glass and slightly thicker Series 7000 aluminum. A new Rose Gold color option was introduced to the iPhone 6s lineup alongside existing Space Gray, Silver and Gold models.

iPhone-6s-Tech-Specs.jpg

- 3D Touch: 3D Touch builds upon both Apple's patented Multi-Touch and pressure-sensitive Force Touch technologies, enabling users to make "peek and pop" gestures on the screen with their fingers to access actionable shortcuts or preview content, such as text messages, flight information, calendar appointments and more.

- A9 Chip: iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus are powered by a 64-bit Apple A9 chip and embedded M9 motion coprocessor that deliver up to 70% faster CPU performance and up to 90% faster graphics compared to the A8 chip inside the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

- Improved Cameras: iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have 12-megapixel rear-facing iSight cameras with 4K video recording (3840x2160) and 5-megapixel front-facing FaceTime cameras with display-based Retina Flash. Optical image stabilization is now available for both photos and videos, but remains limited to the iPhone 6s Plus.

- Faster Touch ID: iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus have a second-generation Touch ID fingerprint scanner that is up to two times faster compared to Touch ID on previous iPhones.

Click here to read rest of article...

Article Link: 'Hey Siri' Event Roundup: iPhone 6s, iPad Pro, New Apple TV and More

agdragon78

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2015
iPad pro... if it had a docking station and could support multiple monitors it would be the best. (recently got a surface for work great web-based work platform)

Reactions: AleXXXa

irfan22

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2009
Really looking forward to the upgrade from my iPhone 5s. Going to wait and see with the new appleTV before buying it. Notifications like the one they showed with the new MLB app looks really promising. Would be awesome to see notifications across the system. I am watching netflix and the system notifies me that a Chicago bulls game is on or its a close game.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
I am happy with most of announcements.
I love the iPad Pro, just is a bit expensive and I rather get a Macbook for that price.
Apple Pencil is enticing since I am a designer.

ATV could be way more and no 4K? WTF. Still I will probably get one.

iPhone rocks and I am getting the 6S Plus. Just lame Apple still using 16gb for entry level.

So overall it was good.

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL
Maybe it was just lost in the shuffle, but I was glad to hear iCloud pricing dropped. For 99c a month, I can stop getting the annoying "Your iPhone hasn't been backed up to iCloud in 3 weeks" message. Anyone know when the new pricing goes into effect?

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I still don't see any reason to purchase the Apple TV. Your average smart TV has more content options. Apps are such a disjointed way to watch TV. I would rather just have a few decent channels with some catchup options. As for those crappy games, is thing intended for 5 year olds?

Last edited:
Reactions: winston1236

cfountain72

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2002
Tampa, FL
iPad pro... if it had a docking station and could support multiple monitors it would be the best. (recently got a surface for work great web-based work platform)
Was it a Surface Pro or regular model? Thinking of getting one for my daughter after she graduates next year.

Andrei90

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2011
Maybe it was just lost in the shuffle, but I was glad to hear iCloud pricing dropped. For 99c a month, I can stop getting the annoying "Your iPhone hasn't been backed up to iCloud in 3 weeks" message. Anyone know when the new pricing goes into effect?
My guess is inmediately but i'm not sure

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
I don't speak for everyone, I know, but I think catching up is what a lot of people are getting tired of. These products aren't cheap.

I agree, but OP's comment was that they were still "behind the curve" - which I don't think is true.

Personally, I think Apple has way too much going on right now. They should have focused on Apple TV over the past year rather than releasing the Apple Watch. More people are interested in upgrading their living rooms than are interested in "wearable tech." Just look at the public reaction to Google Glass. And yes, I think they should have gone further with the Apple TV. I believe great things are coming though.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
The new phone is tempting. Too bad I have a year to go before my current phone subsidy is paid off. Although I could fork over the $240 needed to pay it off early and upgrade through my carrier, I think I'd just rather wait ... at this time.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
I still don't see any reason to purchase the Apple TV. Your average smart TV as more content options.
Huh.. What?.. Unless you mean "in the UK" I'm having trouble thinking of anything your smart TV has that the ATV doesn't.

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
I think the whole 'occasion' of the thing has outgrown the pace of innovation. Apple need to peg back the keynotes somehow and make it less hyperbole and more intimate. Otherwise they risk those of us on the periphery (99% of their market) treating it all like a joke.

RealKrS

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
My only problem with today's event was Tim Cook. I grind my teeth and hold my breath every time he takes the stage, counting the seconds until someone else come to take over. :( I just would love to see an Apple Event with Tim Cook only sitting in the first row. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.