Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's launch of orders for the two new 35-watt dual USB-C power adapters introduced at WWDC, Apple has posted a new support document outlining how power is split when devices are connected to both ports.

apple-dual-usb-c-adapters.jpg

Under most scenarios, the 35 total watts will be split evenly between the two connected devices, with the exception being when one of the devices has relatively low power requirements, such as an Apple Watch or AirPods case.

• If you connect a Mac notebook and an iPhone or iPad, each device receives up to 17.5W.
  • If you connect an iPhone and an iPad, each device receives up to 17.5W.
  • If you connect a Mac notebook or iPhone and an Apple Watch or AirPods, the Mac notebook or iPhone receives up to 27.5W and the Apple Watch or AirPods receive up to 7.5W.

The standard version of the dual USB-C adapter is available worldwide and has a removable plug head for compatibility with international plug heads and extension cables. The compact version is only available in the U.S., Canada, China, Japan, Mexico, and a few other countries that use the Type A plug style. Both versions are priced at $59 in the United States, and the new adapters will ship with higher configurations of the new MacBook Air launching next month.

Article Link: Apple Shares Charging Details for New Dual USB-C Power Adapters

mejsric

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2013
  • If you connect a Mac notebook or iPhone and an Apple Watch or AirPods, the Mac notebook or iPhone receives up to 27.5W and the Apple Watch or AirPods receive up to 7.5W.

27.5W? then other is 17.5W?

edit iPhone and Watch… i get it..
how to remove comments?

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Is the 67w option for fast charging just the regular 67w that already existed. Not a new product? As I already have that, so will get the dual with my M2 😀

Reactions: amartinez1660

Flood4

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2014
Is it asking too much in 2022 to have fast charging (at least when there is only one device plug-in) and 2 ports?

It would have been only one option instead of two, and they could charge more for it. So less SKU, more money and happier customer!

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I'm baffled they didn't do higher wattage. I know MBA is not exactly high-powered, but why not do a dual charger that could fast charge both an iPhone and the mac?

Also, and I almost can't believe I'm asking for this, but why do I have to get a charger bundled? I have 2 x 100w with triple USB-C and 1 USB-A. I don't need new chargers for the foreseeable future.

DFP1989

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I'm baffled they didn't do higher wattage. I know MBA is not exactly high-powered, but why not do a dual charger that could fast charge both an iPhone and the mac?

Also, and I almost can't believe I'm asking for this, but why do I have to get a charger bundled? I have 2 x 100w with triple USB-C and 1 USB-A. I don't need new chargers for the foreseeable future.
Agreed, it’s a perplexing product, and having these two versions of it is even more weird. I know it’s not the first time they’ve done it, but still.

I have a RAVPower 90W GaN dual USB-C PD charger that doesn’t look to be much bigger than this, and it’s fantastic.

maerz001

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2010

Size and money

Reactions: whcchief

G46&Fbnth5

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2021
50W would have been perfect for me, 30W for my Macbook Air and 20W for iPhone/iPad.

I dont even think you can charge and use an MBA with just 17.5W, the iPhone 20W adapter certainly cant so not sure what the point of including this with the MBA is.
The old iPhone 18 W charger can charge even an M1 Max MacBook Pro 16 when it is under light usage.

caelius

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2015
Innsbruck, Austria
Who the hell is going to buy a charger for $70 to begin with? 🤦🏼‍♂️

The only reason we end up with this stupidity from Apple is because people buy this crap.
Why not? I mean, I've never been a huge fan of Apple's chargers as they're usually way bigger than the competition but the price isn't too shocking IMO.

Enclavean

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2018
The old iPhone 18 W charger can charge even an M1 Max MacBook Pro 16 when it is under light usage.
I tried using the 20W that came with my iPad mini for my Macbook Air when studying once, the percentage did not go up at all. Not even heavy usage, just watching videos and doing flashcards.

I do have an intel MBA though, but the wattage they chose is still ridiculous. If they release something like this for the MBP I might just get that one.

Who the hell is going to buy a charger for $70 to begin with? 🤦🏼‍♂️

The only reason we end up with this stupidity from Apple is because people buy this crap.
I agree with you. The charger itself is expensive. But I guess it is Apple we’re talking.

d5aqoëp

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2016
Next iPhone that is iPhone 14 will require exact 19.8524524858 W to charge at full speed otherwise it will default to slow 5W charging. Apple will also release a 39.7049049716 W dual adapter rendering current 35W adapter obsolete.

So all the suckers would have to re-buy the new 39.7049049716 W so that their shiny new iPhone 14 and 14 Pros continue to charge at optimum speed and also optimally reduce their battery health as per Apple's recommendations. New replacement batteries will also be in stock on day 1 along with super huge DIY kits.

This cycle will repeat at the release time of iPhone 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.