Apple Shares New Memoji Ads Featuring Ariana Grande, Khalid, and Florida Georgia Line

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 8, 2019.

1. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

I'll just drop one thing before we turn it into a WWSJD carousel:

7 SKUs on the iPhone lineup
    5 SKUs on the iPad lineup, with mutually incompatible pencils
    7+ SKUs on the Mac lineup

All of the above without counting all storage/chipset configurations, and most are wildly outdated. That's exactly the kind of clutter SJ killed as soon as he returned to Apple. He would have focused on delivering a trim collection of superb products and maybe you're right, the iPad could have taken a much more prominent spot than the Mac. But not the iPad we have today.

2. lunarworks macrumors 65816

Oh, I agree. The laptop line alone is a particular mess, with terribly confusing and overlapping branding. Also, there are some quality products there, but the pricing model is absurd. Adding $1,000 for a 1 TB SSD option is craziness.

3. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

4. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

The ads don't bother me. While the article highlights the memoji aspect, it's just as much of an add for Apple Music (the end of each video includes the text "Watch on Apple Music" & the Apple Music logo.)

This falls is line with the memoji billboards for the Grammy Awards. They seem to be pushing the Apple Music service & incorporating their memojis (which is probably cheaper than licensing the actual music videos for promo purposes).

Before & after the Grammy awards....they are just pushing their music service (much like iTunes will highlight Oscar films)

These (long) ads on their YouTube channel & seems to be geared for those who are fans of any of the above mentioned artist (who all have brand new releases or Grammy noms).....

It's not something that I would personally watch over & over again, but I'm sure there are those that enjoy them.

This is like any other marketing. Everyone is going to have an opinion & everything isn't going to appeal to everyone.....and that's fine.

5. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

.....except you can't make those facial expressions.

6. tod macrumors regular

It makes me sad that Apple would associate their brand with **** like this. The music sucks. Memoji suck. All three ads look infantile. An Apple product should help me turn my brain on, not off.

7. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Assuming you’re being serious, allow me to point to the exclusivity of Memoji as an iMessage feature. People like to join “cool clubs”. You can’t get iMessage on any other phone.

So yes, it will solidify iPhone as the “cool thing” with the younger crowd. They influence their parents’ spending decisions more than you might think.

8. idktbh macrumors newbie

idktbh

Tags: Apple ads, Apple Music, Memoji, WtfApple

9. rican macrumors 6502

rican

I personally thought the Ariana Grande one was modern and fun. This is Apple Marketing FYI just trying to be fun and modern.

I thought it was a fun touch, but apple needs to focus on reliability instead of a Memoji video (although fun) get to where apple used to be and beyond first.

10. MoreRumors? macrumors 6502

MoreRumors?

I agree with you. Apple needs to focus, from updating some older proucts thru correcting some issues.

11. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

Ariana ain't doing nothing for me but if I see RV Irene in an Apple CF I'll consider purchasing a subscription. The Kpop selection seems to be better than Spotify's anyways, the cameo makes sense.

12. Ladybug macrumors 68000

Ladybug

Haha, that might actually be an improvement. :D

13. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Yes, they’ve become so predictable and robotic. I understand Steve is gone, but Cook is just so boring and the new people that show up always mess up.

14. ajazz102 macrumors newbie

ajazz102

Whats the point really?

15. rew f fwd macrumors newbie

rew f fwd

Instead of taking care of this now lame iOS, they prefer to tinker with this childish memojis. apple is just embarrassing

16. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Yea, isn't it disappointing how cheesy and mundane it ends up being. I had been dreaming of the day everyone had a computer in their pocket since I was 5, even more so when I picked up my first iPod. Instead it's 2019 and we got a small dopamine hit box to push ads so tacky they make Teletubbies look like Citizen Kane.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2019 ---
    Like a drunk dad cracking jokes at a college party.

17. otternonsense macrumors 6502a

otternonsense

Seriously? That’s like comparing Warhol to the Teletubbies just because they both have color.

18. Arran macrumors 601

Arran

Agreed. The singing chicken was clever and witty.

His only (minor) reason for being summoned into existence was the lyric "1-2-3"! And then he was like "why am I here?" before giving it all he had! Hilarious.

The human memojis OTOH are a bit creepy. Like factory clones with superficial "differences" that don't really integrate to the whole. Graphically, they're in an awkward "in-between place". Not stylized enough to be comic characters, not subtle enough to pass as 'human'

That, and they all look the same to me. They really do. Does anyone else feel that?

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Yeah. My own Animoji could be anyone. It’s like a melting Barbie doll version of me.

20. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

My own memoji has a striking resemblance to me. That's not good. o_O

21. blucable macrumors regular

blucable

Ariana Grande for real??... is this the best we can get from apple?

22. Partridge macrumors 6502

I'm just annoyed that she says "look at my neck".

When she doesn't have one.

23. ipedro, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019

ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Gotta agree. Apple needs to take a step back and simplify their lineup. There really is *too much choice* and that makes it difficult and confusing for people who don’t know what they want, to actually make a purchase.

Apple needs to flush out old products and simplify each of the iPhone, iPad, Mac and MacBook lineups.

iPhone (the current Xr)
    iPhone X (if that’s what they’re calling the premium phones) in 2 screen sizes

iPad
    iPad Pro (in 2 screen sizes)

Macbook (the current Air, discontinue the MacBook)
    MacBook Pro (in 2 screen sizes)

iMac
    iMac Pro

Mac (the current Mac Mini)
    Mac Pro (the upcoming Pro tower)

Apple Watch (2 sizes)
    Apple Watch stainless steel (2 sizes)

AppleTV (just one SKU, keep the 4K, discontinue the outdated ATV)
    HomePod (ship it with an HDMI dongle to function as an AppleTV)

AirPods
    AirPods Max (upcoming Apple headphones)

That’s it. AppleWatch + AirPods replaces the iPod for music. Entry iPad replaces the iPod Touch for kids. Kill the iPod once and for all. Second, selling years old iPhones creates confusion. Sell new devices only. Maybe liquidate old stock in lower price markets like India. The MacBook lineup is a massive mess with the Pro and the Pro without touchbar, and then MacBook and the MacBook Air serving the same customer.

Bringing it back to the topic of the thread, these Memoji ads are the kind of thing Steve would’ve loved. See the iPod campaign. They don’t sell a product directly, they sell a feeling. That ultimately brings people onside and they do end up buying an iPhone instead of a competitor’s product because they want to be a part of the culture.

24. babaroga73 macrumors regular

Now, that's a killer feature that can justify the prices.