Apple Shares 'First Look' at Upcoming Apple TV+ Show 'Truth Be Told'

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
How do you know Apple will figure this out? What track record do they have in producing content?

By next Summer, paying customers will have choices between the big boys Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, HBO Max, and Peacock. I see Apple dead last in that list of services.
Their track record of success in general and lately in services proves their management is the best executing team on the planet. They also have more cash than anyone to buy, create, or license whatever they need to make it successful. This game is largely about money...ask Netflix and their constant need to raise capital, something Apple and Disney don’t have to worry about.

We’ll see. I cancelled Netflix for lack of quality content and have Disney+ and Apple TV+. Apple is just getting started and Netflix has likely peaked. People can also choose multiple services.

Reactions: modernmeat

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I have to say I’ve enjoyed The Morning Show. I haven’t really watched any of the others yet. But I do agree with others. They should’ve partners with Disney or another streaming service. It would’ve helped our their catalog in the beginning.
Yeah that would be ideal. A respectable number of launch catalog would be far more enticing. But I believe it would cost a lot more than $4.99 for Family Sharing. I doubt Apple would even give a year free With hardware purchase, if that’s the case.

sidewinder3000

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2010
Chicagoland
I’ve been disappointed in every TV show I’ve tried watching on Apple TV+. I’m really not sure why Apple thought a TV streaming service was necessary. Leave that to the professionals—Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and etc.
You sound like all the people who said Apple was a computer company and shouldn’t try to make a phone. That they should leave that to the telcomm pros. My guess is that like them you will be proven spectacularly wrong.
- - Post merged: - -

The AppleTV app (on Apple TV) is so confusing I’m not sure what A+ offers despite having a free year. It keeps trying to send me to Netflix or services I don’t even pay for.
For me, Apple TV simplifies my TV viewing by putting everything into one simple interface. I absolutely love it.

Last edited:

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
I am having trouble with the notion of "America's obsession with crime podcasts." While I am quite into podcasts, I have never had the desire to listen to one of those true crime podcasts. Also, while podcasts have gained in popularity, they are still a sliver of the overall media landscape.

If Apple is trying to become a major media player, why are they doing shows about podcasters and carpool karaoke? These shows are non events when compared to anything on HBO: GoT, Westworld, Watchmen, etc. This is why I am skeptical of Apple's media strategy, as well as critical of the overblown reporting on these shows.

• Angry
Reactions: Ar40

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
You sound like all the people who said Apple was a computer company and shouldn’t try to make a phone. That they should leave that to the telcomm pros. My guess is that like them you will be proven spectacularly wrong.
Spot on... And how about Apple getting into the music business in the early 2000s? Especially when the industry was dying. And did anybody ever ask for having "a thousand songs in your pocket?"

The nerve of Apple getting into something they knew nothing about.

• Haha
Reactions: sidewinder3000

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Only problem is that all Apple's content is uninspiring, bland and doesn't make you want to watch.
Same goes for Apple Arcade. Overall it's a really poor start for both services.
But Apple has time to evolve. Not looking good though in my opinion.
So did i get it right? You haven't even watched them?

I wasn't Interested about any Apple shows, but i got the service free and just gave a change for the shows and so far i'm enjoying everything i have watched. Production quality is really good, shows looks very good visually and all of them getting better after every episode.

I think it's really good start for the Apple tv+ service and shows how it's quality over quantity.

Reactions: Ar40 and roronl

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
You see, they don't have to have a ton of content. There's only so many hours in the day. I couldn't watch more if they had it. I only need just enough.
Besides, ATV+ isn't meant to be a stand alone sustainable service. It brings people to apple. It adds value to their other products. By itself it doesn't have to turn a profit if it can generate sales in other areas for them.
If other companies exist in a space should no other companies try and enter that space? To say no is just silly. New companies pop up in an existing space all the time! Some fail, some have some success and others can come in and complete change the market.
Sorry, but your arguments do not make sense whatsoever. Why a company that have no experience whatsoever in producing streaming content and has zero catalog will invest billions of dollars in creating content and enter an overcrowded space (Netflix, Disney, etc)???
It simply DOES NOT make business sense whatsoever. No PC users will switch to Apple products, to see its very limited content. And very few people will pay even 4.99 to see a few limited shows. And according to you, the value it supposedly adds, it is not worth the return on the money that Apple invested.

so because you personally don’t like the shows that means the service is not necessary? I don’t like anything on HBO, therefore it’s not necessary either.
Apple has no experience in streaming, has very few shows, and no content/catalog of shows/movies to provide to the users. It is entering an overcrowded space late in the game to compete against other companies like Netflix, Disney, etc that already have a big catalog.
Apple should have aquired Netflix, Hulu or similar...

Apple trying to enter the streaming would be like Disney trying to create an iPhone line.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Angry
Reactions: PC_tech and Ar40

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
How do you know Apple will figure this out? What track record do they have in producing content?

By next Summer, paying customers will have choices between the big boys Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, Disney+, HBO Max, and Peacock. I see Apple dead last in that list of services.
Surprising that you think Apple producing these contents?

Shows are produced by professional show and movie makers.

Currently i'm most interested about Apple TV+ offerings, why? Because they don't have many shows and when they add new shows it's clearly going to be quality content. When i open netflix i feel overwhelmed by the amount content they have, i really don't want to start watching anything because most what netflix offers is b quality crap. They put lot of new stuff out all the time, i don't have time to try to find good content.

I think Apple strenght is the small library with very high production quality.

Also Apple have all the money in the world to make this as big they want. I see very good future for Apple TV+

Not so good for Netflix. They try to grow too fast because they are in panic mode. Currently netflix is spending more money for new content than they are getting money from new users. So things aren't looking good for netflix.

Eventually Apple will be in top with other players who have "endless" amount of money to spend. Netflix isn't one of those.

smoking monkey

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
So did i get it right? You haven't even watched them?

I wasn't Interested about any Apple shows, but i got the service free and just gave a change for the shows and so far i'm enjoying everything i have watched. Production quality is really good, shows looks very good visually and all of them getting better after every episode.

I think it's really good start for the Apple tv+ service and shows how it's quality over quantity.
Mate, even for free they aren't very good. There is no killer app. No show that screams must watch TV. The shows I did watch out of curiosity were bog standard. That's fine if you like a TV show because it looks good, but for me, that doesn't cut it.

Personally, I think if you are enjoying everything you've watched on there, you probably didn't have high expectations to begin with.

Apple has no experience in streaming, has very few shows, and no content/catalog of shows/movies to provide to the users. It is entering an overcrowded space late in the game to compete against other companies like Netflix, Disney, etc that already have a big catalog.
Totally agree. You would think with all their money, they'd have tried to acquire a streaming service that actually had a catalogue of shows that people could actually watch apart from their crappy efforts so far.

It seems like an incredible amount of money to be throwing away. They surely have crunched the numbers and seen this as something that will mature in 5 years and will then start to bring in the money once they have a catalogue of stuff. But so far, NOTHING will make people want to sign up. They need a water cooler show. BUT if they do that now, it won't work because people will join and then have nothing else to watch and get bored.

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Apple entering overcrowded space late in the game. I wonder where i've heard this before ;)

iPhone, iPad, Apple watch, Apple music, AirPods. Apple maps. What else :)

You are forgetting the fact that netflix been out for a long time. Lot of people got bored by it and want something fresh. I personally don't want to watch anything from netflix, like i said before, they try to grow too fast and forgetting the quality.

Same for disney, why i need their old catalogue for movies i watched when i was kid. Again zero interest towards disney.

Do you see, it's not like big catalogue of old content make your service great automaticly. I'm personally lot more Interested about ATV+ shows and the fact there's not too much to watch. I have life outside TV too. Getting something new to watch every weekend suits very well to me, especially when i know it's going to be good quality content when i have time to watch it.

You need to understand that there's different needs for everyone and all these services will find their users, i don't understand why people keep saying the streaming service market is overcrowded. There's always room for a good quality original shows. Also the best part with these services are the fact that you can buy them for one month and then try different if you don't like the one you bought or tried free. I have tried many and i can't find them worth of more than free month try. Currently i have ATV+ and so far enjoying see, dickinson and morning show lot more than i expected. Lot of people are saying for all mankind is great show so need to try that too. I'm very Interested servant and this new truth be told. I think the speed for new content is pleasant. I'm movieholic so i wouldn't need catalogue of old movie which i've already have seen many times.

Personally, I think if you are enjoying everything you've watched on there, you probably didn't have high expectations to begin with.
I didn't had any expectations, i just tried new shows and check if like them or not and so far i'm liking. It's not that serious like many trying to make it be ;)

If you didn't like them it's Ok! Still remember you are only ONE person just like me. It's weird how all the negative talk about the shows try to make that their opinion is better than someone else.

Currently all the shows have very high audience score in imdb and rotten tomatoes. So clearly the shows have found their audience. Some like and some doesn't. Like i said it's not that serious ;)

Apple knows very well what they are doing with ATV+ and the service going to get get bigger and better all the time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ar40 and roronl

fireandmirth

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Like ¼ of the folks here said, the content is dull as dishwater.
But it's fun to watch Apple get into a trainwreck.
And I'm an Apple fan.

I wonder how long it will last before crumpling.
The other day this site or another mentioned Apple planning to bundle +, News, Arcade, and Music… or some combo of those. Sounds like an attempt to hide the numbers on poor performance. It's not a bad idea though.

Really, the only thing going for plus is the lengthy free subscriptions. Actual subscriptions are probably hovering at near zero. I know no one who has expressed any positive interest in the service.

Contrast to Disney+. We got a year subscription on day one. Mentioned it to a few friends, and all had done exactly the same. I reckon Disney+ has a good shot of upsetting even the orbit of Netflix. Looking forward to the D+ quarterly stats besting 50 million subscribers in just 1Q.

• Angry
Reactions: jw2002 and Ar40

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Like ¼ of the folks here said, the content is dull as dishwater.
But it's fun to watch Apple get into a trainwreck.
And I'm an Apple fan.
If you are Apple fan you don't know much about Apple then as a company or understand their position as o company?

How can you dismiss Apple billion userbase and all the money they have?

I can't see how the service can fail with their size of userbase and all the money they can spend for the shows. It doesn't need to be instant hit, they have to start somewhere just like everyone else. Remember how people said Apple watch is flop because it wasn't instant hit. Now it's the most popular watch, not just smartwatch, but best selling watch in the world it got better every year. Just like ATV+ will get better and bigger every month when new shows coming.

Why didn't you like the shows? Have you even watched any?

Also about Disney, i see zero reason to subscribe. Their content is very boring and mostly meant for children and i'm not star wars fan so i don't see anything what i could watch from there.

• Angry
Reactions: jw2002 and Ar40

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
I’ve been disappointed in every TV show I’ve tried watching on Apple TV+. I’m really not sure why Apple thought a TV streaming service was necessary. Leave that to the professionals—Netflix, Hulu, HBO, and etc.
I’m not really on board with Apple doing this either but there’s a lot of garbage with those other content providers. Not all their stuff is good.

All they need is money, and hire some good executives to run it. And keep Eddy Cue and Tim Cook out of it. I thought there was a rumor they might be doing a deal with the former head of HBO. I hope they snatch him up before someone else does.

Reactions: sinsin07

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
All these entertainment companies see a gigantic opportunity. However, there is a gigantic flaw in ALL their M.O.s: myopic mammonism.

Entertainment used to have major, prestige moments every year, month, week. Now, there is no such moment, aside from perhaps a few Marvel films or other franchises. And football is now king of the entertainment schedule. If you look at the cable/broadcast ratings, they are a fragment of what they were 20+ years ago. Most "hit" shows make under 1% of the entire US population. So there is hope to regain that gold ring of ratings and prestige.

However, they churn out the identical garbage in larger loads, hoping something valuable is in the mess.

None of these companies connect to the titan potential audience out there, and focus on subcultures and unpopular themes or ideologies. They aren't interested in large audiences, in reality, though they believe they will bend audiences to their product just by creating it. And that is one reason they are just throwing money down a toilet.

fireandmirth

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2019
Also about Disney, i see zero reason to subscribe. Their content is very boring and mostly meant for children and i'm not star wars fan so i don't see anything what i could watch from there.
You're in the minority. How many memes have you seen from an Apple+ show? Zero. How many memes have you already seen of Baby Yoda? Scads. Disney know how to tell stories.

Sure, Apple may get there one day. I'm not seeing it. Past success is not a guarantee of future success, especially when we're playing in a different arena. Not the difference between apples and oranges - more like the difference between apples and jumping. But sure, you're correct - maybe it will surprise.

So far, it's all shockingly uninteresting — nothing registers even a 1 on the richter scale for me. And I had no prior reason to dislike it. I mean, except maybe for their poor performance with the Planet of the Apps and that other show they did.

Contrast w/ D+ where a great many of their programmes appeal from the start. I have kids, my better half and I like both Marvel and Star Wars (and Pixar and Disney), and there's lots of nostalgia programming to attract everyone, grandparents down to little ones. A no brainer for us and those in our circles. D+ is a Godzilla to the A+ niche offering.

stevet

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2009
Netflix and Hulu originals are garbage now. They had one or two hits that have now gone by and they are quantity over quality now.

You're in the minority. How many memes have you seen from an Apple+ show? Zero. How many memes have you already seen of Baby Yoda? Scads. Disney know how to tell stories.
I dont think your calibrated correctly to determine minority and majority. Based on your barometer (memes).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I’m not sure I like the “new” Apple. It’s becoming too much of a movie studio and I don’t understand why they would try and start from scratch when they had the opportunity to buy Netflix or even Disney when Steve Jobs was a major influencer there.
It seems to me that all of it is wasted money now because I don’t see people choosing AppleTV+ over Disney+ or even Netflix (with its huge library of older movies) and live TV/sports with Sling/YouTube TV/...
Of course giving AppleTV+ away for one year is one way of showing great subscriber numbers but we all know it’s a Marketing ploy.
I wish Apple would focus on its core competency which is to provide the technology that helps consume the content that’s out there.

I’d rather have Apple think outside the box and design technology to give Internet access to everyone everywhere. Something like wireless technology with satellites to free us up from this huge ugly infrastructure that are cables on poles or cellular antennas in our backyards.
If we can build driverless cars, we sure can make that happen.
At the current price point, it is something that a lot of people are probably subscribing to and just forgetting about. I use to be that way with Netflix until the price for 4K/HDR went through the roof.

AnotherOpinion

macrumors newbie
Feb 16, 2015
Excited to continue enjoying this free service! I might not start this right away, since I am already waiting to start For All Mankind while I watch See and TMS and I happen to be a Shyamalan fan, so Servant will probably be on my watch list when this debuts. Everyone has been bitching about the amount of content on ATV+, but I can hardly keep up.
I am also equally impressed by this new streaming service. The Morning Show is excellent, and I am not a fan of the main leads, but it's a very compelling series… And I also started For All Mankind and look forward to getting into that. This new movie looks amazing… I am seeing a very bold and strong voice that Apple TV + is crafting with the types of media it's producing. I am now loving it way more than I was hoping I would.

Duel

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
You're in the minority.
I know lot of people who think exact same than i do about disney+ And you know there's nothing wrong with that, like i said it's not that serious. It's us viewers who are winning getting more and better content. You can enjoy your disney+. And i can enjoy my ATV+. It's good that we both have found something interesting to watch, right? That's why there's room for these services because everyone have different needs and taste.

Apple won't have any problem to find viewers for their service, just like disney won't have. Those two services are mostly meant for different kind of viewers.