Apple Shares New 'Memory' iPhone X Ad Promoting Face ID

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 8, 2018.

1. jimmy_uk, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2018

jimmy_uk macrumors 6502a

jimmy_uk

But if you'd watched to the end it's not actually a quiz show, just a guy in a cafe setting, trying to log into his banking app (the memory quiz is in his head). It's just a illustration of a problem and Apple showing off that they have/are the answer, jeez!

[​IMG]

2. TimmeyCook Suspended

TimmeyCook

Must be as good as the OnePlus face unlock...

https://twitter.com/rikvduijn/status/1001472715566538752

Imagine if this happened with an Apple device that costs half of that kind of money!

3. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

Biometrics as a password is not security; it's convenience. They can be cloned / tricked. Once your biometric data is out there you cannot change it.

Apple selling Face ID with its "1 in a million" "security" is less security than a fixed 4-character password. 62^4 is 1 in 14 million possibilities at guessing (62 comes from 26 lower letters, 26 upper letters, and 10 numbers). You're 14 times more secure than FaceID if you use a 4 character password with mixed case letters and numbers.

Biometrics are usernames, not passwords.

4. Danoc, Jul 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  5. ConfusedChris macrumors regular

ConfusedChris

An ad you certainly wouldn’t want to wade through more than once.

6. luvbug macrumors regular

luvbug

It's an ad, not testimony in a murder trial. Chill, maybe??

7. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Touch ID started working really well with the 6s.

I’m waiting.

8. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

At risk of breaking the lens. I shall!

9. drumcat macrumors 6502a

drumcat

How many people changed their password to y0urf@ce today? :)

10. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

Dunno Jimmy. However I did read this :
    https://www.xda-developers.com/huawei-mate-10-face-unlock-china/

And it’s lightning fast. But I will try the photo challenge later and see if it can be beaten.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 8, 2018 ---
    It could happen.

Especially if you have a good imagination!

11. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

and Chase logs him out with a message "Please re-enter your password to re-enable Face ID" FOR SOME UNGODLY REASON

12. Crowbot, Jul 8, 2018

Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

Uh, Face ID uses infrared so low light isn't an issue. It works in the dark too.

OTOH, The ad was fairly overdramatic.

I don't think you're looking at the big picture. Apple created Touch ID because 40% of their users weren't using any passcode. So they came up with something that gave increased security with little extra user activity. You only get 10 tries at the password so complexity is less of an issue. Face ID cuts out after 5 unsuccessful attempts. That's enough to keep out the riff raff. And Grey Key won't work after iOS 12.

But you're right that a complex alpha-num password and no Touch/Face ID is best.

13. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

FaceId is so bad...far less flexible than TouchId.

It's so bad that I don't even want it despite the fact that it was given out as a free company phone.

14. Kaibelf macrumors 68020

Kaibelf

Your comment makes no sense as Face ID uses infrared and even in pitch black rooms would still not “struggle to recognize his face” or anyone else’s.
    Yet tens of millions of satisfied users seem to like it and society hasn’t fallen, and no one has produced any reports of any major issues or breaches with it that make it “so bad.” Oh well then, use a different phone or better yet just move to Android and be done with it as it seems you’ll really never be satisfied anyway.
    Steve Jobs is dead. Steve Jobs has been dead for a long time. Deal with it.

15. dojoman macrumors 65816

FaceID even works in pitch black. Sounds like you’ve never used it.

16. chromite macrumors regular

Ah, you must know that every time someone invokes Steve’s name in the defense of Apple, Planned Parenthood receives a donation. Thank you for helping make the world a better place.

17. MDF314159265 macrumors 6502

MDF314159265

Doesn’t mean the ads need to suck.

18. Sciomar macrumors regular

Sciomar

The vermin creep out in force to crap all over anything Apple related, some attempt to make themselves feel better with their purchase of a droid no doubt.

I was very skeptical about FaceID’s worth as I was an early adopter with the TouchID and had some issues with it unlocking. FaceID has proven itself very reliable, in low light and even when I’m wearing sunglasses. The next implementations are going to be even better and more secure I’m sure, as cameras and facial mapping software improves.

19. Greenmeenie macrumors 65816

Greenmeenie

Apple ads are usually pretty great & very creative. But every once in awhile they are lame. This is one of the lame ones. Still, it’s infinitely better than their absolutely worst ad ever...the singing Frankenstein holiday one. Ugh. That one still makes me cringe.

20. Juiceboy macrumors regular

face idea works even when you've just had a workout or nervous. Touch ID is terribly inconvenient when you are even a bit sweaty, on your bicycle, Wearing gloves etc.

21. KPandian1 macrumors 65816

So, soon it will be all FaceId in the Apple zone! I have to lift the phone to my face, or look at it in some obvious way that takes away the stealth of surreptitiously waking my phone by touching a button. Say, at a boring lecture or conference.

22. coltman75 macrumors regular

Apple did not get rid of Chiat\Day, or any of the Chiat spinoff firms that are working for them. Apple’s in-house agency makes very few ads. Mostly just the ads presented at keynotes that have to be created before the products are launched.

Chiat\Day made the Spike Jonzie HomePod ad, their airpods Christmas ad, and others. Apple normally “competes” their internal team against Chiat\Day (their internal team being made up of mostly of TBWA/Chiat employees that they poached) but they still use Chiat.

23. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

Apple ads seem to be just as strong today.

I think had an ad like 1984 been released under Cook, I have no doubt you'd be flipping a table at how irrelevant and ridiculous it is. Can't please em all

24. EdT macrumors 68000

EdT

A quick internet search says that no Android based Face ID is approved as a secure login for any bank, credit union or other high security app. Having a Face ID that will unlock a phone actually is 4 or more years old, but you won't find a bank or pharmacy app that will let you login using an Android Face ID. Android will offer one, probably within a year, but right now the number of secure apps that use Android Face ID is zero.

Here's an article about Android FaceID from March of this year: https://bgr.com/2018/03/25/face-id-on-android-iphone-x-rivals/

25. Relentless Power, Jul 8, 2018

Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I liked it and I think Apple executed there goal in this ad. By the way, Were you going elaborate why you’re insinuating touch ID should even be relevant to this article when it’s about Face ID?