Apple Shares 'First Look' at Upcoming Apple TV+ Show 'Truth Be Told'

darkslide29

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I’ve been disappointed in every TV show I’ve tried watching on Apple TV+. I’m really not sure why Apple thought a TV streaming service was necessary. Leave that to the professionals—Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and etc.
From reading different news stories from all of these services, whether it's Netflix, HBO, Apple TV+, Hulu, etc., it seems that all content is basically going to come from the same large talent pool. A show will come to exist, and these companies will get into a bidding war for it. The people who make these shows will likely be creating content for a variety of services, going with whoever offers more for that particular project.

Whether Apple should have entered this is a separate discussion, but my point is just that since it's all a bidding war for content now, services themselves aren't any more professional than others. Or at least that line will continue to blur in the near future.

Gasu E.

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
I’m really not sure why Apple thought a TV streaming service was necessary. Leave that to the professionals—Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and etc.
It almost sounds as though you believe Tim Cook, Eddy Cue, or maybe some MacOS developers are producing these shows. In actually, Apple is relying on the same pool of "professionals" who make shows for "Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and etc." (sic)

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
I’ve been disappointed in every TV show I’ve tried watching on Apple TV+. I’m really not sure why Apple thought a TV streaming service was necessary. Leave that to the professionals—Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and etc.
The worse, spending billions on shows that no one cares about and that they will hardly recoup the money. Instead on spending it on what they know ...product innovation....(or used to know).

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
The biggest thing going against them now is they simply don't have a back catalog. The shows themselves ARE developed & delivered by professionals. Any of the current Apple TV+ series could easily fit on Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.

Now, whether one likes the content is subjective (I just started the Morning Show & I'm enjoying it. The first episode of See was OK, I'll check out the following episodes. Snoopy in Space is classic Peanuts, etc.)

It took most streaming sites a while before their original content broke out or they found a hit (i.e Handmaidens Tale for Hulu). That's just the nature of the industry.

Without a back catalog, there's a heavier spotlight on Apple TV + (and this is partially brought on by their marketing), but within a year, there will be new series, movies & the service will grow. They launched with a few series, but they are expanding. I'll check out this new show (and The Banker, hopefully after it's delay)

As it's been mentioned, there's now law that states if you watch one streaming site, you'll have to ignore another. There's something on Netflix, Disney +, Hulu & Apple I'd watch....the consumer has options.

NMBob

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Hmmm. Looks a little Rectify-esque, which is good. Is it supposed to be multi-season, or a mini-series like Sharp Objects?

Reactions: Ar40

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The worse, spending billions on shows that no one cares about and that they will hardly recoup the money. Instead on spending it on what they know ...product innovation....(or used to know).
Apple is the de facto industry gold standard in much of what they do. The iPhone, watch, iPad and now AirPods. That is too powerful of an ecosystem to squander the opportunity to monetize it. Apple is consistently at or exceeding all of it's competition in practically every hardware segment they compete in.

Although I have to say the secret weapon Apple lacks at this point is Baby Yoda. Hopefully they can create some content that offers such merchandising possibilities at some point.

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Netflix had a lot of ****** shows when they started. You don’t have to watch Apple TV+ content.
See, from my point of view, When netflix started doing original content it was fantastic. Then the quality started going down pretty quickly as they started doing too many different shows at once.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
"Her investigation navigates urgent concerns about privacy, media and race."

And, at the end, all her privacy concerns were assuaged by, and with, the Apple devices in her life.
[Glorious, ripping music playing in the background while the credits roll by.]

• Angry
Reactions: Ar40 and user_xyz

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
I’m not sure I like the “new” Apple. It’s becoming too much of a movie studio and I don’t understand why they would try and start from scratch when they had the opportunity to buy Netflix or even Disney when Steve Jobs was a major influencer there.
It seems to me that all of it is wasted money now because I don’t see people choosing AppleTV+ over Disney+ or even Netflix (with its huge library of older movies) and live TV/sports with Sling/YouTube TV/...
Of course giving AppleTV+ away for one year is one way of showing great subscriber numbers but we all know it’s a Marketing ploy.
I wish Apple would focus on its core competency which is to provide the technology that helps consume the content that’s out there.

I’d rather have Apple think outside the box and design technology to give Internet access to everyone everywhere. Something like wireless technology with satellites to free us up from this huge ugly infrastructure that are cables on poles or cellular antennas in our backyards.
If we can build driverless cars, we sure can make that happen.
If you only follow news about these new shows on AppleTV+, then yes, it might look like they are too much of a movie studio but nothing has changed for the company except a little diversification. They continue to release new phones, iPads, laptops, wearables and tech accessories just like they have for years and decades. The new iPhone has taken the top smartphone back again. AirPods and AirPods Pros are flying off the shelves. Apple dominates wearables. The new MacBook Pro is looking good and the Mac Pro is ready to launch for eager professionals. All of their services (except for News) are doing very well which supports their great hardware lineup.

I'm not sure where customers got the idea that Apple thinks outside of the box. From day one, they have been a product company with great marketing. They never reinvented the wheel, they merely improved it so that our lives also improved. Stop complicating things by piling your dreams and visions of the future onto Apple.

triangletechie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Confused...you don’t like it so it’s bad? The other streamers have tons of poor content. Browse Netflix lately? 2/10 hit shows is doing really well.

Apple will figure this out if they stay with it. Content is all about money which Apple has the most.

There should be zero confusion why Apple is doing it. It's all about offering services to monetize a 1.4B device user base and keep people in the ecosystem. Simple, like it or not.

I’d argue Apple has quality content even in their first attempt. Several of their shows are receiving far better user reviews than the initial reviews indicated.

Go to Rotten Tomatoes or IMDB and check out See, Dickinson, For All Mankind, and The Morning Show.
- - Post merged: - -

Most of their original content is terrible if we are being honest. Netflix has done well on licensed content, which they will lose more and more.
How do you know Apple will figure this out? What track record do they have in producing content?

By next Summer, paying customers will have choices between the big boys Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, HBO Max, and Peacock. I see Apple dead last in that list of services.

ackmondual

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2014
U.S.A., Earth
I'm trying to understand why for a streaming service to be successful customers have to ditch all the other ones. For me Disney+, Apple TV+, Netflix & Amazon is a nice priced «combo». I don't have to quit Netflix in order to watch Apple TV+. I really enjoy the shows so far and I plan to continue after the free period (50€ or 50 dollars +taxes per year its... 4,17€ per month). One coffee.
Probably a cost issue. $5 to $12 a month isn't that much in the whole scheme of things. However, have enough of them, and they do add up. One person I talked to needs to trim down, as there's not enough time to do all of it (including but not limited to Costco, Spotify, Apple Music, Sirius XM, Hulu+, Netflix, CBS All Access, and more not mentioned). Also, with Apple TV+, isn't there a 1-time cost to buy the Apple TV hardware?

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

DevNull0

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2015
The critical “you aren’t Netflix/HBO/Disney” backlash will die down after time. There’s only so much good storytelling you can ignore. It helps to get recognition with award shows, so Apple will make a strong push for the Emmy’s in 2020.
I'm not going to comment on the quality or merit of Apple's content, but I am so incredibly not in their target demographic that it's just amazing. For people who do like this kind of content, I'm happy they can enjoy it.

AppleTV+ has no interest in customers like me, and that's just fine, I can still go on happily enjoying my Mac and watching Disney+ on my Apple TV. I don't have to curse Apple out for not making content for me.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
How do you know Apple will figure this out? What track record do they have in producing content?

By next Summer, paying customers will have choices between the big boys Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, HBO Max, and Peacock. I see Apple dead last in that list of services.
That's very possible, but I think it also depends on what content is available at that point & if Apple has a breakout show.(Netflix surged with Stranger Things.)

One of the big gambles with HBO Max is the price point, which will be $15...the highest entry level point for any of the (standard) streaming services.

Just like Apple+ (New Apple products) & Disney+ (Verizon customers), HBO Max will offer the service to AT&T unlimited customers.....but for all other customers, $15 is triple the cost of Apple & double the price of Disney.

The other point is that, realistically something like Apple TV+ (and even moreso NBC's Peacock) are on a different tier than Netflix & Disney +...but people will ultimately go where the content they want to watch lies.

These streaming sites are all one huge pop culture breakout series or film away from moving up that streaming ladder. Apple has the money & the access to Hollywood (their upcoming slate features plenty of A-List talent).

It just a of matter of having something (The Mandalorian, Stranger Things, Game of Thrones....) that a viewing audience deems as a much watch, if Apple TV+ has a breakout series...new audiences will easily sign up for $5.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Who says their business plan is to beat any of them by next summer? I'm guessing they've planned much further out than that. That soon into the game they may very well be expecting to still be at the bottom. It's not like they were expecting to be #1 overnight. They might not ever plan to be #1. They might play the quality vs quantity card down the line with higher prices to offset difference. A business model they're very familiar with.
- - Post merged: - -

Also, with Apple TV+, isn't there a 1-time cost to buy the Apple TV hardware?
This article summed it up far better than I could:

"You’ll be able to watch Apple TV+ through the TV app on iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, and the Mac, but you’ll also be able to use the TV app on Amazon Fire TV and Roku along with some new sets from Samsung, Roku, LG, Vizio, and Sony. If you have a new set from Samsung, LG, Sony, or Vizio, you should also be able to use AirPlay 2 to broadcast content straight from your iPhone or iPad to the set.

You can watch in Safari, Chrome, or Firefox by heading to tv.apple.com."

Last edited:
Reactions: Ar40 and roronl

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Apple is the de facto industry gold standard in much of what they do. The iPhone, watch, iPad and now AirPods. That is too powerful of an ecosystem to squander the opportunity to monetize it. Apple is consistently at or exceeding all of it's competition in practically every hardware segment they compete in.

Although I have to say the secret weapon Apple lacks at this point is Baby Yoda. Hopefully they can create some content that offers such merchandising possibilities at some point.
At this point trying to compete with Neflix, Disney, Hulu, etc, with limited shows and no catalog it is a waste of money. They should have bought Netflix or similar if they wanted to get into the streaming...

Last edited by a moderator:

az431

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
so because you personally don’t like the shows that means the service is not necessary? I don’t like anything on HBO, therefore it’s not necessary either.

• Love

smoking monkey

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
The only way in to this industry going forward is to make your own content.
Only problem is that all Apple's content is uninspiring, bland and doesn't make you want to watch.
Same goes for Apple Arcade. Overall it's a really poor start for both services.
But Apple has time to evolve. Not looking good though in my opinion.

• Angry

FightTheFuture

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
I'm sure the critiques will die down eventually IF and WHEN Apple proves they are serious in competing in this domain. Right now, it seems like just a ploy to get people to be aware of AppleTV+.

The recognition with award shows is a false positive mostly other than building a resumé up for cast, crew, and writers. The average viewer doesn't care for Emmys given that viewership went down 32% over the last year.

I think the Apple's narrative of "great storytelling" is subjective. I actually don't think people are ignoring as that implies people are intentionally looking the other way. I think most people just simply don't care.
I would say they don't care given the glut of services available and the last thing they want to do is add another - but that's why it's 'free.' Consider how many people bought an iPad, Mac or iPhone this year? All those guys get a year of TV+. This is the same method as Amazon Prime, a value add.

I would also argue that noone really cared about Transparent or Orange is the New Black before the accolades started rolling in. I resisted and still haven't watched many of these 'great' shows on Netflix or Prime. Not every show is interesting to that viewer, which seems to be the problem with TV+. It's not the quality of the show, as much as finding it's audience. Not every show is going to be as big as Game of Thrones. Just ask the guys who made Westworld.

Mtmspa

Suspended
May 13, 2013
Then why are you here commenting? It’s not like we aren’t going to watch because you are an ATV+ hater.

Last edited:

archer75

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
At this point trying to compete with Neflix, Disney, Hulu, etc, with limited shows and no catalog it is a waste of money. They should have bought Netflix or similar if they wanted to get into the streaming...
They don't really have to compete with other streaming services. Everyone offers something different. This isn't an either or thing. You subscribe and watch what you want, cancel when you want and move on.

If I wasn't getting Netflix for free I would cancel right now as they don't have anything that interests me. Though I'd come back for the Witcher and some new seasons of others(binge and leave)
If prime video wasn't part of prime shipping I would have cancelled that as I've watched all they have that I want to. Though I'd come back for the expanse. And LoTR and wheel of time when those launch(and some others, binge and leave).
If it wasn't for the mandalorian I wouldn't be subscribed to disney+ as they don't have anything I haven't seen or don't already own. Though I'd come back for their future marvel series.

If I wasn't getting ATV+ for free would I subscribe to it? Absolutely! I'm enjoying everything they have right now. And they have a ton of stuff coming that looks to be quality.

You see, they don't have to have a ton of content. There's only so many hours in the day. I couldn't watch more if they had it. I only need just enough.
Besides, ATV+ isn't meant to be a stand alone sustainable service. It brings people to apple. It adds value to their other products. By itself it doesn't have to turn a profit if it can generate sales in other areas for them.
If other companies exist in a space should no other companies try and enter that space? To say no is just silly. New companies pop up in an existing space all the time! Some fail, some have some success and others can come in and complete change the market.

Last edited by a moderator: