Apple Shares New Ad Showcasing Portrait Lighting Mode on the iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 30, 2017.

1. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

downtown L.A.
    8th st / Maple ave.

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 1.45.12 PM.jpg

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Bummer that the ad is a "preview" of live video, but it gives the feeling it works all the time.. it doesn't. it's a photo. Thankfully if we can preview live, we can also record live with screen recorded and still get that - just at a lower resolution.

3. citysnaps macrumors 68030

I suspect the second camera simply doesn’t fit in the regular sized iPhone 8.

4. Dagless, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017

Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm. I really don’t like Portrait Modes theatre function. It doesn’t look like the person is against a black background - it just looks Photoshopped. Which it kinda is, but you’d expect it to look better.

But I’m really enjoying the bokeh one. I love my 60D with 50mm lens, it’s a lot more fun to use than this, which is slow to use and finicky but good in a pinch.

However. The standard camera itself is phenomenal for the size. I’m really blown away by how good photos look in every situation I’ve thrown it at. Night time the camera is blur-free and can see better than the naked eye! I went on a photo adventure around a rainy Manchester one evening/night and it didn’t let me down. Live Photo’s (my first device that supports them) are game-changingly amazing. I’ve got one of a fountain that has lights underneath it, and with a “loop” Live Photo it just cycles through with no obvious cut.

So glad I bought this phone! Glad I waited and didn’t get the 6s or 7.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 1, 2017 ---
    I should probably upload said night shots.

414B2C03-2346-4F52-82B5-171BB67C62EF.jpeg DF1391C1-2B43-42AB-93DD-1554D657C0D2.jpeg C26C997B-FFE3-4DD6-9B05-45DF30CF9F17.jpeg

5. PaulRustad007 macrumors regular

PaulRustad007

how do we know it was not?

6. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Then you'd be wrong. :) That phone has more than enough real estate that they could easily fit those components.

7. citysnaps macrumors 68030

Source for that?

8. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Nice pic. I wonder if some of this hate is just people defending the sometimes thousands spent on DSLRs and lenses. A good photographer can take a good photograph with any camera. The iPhone portrait/studio mode is just another tool I can add to my photography box.

An old photography quote comes to mind, "..amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light".

9. citysnaps macrumors 68030

I think your assessment is spot-on! And, if there’s an opportunity to rag on Apple at the same time, well, that’s a two-for that shouldn’t be passed up.

Also... I think a lot of photographers are insecure, in that opening photography to millions of people through camera phones is somehow threatening. As if their creative genre is under attack. Or, that it’s not real photography unless it’s from canon/nikon/etc. Truth be told, I’ve seen a lot more creativie photography through people using phones.

I wonder if similar pushback came from professional writers when word processing came to the masses in the late 1970s, and all of a sudden millions of common folk could easily explore creative writing endeavors. Perish the thought!

10. lunarworks macrumors 6502a

My former boss took photography in college, and had previously a small photography business, and he was super-critical of photography to an annoying degree. (I quickly stopped showing him my stuff.)

I saw his portfolio, and it was mostly generic wedding photos and portraits for business people. The dullest **** you can imagine.

A lot of these photography snobs are all technical skills, and zero creativity. Yay. You took a technically perfect photo of a mountain range. Never seen that before.

11. citysnaps macrumors 68030

So true on a lot of wedding photography. Most is boring and staid. And that’s why after the photographer delivers the photo album, after a week or two of use it goes into a box and stays buried in a closet or attic for decades.

12. flat five, Oct 1, 2017

flat five macrumors 601

flat five

highly unlikely.
    the cars are normal cars being driven by normal people..
    the paid actors are the people you can identify.. maybe a couple of extras in there.. not all go through makeup.

a smaller production.. 10-15 person crew..
    it's a 1/2 day location shoot tops (all the video was likely shot within the same hour (see shadows)..

not a blockbuster style shoot where all the streets and whatnot would be closed down.

----

for example, the people and cars other than her in this shot aren't being paid.. they're just driving home from work (or whatever)

Screen Shot 2017-10-01 at 3.25.53 PM.png

13. Markgnyc2 macrumors member

Interesting thing I found last night....my wife got an 8+, and took pics with stage lighting. On my 7+, I can edit them and change the background to natural lighting, contour, etc. You basically get the same UI as when you take the pic on the 8+.

14. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

There's probably some of that...

... and there's probably some of that too.

There's also a little compunction in some of us to ignore the constructive discussions and focus only on the posts that fit our narrative. This thread is 7 pages deep and there are plenty of posts that don't fit the "hate" profile. Also, criticism and hate aren't interchangeable terms. I think hate gets thrown around to easily.

15. HMFIC03 macrumors regular

HMFIC03

Worst Apple ad ever, well the “I’m a Mac..” were terrible too

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hmm. Maybe. It depends on the person. I’m a hobbyist with some expensive equipment, though I have been paid for a few jobs. I love that photography is opening up to many like this! I think of it as a gateway drug too. Sure portrait mode can look good, but playing with a prime lens is a lot more creative and easy! And then shooting in RAW to *really* get into editing. I love that Apple have made parts of it so easy… like when you adjust that LIGHT or COLOUR slider it changes a lot of “values” at once. Photos look incredible with that. But then using Lightroom to really get under the hood, man that’s good! I know a bunch of people from my climbing and archery groups that went from using their phones to DSLRs (not all the time mind you) because they were introduced to ‘pretty photos’ as one of them told me :D

I love that thanks in part to Apple all those photos you see online are looking awesome. Pretty soon it’ll be impossible to take a bad photo. But the ceiling, the mastery, also rises up too.

17. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

8+ years at BlackBerry managing Engineering teams and involved in handheld roadmap planning, over 20 years in tech and telecom.

Apple could easily accommodate the 8+ camera in the 8 - it's one of the differentiators to get people to pay for the higher $ handheld. That's entirely the point.

18. macbeta macrumors member

macbeta

Good choice to get a model with short hair - from what i've seen it fails miserably for long flowing hair. ;)

19. mdatwood macrumors 6502a

Of course the new camera modes have some weird issues. So what if it's not perfect, put that mode into the hands of millions and you're going to see some very cool pics come out. My wife hates messing with my dslr, and takes/edits some amazing shots with her iPhone7. She recently played with my 7+ and is now hounding me for when she gets it as a hand me down.

20. Unami, Oct 1, 2017

Unami macrumors 6502a

it tells you that those two (background and foreground) were shot separately. you wouldn‘t see what‘s behind if they were only masking for color grading.

that portion of her walking was probably shot in front of a greenscreen. that‘s also why it feels a bit „off“ or detached. another point why this ad feels amateurish and rushed if they didn‘t notice that mistake.

another scene that‘s pretty strange is when she grabs the hat. feels pretty forced, doesn‘t it? „look ma, it‘s supposed to look like it‘s the same scene“. it doesn‘t help, that the keying is not very good, either. just look at her shoulders and hair...

21. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502a

chucker23n1

Orrrrr we could apply the much simpler explanation that there isn't enough room in the 8 for a second sensor.

22. mistafro macrumors regular

So less than 0.0000001% of phones sold... yeah you have a higher chance of being struck by lightning, dying and waking up in the afterlife surrounded by 100 virgins... seriously

23. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

We're now on the 3rd generation of the + sized phone having an enhanced camera. You really want to cling to that belief?

24. chucker23n1 macrumors 6502a

chucker23n1

The belief that optics require room? The belief that the Plus phones have more such room?

25. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Right, because the back of the 8 is already full. No room for more optics.

Seriously? Apple is making their own silicon. Do you really think they would see an engineering challenge with fitting the same camera from the + on the PCB for the smaller sized phone?

This is entirely about revenue - why it has been so for the last 3 years. If it wasn't for the camera, there's many customers that wouldn't be opting for the larger handheld. This is why Apple does it. If the only differentiator was the screen, what's the incentive?

Don't think there's room? They removed the headphone jack and did what with that space? :)

/fin Not debating this further....to what end?