Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Huh.. What?.. Unless you mean "in the UK" I'm having trouble thinking of anything your smart TV has that the ATV doesn't.

Not even in the UK. Two smart TVs in our house at the moment and although the siri remote and other apps look great it would have to have 4k output before I considered it as both the LG WebOS and Samsung Tizen systems have an awesome range of apps and connectivity.

Reactions: RealKrS

Batman89

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2010
Very happy with my 6, with a MacBook rPro have no need for the iPad Pro.

Apple TV and cheaper Space Black AW? Yes please.

steiney

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
I think the whole 'occasion' of the thing has outgrown the pace of innovation. Apple need to peg back the keynotes somehow and make it less hyperbole and more intimate. Otherwise they risk those of us on the periphery (99% of their market) treating it all like a joke.
Yeah, I agree. What really kept cracking me up during the iPhone portion was that Tim Cook kept stating something along the lines of "This is the most advanced iPhone we've ever produced!" Oh, really?!?! I never would have guessed the most recent iteration of the iPhone is also the most advanced iPhone. They use that line at every year's announcement event.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Yeah, I agree. What really kept cracking me up during the iPhone portion was that Tim Cook kept stating something along the lines of "This is the most advanced iPhone we've ever produced!" Oh, really?!?! I never would have guessed the most recent iteration of the iPhone is also the most advanced iPhone. They use that line at every year's announcement event.
While we can debate the usefulness of 3d Touch/force touch - the presentation of how this was made I found it to be well done and very high tech. Easily the most features Apple has ever put on 1 cycle since the Iphone 4.

1961 Scout

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2015
I must have missed the part where Tim said he was going to fix the music app navigation. He did mention that didn't he?

Reactions: rmcarlton

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
And interesting keynote.

Clear winner was the product red watch band for me, purely for the fact it might be in store today.

iPhone 6s, I am liking and if 2GB ram, will be pre-ordering.

iPad pro - surface 3 ripoff, had it run OS X I was interested. The KB cover I thought was a parody, and the pencil being charged from the lightening port , yuk! It's just a big iPad, people wanted a pro unit.

Apple TV - it's got potential, though don't get announcing 4k recording on iPhone 6S and not being to be able to playback on the TV, Apple has to join the dots. Disappointed though they just mixed iOS and a wii controller. Clearly they looked at current consoles and borrowed a few ideas. Though if Apple gets serious here, could evolve.

I think I'm looking most to the new OS updates in the weeks to come. And probably a new iPhone.

Sidenote : some of the Apple execs need to start using the fitness rings on thier Apple watches

Reactions: jase1125

jdillings

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2015
Cook and company had to be a little embarrassed that a company that prides itself on secrecy had every one of its announcements leaked well in advance by Mark Gurman.

nostaws

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2006
The pressure touch thing may be pretty terrific. Going to wait for the comments to come in about it from the early adopters.

Nothing enticing here for me. Maybe next year. And by the way the Apple tv is still behind the curve.

Jmausmuc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2014
The iPhone is good but not great I would say. I am very disappointed they didn't mention anything about the battery and I guess we all know what that means.

The iPad Pro is cool looking but I doubt many people will buy it, because it is too limited to replace desktop and too big to carry.if if you are a designer, the iPad with the pen will probably be amazing thought.

The Apple TV, I don't even know. In the age of smart TVs who really wants to hook up yet another device and have another remote? I doubt it will catch on.

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Well, dammit. I just watched phone portion again, paying more attention to it. Live photos is significant to me with a little one in the house. They are only that age once, after all, and this live photo thing has got me even more tempted.

eNetro

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2014
United States
Here’s what’s correct and incorrect for some of my predictions.
iPhone 6s/6s Plus
Same design, Aluminum 7000 series CORRECT
Silver, Space Gray, Yellow Gold, Rose Gold CORRECT
12 MP iSight camera CORRECT

4K video recording at 30 FPS CORRECT
1080p slow motion recording at 120 FPS CORRECT
720p slow motion recording at 120/240 FPS CORRECT
Optical image stabilization (standard on all iPhone 6 models) INCORRECT (only 6 Plus)
5 MP FaceTime HD camera CORRECT
1080p video recording at 30 FPS INCORRECT
Selfie panoramas INCORRECT
A software-based flash feature for lighting up the display when you take a picture in low-light environments CORRECT
720p slow motion recording at 120 FPS INCORRECT
3D Touch technology CORRECT
A9 SoC CORRECT
2 GB RAM ???
Motion Wallpapers CORRECT
Pricing

16/64/128 GB: $199/$299/$399 for 6s on contract CORRECT
16/64/128 GB: $299/$399/$499 for 6s Plus on contract CORRECT
16/32 GB: $99/$149 for 6 on contract PARTIALLY CORRECT (16 GB for $99, 64 GB for $199)
16/32 GB: $199/$249 for 6 Plus on contract PARTIALLY CORRECT (16 GB for $199, 64 GB for $299)
16 GB: Free for 5s on contract CORRECT
Bluetooth 4.1 wireless INCORRECT, it's 4.2
Pre-orders start September 11, Launches September 18. INCORRECT, pre-orders 11th, launches 25th
iCloud free plan upgraded to 10 GB of storage for 4K videos INCORRECT, 50 GB FOR $.99/MONTH

Apple TV
A8 processor CORRECT
Same ports as previous generation INCORRECT, REMOVES OPTICAL AUDIO, REPLACES MICRO-USB WITH USB-C
Revamped remote featuring larger design, larger buttons, rocker switch, microphone, accelerometer, replaceable batteries PARTIALLY CORRECT, CHARGES WITH LIGHTNING AND HAS A TOUCH PAD
2GB RAM CORRECT
16 GB of internal storage ($149 model), 32 GB of internal storage ($199 model) INCORRECT, 32 GB $149 AND 64 GB $199
Bluetooth 4.1 wireless INCORRECT, 4.0
802.11 a/b/g/n/ac WiFi CORRECT
App Store CORRECT
Siri CORRECT
Similar design as that of second and third generation (slightly larger in size) CORRECT
Pre-orders start late-October, Launches first week of November. INCORRECT, WILL BE AVAILABLE LATE-OCTOBER

iPad mini 4
A8X processor (lower clock speed than that of iPad Air 2) INCORRECT, IT'S A8
6.1 mm thin CORRECT
Upgraded FaceTime HD camera with Burst Mode CORRECT
8 MP iSight Camera with 720p slow-motion recording at 120 FPS CORRECT
Silver, Space Gray, Gold CORRECT
16/64/128 GB CORRECT
$399/$499/$599 for WiFi + cellular models CORRECT
$529/$629/$729 for WiFi + cellular models CORRECT
Bluetooth 4.1 wireless/802.11 ac WiFi PARTIALLY CORRECT, 4.2
Split View Support CORRECT
Launches September 18. CORRECT? ships in 4-6 business days

iPad Pro
A9X processor. CORRECT
5 MP FaceTime Camera with features as that of the iPhone 6s/6s Plus INCORRECT
12 MP iSight Camera with features as that of the iPhone 6s/6s Plus INCORRECT
Silver, Space Gray, Gold CORRECT
64/128/256 GB INCORRECT
$699/$799/$899 for WiFi models INCORRECT
$829/$929/$1029 for WiFi + cellular models INCORRECT
Actual pricing: 32 GB for $799, 128 GB for $949, 128 GB WiFi + LTE for $1079
Bluetooth 4.1 wireless/802.11 ac WiFi, PARTIALLY CORRECT, 4.2
4 Stereo Speakers CORRECT
Lightning port, no USB-C CORRECT
Force Touch stylus at $69 CALLED APPLE PENCIL AT $99
new Apple Bluetooth keyboard at $69 INCORRECT, APPLE SMART KEYBOARD AT $169
Pre-orders start last week of October and launch on first week of November. CORRECT

iOS 9/watchOS
Public final release date: September 16th CORRECT

Apple Watch
Apple Watch Sport with newer bands and standalone bands launch on September 11. CORRECT, SOME BANDS MAY SHIP LATER
Apple Watch Sport in Yellow Gold and Rose Gold finishes ship on September 18. PARTIALLY CORRECT, SHIPS WITHIN 1 BUSINESS DAY

Last edited:

bitfactory

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
The best thing introduced was the 3D touch, IMO - the way they've integrated all the shortcuts into iOS9 is fantastic and could easily bring quite a few Android users over if it's consistent.

Reactions: nostaws

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
Ugh, totally agree... as soon as I hear his voice now I cringe.

I actually thought the same thing. Look at the bright side ... at least it didn't sound like he was on the verge of tears this time like he has in some of the past videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.