Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the launch of iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Pro pre-orders, Apple today shared two new videos highlighting iPhone 11 Pro features.

The first video features random objects, food, and water being hurled at the iPhone 11 Pro to demonstrate the device's increased durability.

Apple says its new iPhones are made from a tougher glass and both the 11 and 11 Pro have improved IP68 water resistance ratings.

The second video highlights the new triple-lens camera system with 12-megapixel wide, ultra wide, and telephoto lenses.

In the video, a dog enters a wind simulator and the iPhone's three cameras are used to demonstrate the different focal lengths and also Night Mode, which is designed to take bright, crisp photos even in very low lighting conditions.

Pricing on Apple's iPhone 11 Pro starts at $999, and the device is available for pre-order starting today. It will begin arriving in the hands of customers on Friday, September 20.

Update: Apple has shared a third video called "Cinematic Tests," demonstrating 4K video capture. The video was part of Tuesday's event.

Article Link: Apple Shares New iPhone 11 Pro Videos Highlighting Durability and Camera Capabilities [Updated]

Reactions: ikir and ruslan120

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
funny - but show it dropping on a subway platform. because Apple is advertising the toughness of the glass i'm not going to put a case on it. if it cracks I will promptly march it down to the apple store with this video playing on its cracked screen and ask them to fix it.

kodos

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
Nothing hard to throw against it? Strange. That's what I'm really concerned about. Not a storm of rubber duckies.

Also, it would be more meaningful to put a competitor phone in there to see what happens. My guess is it would ace the test like the iPhone. My iPhone 4 might have aced it too. I dropped that thing on all kinds of surfaces.

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
How can they claim the IP rating makes them more durable but then deny warranty claims for water damage!?

It is only IP68 for the first month or so... after that it will loose all the seals and protections. EverythingApplePro mentioned how he accidentally (this time) he dropped his phone and water and the camera stopped working.

latts

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
How can they claim the IP rating makes them more durable but then deny warranty claims for water damage!?

Problem is how could you or Apple prove that you stayed within the iPhone 11 ranges for water resistance, you could go diving to 100m with the phone and claim it broke after falling in the toilet!

Rock and a hard place unfortunately

csurfr

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have a couple Lightning cables that have been in use for over 4 years now. Still working perfectly.

They do need better strain relief, but as long as you don’t make a habit of yanking them, closing them in drawers, etc., they’ll last years.
Agreed. I've never had an issue with any of mine. Hell, I've given a lot of them away since they have been durable.

Good ads though.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I clearly remember all the hype and hoopla that followed the iPhone 6 Plus release. How great the camera was supposed to be, the wonderful optical image stabilization, the sheer beauty of the photos. That was when the "Shot With iPhone" media blitz started.

Well I can tell you (since I have an iPhone 6 Plus) that it's a pretty crappy camera. Not horrible, but far far from being "good".

So what did I learn?
Whatever Apple and reviewers say about iPhone cameras (any of them) is BS hype.
Don't believe what they're trying to sell/tell you. iPhone cameras aren't that good and the Pro will be no exception to their long lineage of mediocrity.

Sure, they're a technological marvel, but the end result, the picture, ain't so hot. They're all point & shoot cameras & always will be. Nothing wrong with that, just don't expect spectacular results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.