Apple Shares New Ad Showcasing Portrait Lighting Mode on the iPhone 8 Plus

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Cesar Battistini macrumors regular

Cesar Battistini

This is beta, I can see this function coming to video in the future!

2. kemal macrumors 65816

kemal

so the feature only works on women with shortened hair who are not allowed to eat until after the shoot. Great.

3. JohnnyAppleSeed1964 macrumors newbie

JohnnyAppleSeed1964

This ad gives the impression that portrait lighting works on video..

I tried using Portrait Mode in video and there is no option to do so....ONLY in Portrait Mode. So how did they record that video using all the Portrait Modes?

4. Giantscruz macrumors member

Giantscruz

Lol. Shutter sounds are clearly heard around second 19 of the ad. I'm not sure I can or want to help you anymore than that.

5. Goldfrapp, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017

Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Again, you're not listening. I said "as she WALKS", which is the first 18 seconds. Yes, at 19 seconds, there are plenty of loud shutters heard, even the deaf can hear them. But I ain't talkin about those. I'm talkin about zero shutters during the first 18 seconds, which implies it works with video.

To recap:

#asSheWALKS
    #first18Seconds
    #zeroShutters
    #worksWithVideo

Capisce?

6. UKinEK macrumors regular

UKinEK

This kind of photography is my favourite
    Almost every picture looks like an art, opposed to over saturated pop effects

kind

7. Anniefan macrumors newbie

Anniefan

Bingo. At first I thought it was a trailer for a horror flick. Sorry but I find the model very unsettling.

8. Giantscruz macrumors member

Giantscruz

Uhh no.

You replied to my point Of

"There is even a shutter sound in the ad, something you don't hear when filming a video."

With
    "No, dude, you are trippin'. As she walks, there is absolutely no shutter sound heard. Perhaps you hear them in your head? That's a whole different issue though."

You also hash tagged Zeroshutters, yet we agree there are shutter sounds.

So to recap-
    I made a claim that shutter sound could be heard in the ad.

You said I was wrong based on some "straw-man" argument that the sound was not at a certain specific point in time when she was walking. (which I made I made no mention of ???)

I called you on it.

You said I wasn't listening which is humorous, because you were the one currently smack in the middle of a whole not listening fest.

I called you on it again.

9. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Dude, we were talking about the first two thirds of the ad where absolutely zero shutters are heard, while you were talking about the last third of the ad. We're on two different pages. Case closed.

10. recoil80 macrumors 68020

Portrait lighting is good, but it only works when taking pictures outdoors in good light.
    I'm quite happy with my 8+ camera but they need to improve low light pictures, the telephoto lenses don't have OIS and I can really feel it.
    X will be better, but I'm not sure how much better.