Apple Shares New Memoji Ads Featuring Ariana Grande, Khalid, and Florida Georgia Line

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. WinstonRumfoord macrumors 6502

I hate contemporary country music. Loathe. But that Ariana Grande song, AWFUL. I have never heard it before now and am glad I had not. What a lovely analogy for our current culture. Singing about herself and expensive stuff. Lovely.

2. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I don't like the song either, but this ain't new and let's not pretend Madonna didn't have a chart-topping hit with Material Girl. '80s excess was more than comparable to today.

This is all 30 year cyclical. You had the Roaring '20s with absurd displays of wealth, the '50s were all about "Keeping up with the Joneses", the '80s were all about conspicuous consumption, and in the '10s it's all for the 'gram.

3. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I agree with pretty much everything you said up until the Memoji part. The only feeling they sell to me is nausea, cringing and embarrassment.

I think I made the analogy before, but I'll do it again: Comparing the old iPod campaign with those Memoji ads is like comparing Warhol to the Teletubbies.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:09 AM ---
    When for years the only new iOS “feature” on a phone that costs as much as an iMac is an infantile tasteless gimmick for an app nobody uses outside of the US, Timmy shouldn't blame the “market” for their poor international sales.

I wish they'd put those devs/designers back to delivering some actual iOS work instead of this hot cr@p.

4. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Kids can relate to Teletubbies. Can kids relate to Warhol? Apple should have a little fun with its technology and Memojis are it.

But your thought is apple can either work on memojis or other “useful” iOS development. But not both?

5. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Can kids afford to own iPhone X-R-S's even?! Good grief. And even if they can, the main user base is adults.

My thought is that Apple seemingly has a limited pool of UX/UI designers when Ani-Me-mojis are state of the art and the iOS interface itself is a hot mess between iOS 7 and added elements that look like they were plucked out of Symbian.

6. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

“Kids” can’t afford most things. That doesn’t mean parents dont buy things for their kids.

Considering the iOS interface is consistent since the iPhone 4 at least, and you believe iOS interface is a hot mess, there definitely have been a shortage of UX/UI designers for 9 years.

7. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

You gotta be a real tool of a parent to give an iPhone X to a kid. Anyway, I guess I didn't grow up in Silicon Valley and it shows..

I said iOS 7 because that's when Ive steamrolled Jobs/Forstall's pixel perfect skeuomorphism into complete all-over-the-place flatness. Since then they've mostly experimented with font weights, split and regrouped the control centre, made icons weirder, put rectangles around everything (iOS 10) etc. until we ended up with massively inefficient default states in 2018 (see: jumbo fonts like all of us are visually impaired and maybe 3-4 cards available on screen because that's all you can fit) plus a bunch of talking cartoon heads.

Well, for 9 years of UI evolution that's ..kinda it really.

8. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

These ads aired multiple times during the Grammy awards, so as it was suspected, there was a reason to the "madness".

It all comes down to marketing & Apple found a way to promote both their music service & Memojis while highlighting artist that were prominently featured on the Grammys.

9. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

I've seen school age kids with phones with notches. Of course those phones could be a Huawei.

I happen to like the layout of the app store app. Not everything has to be crammed into a teeny-tiny space with 7.5 point fonts. Windows 10 for it's metro apps hasn't really changed much from Windows XP and that's what 20 years?