Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madKIR

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2010
NYC
I clearly remember all the hype and hoopla that followed the iPhone 6 Plus release. How great the camera was supposed to be, the wonderful optical image stabilization, the sheer beauty of the photos. That was when the "Shot With iPhone" media blitz started.

Well I can tell you (since I have an iPhone 6 Plus) that it's a pretty crappy camera. Not horrible, but far far from being "good".

So what did I learn?
Whatever Apple and reviewers say about iPhone cameras (any of them) is BS hype.
Don't believe what they're trying to sell/tell you. iPhone cameras aren't that good and the Pro will be no exception to their long lineage of mediocrity.

Sure, they're a technological marvel, but the end result, the picture, ain't so hot. They're all point & shoot cameras & always will be. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect spectacular results.
As someone who has a full-frame sensor camera, I can tell that computational photography has come a long way since 2014 when the iPhone 6 was released. Especially, when it comes to HDR. My iPhone X can produce very similar pics to my Sony a7iii. The XS was even better due to more software optimizations. Now the 11 is supposed to be even better in that department as well. Also, the iPhone 6 Plus camera was very decent for its time. I had a 6S Plus, which had the same camera, for 2 years and took some great pics with it. Let's not forget that these devices are super compact and light compared to fully-equipped crop-size sensor or full-size sensor cameras. It's truly amazing what they can do nowadays.

austriak

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2011
I would have liked for it to hit the front of the phone. I don't case as much about the back but I know they did the back because you can't tell which iphone it is from the front.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
See how Apple's ads convey a message?

You can believe it or not, but you walk away knowing WTF is trying to be communicated.

Take notes, Samsung.
They do. Did not they just release a commercial conveying a message that Samsung phones have boken in video and iPhones don't? I am not sure what message this Apple ad conveys. That iPhones have a camera?

mike...

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2008
I'm sorry but this is absolute cringe. Suggesting the iPhone is tough because you shot a rubber duck at it? Or because you dropped it gently on to a bouncy rubber floor? Come on...

I expect Samsug to do a piss take of this advert in a matter of days.

MacMan988

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2012
After seeing the sudden surge of hate comments around social networks when the iPhone 11 was announced, the question on my mind is whether it would be safe to use a new iPhone in a public place?

Damoh

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2017
I love how comments are disabled for all Apple YouTube videos. Gee, I wonder why...?
Yeah, to avoid stupid comments by even more stupid people claiming that this ad is nothing but a stupid-funny marketing-gag.
[doublepost=1568405626][/doublepost]
Patience everyone, drop test videos will be demonstrated shortly.
*kinda unrealistic and forced damage-videos

sgbnyc

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2019
looks invincible to flying garbage but mostly only wanted to see it drop to the ground... since that's literally the only thing that anyone cares about.

Internet Enzyme

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2016
I clearly remember all the hype and hoopla that followed the iPhone 6 Plus release. How great the camera was supposed to be, the wonderful optical image stabilization, the sheer beauty of the photos. That was when the "Shot With iPhone" media blitz started.

Well I can tell you (since I have an iPhone 6 Plus) that it's a pretty crappy camera. Not horrible, but far far from being "good".

So what did I learn?
Whatever Apple and reviewers say about iPhone cameras (any of them) is BS hype.
Don't believe what they're trying to sell/tell you. iPhone cameras aren't that good and the Pro will be no exception to their long lineage of mediocrity.

Sure, they're a technological marvel, but the end result, the picture, ain't so hot. They're all point & shoot cameras & always will be. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect spectacular results.

i agree. Every year they talk about how awesome the camera is, but rarely is it ever materially obvious the gains that are claimed. For all the talk about “computational photography”, there is simply nothing that can beat physics. I see all these camera comparisons and they’re all fairly surface level and entirely detached from true quality. The camera demos remind me a lot of the game demos: in relative terms, impressive—but in absolute ones? the cameras are on or slightly above the level of a good point and shoot or entry-level dslr.

I admit, this is all kind of discouraging and sanctimonious, but I think it’s important to have perspective with these things. it’s hard to have an absolute perspective on quality if your only camera experience is with iPhones, budget point and shoots, and perhaps a low-level kit-lens jpeg experience with some canon t5 or whatever.

i get it: most people just want to be able to pictures with the camera they have with them. And it is important to acknowledge the technical feat that the iPhone is. but it’s also important to understand the true extent of the road ahead, and it’s frustrating, how perennially this **** occurs: people try to squeeze and distort the distance between high quality cameras and the iPhone, when it’s incredibly obvious how paltry the cameras actually are to anyone who has perspective on photography. sure, a great cinematographer can take awesome video with an iPhone, but there’s a reason why most talented people opt for a mirrorless or a dedicated video camera when it comes down to actually enacting their art

Last edited:

LonestarOne

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2019
McKinney, TX
It is only IP68 for the first month or so... after that it will loose all the seals and protections. EverythingApplePro mentioned how he accidentally (this time) he dropped his phone and water and the camera stopped working.

The camera lens may cloud up due to moisture, but it will dry out after a short time. The camera does not stop working. (This has happened to me while swimming with my dogs. Yes, with my phone. Because I need to take photos of my dogs while they are swimming. What, doesn’t everyone do that?)

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
The message is that it can withstand getting hit by broccoli and a soft glove? Not a very good message this time.

The dog commercial does it is better.
It conveyed the message of being resilient to "whatever is thrown at it." The materials don't matter. People will see it and get the message.

For the masses, it's very clear in my opinion.

BobCochran1

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2018
I think it was pretty cruel to the dog in the video -- in that wind chamber. I protest the use of animals in this way.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
I am a massive Apple fan but... I believe the Note 10+ and One Plus 7 Pro are legitimate competitors.
Sure, but "way better?"

I mean, they run Android for starters. Do not want that. Apple supports their devices...huge win. More private, more secure, truly great cameras, and industry leading silicon. iPhones have very long usable lives too and thus hold value better for resale.

Note 10+ has great hardware...but not as great of a full user experience...for me and many iOS users.

Reactions: ikir

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
No warning on the first video that your warranty is void if your phone gets wet.

Class action and false advertising lawsuits incoming, just like Samsung (I think?) had.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Awesome videos, the dog one is pretty funny
[doublepost=1568406940][/doublepost]
No warning on the first video that your warranty is void if your phone gets wet.

Class action lawsuit incoming, just like Samsung (I think?) had.
Just because if you damage it you void the water resistance. It is pretty logic, for Samsung too.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Sure, but "way better?"

I mean, they run Android for starters. Do not want that. Apple supports their devices...huge win. More private, more secure, truly great cameras, and industry leading silicon. iPhones have very long usable lives too and thus hold value better for resale.

Note 10+ has great hardware...but not as great of a full user experience...for me and many iOS users.

Apple phones lose over $500 per year in value. Most Android phones barely cost that much in the first place so if you use them for 2 years you're in profit.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
Pretty funny ads that aren't to be taken literally.

Only on the internet could people take it all so seriously and think that Apple are claiming the iPhone 11 Pro can withstand the broccoli test :D

an_apple.a.day

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
funny - but show it dropping on a subway platform. because Apple is advertising the toughness of the glass i'm not going to put a case on it. if it cracks I will promptly march it down to the apple store with this video playing on its cracked screen and ask them to fix it.
and they will promptly tell you $299 plus tax. buy applecare, or don't drop your phone you entitled baby.

Reactions: StyxMaker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.