Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today released a new iPhone 6s advertisement focusing on the 3D Touch feature of the device. In the 30 second spot, several 3D Touch gestures are shown off in apps like Safari and Messages, while a voiceover explains how Peek and Pop work in an approachable, humorous way.

The video covers using Peek gestures to check flight tracking from a flight number, preview a post in Instagram, check a map for a restaurant in the Messages app, preview a link in the Mail app, preview songs in the Music app, and more. Actor Jamie Foxx appears in the ad using 3D Touch to access his newest album, "Hollywood: A Story of a Dozen Roses."

This is iPhone 6s. Not much has changed, except it feels different. Now you press lightly to peek and deeper to pop. It changes how easily you can peek a flight, check a post, search for dinner - ooh, you guys are going to love that place. You can find a getaway easier - Yeah, go there. And find music easier - wait, are you listening to your own song? So pretty much everything you do feels different and that's what's changed.
The video ends with the tagline Apple's been using for the iPhone 6s: "The only thing that's changed is everything."

Aside from videos that debuted on the day the iPhone 6s was released, the new 3D Touch video is the first iPhone 6s ad spot that Apple has introduced so far. In addition to being uploaded to YouTube, the video has also been added to Apple's website alongside the two other iPhone 6s videos that are available.

Article Link: Apple Shares New iPhone 6s Ad Focused on 3D Touch

Reactions: appledefenceforce

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Seems like an ad any start up tech company would put out, except having the big bucks to get an Oscar winning actor to do a quick part

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Gotta say, not such a big fan of these ads and the new slogan (I liked the iPhone 6 ones better).

Clearly the design didn't change, so "The only thing that's changed is everything but the design" should have been the slogan :p

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Any ad without someone trapped in a vague and gradating environment gets my approval.

Last edited:

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
love the ad, love my iPhone 6s but not 3D touch...
it feels like it should be a key feature, however I always find myself tapping on anything instead of using 3D touch. it's faster. (and yes you can still see flight informations, places on map, etc..)

trifid

macrumors 68020
May 10, 2011
love the ad, love my iPhone 6s but not 3D touch...
it feels like it should be a key feature, however I always find myself tapping on anything instead of using 3D touch. it's faster. (and yes you can still see flight informations, places on map, etc..)

Same here, one big problem with 3D touch is that most of the time it just doesn't register, so if the fail rate is significant, I'd rather just tap which is far more predictable that it'll open. The other problem with 3D touch for peeking at emails/websites, is that your finger is in the middle of the screen, so 'peeking' is annoying because of the obstruction of your finger.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Umm, so I have the phone. So this is embarrassing. But what is the "peek"? I get the pop when I push harder on the phone. But I don't see how one peeks.
Peek as in taking a peek into the link or app before you pop in.

Reactions: marvz

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Same here, one big problem with 3D touch is that most of the time it just doesn't register, so if the fail rate is significant, I'd rather just tap which is far more predictable that it'll open. The other problem with 3D touch for peeking at emails/websites, is that your finger is in the middle of the screen, so 'peeking' is annoying because of the obstruction of your finger.
Yeah I get you with the finger obstructing the content thing! I don't have a 6s of my own but from the little amount of time I have used one and tried out 3D Touch, that was getting annoying.

Also, the swipe up for more actions was very annoying when the thing I was peeking into just so happened to be at the top of the screen. Left no room to slide up and reveal the actions.

I feel like apple needs to revise some things here. Maybe allow us to let go after initiating a peek, do a regular tap to dismiss afterword, press hard to pop, and swipe up for the actions. We shouldn't have to keep our finger on the screen with added pressure so we cover everything up.

Reactions: Mactendo and trifid

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA
Does anyone have problems with the keyboard mouse engaging? Sometimes it doesn't want to engage. It's probably only 10% of the time (if that), but just curious.

Zelmung

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Vancouver
Gotta say, not such a big fan of these ads and the new slogan (I liked the iPhone 6 ones better).

Clearly the design didn't change, so "The only thing that's changed is everything but the design" should have been the slogan :p

You mean the iPhone 6 catchline “bigger than bigger?“ LOL

Yoda Mann

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2012

Apple today released a new iPhone 6s advertisement focusing on the 3D Touch feature of the device. In the 30 second spot, several 3D Touch gestures are shown off in apps like Safari and Messages, while a voiceover explains how Peek and Pop work in an approachable, humorous way.

The video covers using Peek gestures to check flight tracking from a flight number, preview a post in Instagram, check a map for a restaurant in the Messages app, preview a link in the Mail app, preview songs in the Music app, and more. Actor Jamie Foxx appears in the ad using 3D Touch to access his newest album, "Hollywood: A Story of a Dozen Roses."

The video ends with the tagline Apple's been using for the iPhone 6s: "The only thing that's changed is everything."

Aside from videos that debuted on the day the iPhone 6s was released, the new 3D Touch video is the first iPhone 6s ad spot that Apple has introduced so far. In addition to being uploaded to YouTube, the video has also been added to Apple's website alongside the two other iPhone 6s videos that are available.

Article Link: Apple Shares New iPhone 6s Ad Focused on 3D Touch

Yeah, this is pretty good. Full disclosure: upgraded my iPhone 4 to the 6S. real happy with the move. It's damn expensive, however... that needs to be addressed. Still and back to the ad, nice job.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I'll be honest and I know I'll piss people off here by saying this but I've found 3D touch to be pretty 'meh'. I was really excited for the feature but you just have to press way too hard. I've got it set to the most sensitive level and I have to grip the phone harder with my other fingers and push much harder than I've ever tapped on the screen before to activate 3D touch. It means I just don't use it, it's too awkward.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.