Apple Shares New Memoji Ads Featuring Ariana Grande, Khalid, and Florida Georgia Line

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. rp2011 macrumors 65816

rp2011

WHo are you tying to ********?

Mac OS is past it’s prime. Does Apple lavish the attention it once did or like most feel, has Apple abandoned it/ Back to The AMC anyone?

Windows has gone through MAJOR iterations and flops, Windows 10 being the latest mess.

So stop trolling and try and learning something instead.

2. Dj64Mk7 macrumors 65816

It's fitting that these videos were released on the same day as Ariana's new album, thank u, next, from which "7 rings" was a single. I love it.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    I can't tell if you're for real or just trolling.

3. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Windows 10 is a direct successor of Windows NT 3.1, released in 1993. Major portions of it have been rewritten and rebuilt over the years to handle new technology, but it's still the "same" OS. 3D accelerators, multi-core processors, x64, USB, SSDs, and WiFi weren't even a thing, but they're all integrated now.

Just as macOS and iOS are still the "same" OS. Just as major portions of them have been rewritten and rebuilt over the years to handle new technology.

I ain't trolling, I'm trying to inject some sanity into this thread, where negative emotions over an emoji commercial for The Grammys have gone absolutely overboard.

4. bollman macrumors 6502

For some reason, memojis make me think of this extremely cringeworthy ad:

Although, I really think the tech was more impressive than memojis...

5. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Ah, yes. Lets phase out those iPhone 7's. I am sure that'll make the customer base happy.

I ask again, What is it you want these phones to do with all this untapped potential?

6. Naraxus macrumors 6502a

Naraxus

Basic math seems hard for you. Apple's money is not infinite despite what some believe. When you take money and put it into one area that means less money for other things. You put money into crap like emojis that = less money to improve your buggy software and mediocre hardware.

7. Dethklok macrumors member

I almost miss when they used U2 for everything.

Almost.

8. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

It does take away from the mental model that Apple creates high end resources and hardware. And eventually perception drives demand and sales. So, even though the previous statement was a mental leap, I wouldn't see it as completely implausible.

I'm also missing any kind of marketing/promo commemoration for the 35 year anniversary of the Macintosh, while their ad team was clearly busy vomiting memoji clips.

9. JohnnieBBadde macrumors member

Finally, I've remembered what this Memoji stuff is reminding me of:

10. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

Well you see, it's not so basic. Apple (I assume) has a budget for marketing. Those are funds put aside specifically for marketing. They will not be used by the software and/or hardware teams. Are you saying Apple should just eliminate all marketing? It sounds like that is what you are proposing. Afterall, Apple's resources are not infinite so they shouldn't waste a dime. They should also stop donating any money, afterall that is money that can be spent to improve software and hardware.

11. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Pardon me cmd+C cmd+V myself, but I'm personally missing any kind of marketing/promo commemoration for the 35 year anniversary of the Macintosh, while their ad team was clearly busy vomiting memoji clips.

Seems like a major marketing blunder to me, if they were still to give a rat's rear end about the Mac. Speaks volumes about their priorities

PS. Memoji clips and not-so-shot-on-iPhone featurettes

12. bbednarz macrumors 6502a

bbednarz

It is fair to ask where a commercial for the Mac anniversary is. Kind of surprised they didn't have something small even.

That isn't the point the poster I responded to made though. He is saying the dollars spent on a commercial should've been used in the development of software and hardware. So naturally a second commercial being made would take even more funds away from that.

13. mikethemartian macrumors regular

The post from windows12 you quoted refers only to money. Not graphic designers designing hardware. Unlike people, money is fungible and can be easily redistributed to other efforts.

14. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

My two cents on that is that these ads help shape the perception Apple is the iPhone-Memoji-Watchband company while putting their (former) hardware prowess into obscurity. Where would the dollars be spent on, eventually, if this is the case?

15. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

Same tactic as political figures in the US... bait them with something gooey while secretly giving them nothing.

Animoji - literally the crappiest add-on from Apple since Photo Booth distort filters. But this time it's Cook's Lebron James rather than something children discover randomly on the Mac.

Also a blaring sign that you have a group of dork ass people without taste at the helm of the company. Time to flip the ship and see what sticks when it rolls over.

16. mikethemartian macrumors regular

I’m not generally into country music, but country music includes Johnny Cash and he was AWESOME.

17. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Steve Jobs hated dwelling on the past. No official commemoration on the 20th or 25th anniversaries under him either. IIRC, he even insisted on there not being a museum of old products on Apple's property.

Yes, I'm sorry. Johnny Cash was excellent.

18. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

There's a ton of things Steve Jobs hated that Apple is doing right now en masse, let's not even go there.

19. lunarworks macrumors 65816

"Steve Jobs would never do this thing."
    "Well, Steve Jobs would never do this thing you want either."
    "Hold on let's not go there."

20. CrystalQuest76 Suspended

I use the computers for both fun and serious purposes. I assume you wrote the last sentence as sarcasm. I have often used the iOS tools for fun and then I figure out how to apply them to serious endeavors that I do as an eLearning developer. I use LumaFusion to edit procedural videos.

21. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

Screw innovation, right little Timmy Kook? Emojis are what the computer users of today want. Not fast processors, thermal management or ease of upgrades. EMOJIS! That's the future.

22. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

Yes it was tongue in cheek. With so many believing Apple can’t multitask (probably because some believe Apple only has 10 employees and either they can do emojis or bug fixes or emojis and iMac development)
    --- Post Merged, Feb 8, 2019 ---
    Gotta go where the money is. Right?

23. otternonsense, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019

otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

It’s not about deflecting, it’s about consistency. If they were running the company up to Jobs’s standards then fawning about anniversaries would indeed be irrelevant. Maybe we’d even have gotten a new Mac successor instead of vacuous marketing. As it is, they just don’t care enough about the Mac to produce anything more than a forgettable tweet from Cook’s Pollyanna-account.

24. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I know what I'm going to say will be unpopular and treated as heresy, but I'd bet that if Steve Jobs were still alive and in charge of Apple, the Mac would be ever further back on the stove than it is now. The iPad would be a whole lot further ahead, though.

25. abrantes09 macrumors newbie

abrantes09

This is actually a good method because it features the mobility of the iPod and how it can function in a fun and fashionable way. Memoji commercials are just fun to watch, but I can never see it persuading someone to put down $999 for a phone, no matter how great it is.