Apple Shares New 'Memory' iPhone X Ad Promoting Face ID

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
This must be one of the worst ads I have seen from Apple. Very corporate. Corporate like the IBM Apple tried to break back in 1984.

That being said... passwords work. They are platform independent, doesn't need cameras, and even if they decided to "share" your data its just text. Imagine if a face-database was leaked into the wild in the hands of the black market criminals. "Your face ID have been compromised, we recommend you change your face immediately" .

I know Apple says they store it on the device, but we know where this tech is going. Everything is going into the cloud and someone will eventually break the encryption via flaw or a bug.

Reactions: miniyou64

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
I don't miss the bezels, but I do miss the accuracy and speed of TouchID. Hopefully 2nd gen FaceID will be a big improvement just like TouchID became with subsequent generations.

And yeah yeah, your FaceID works flawlessly in all situations. In my real world, it doesn't.
Works darn better than TouchID, I can tell you that. In my real world.

Accuracy? TouchID? Lol. If I get even slightly sweaty or my skin get even a little dry - or a butterfly flaps its wings somewhere - it fails to register.

Btw, came here to see all the cynical negativity towards a simple and funny ad, and oh boy, MR forums, you did not disappoint.

And to those criticizing the logic behind the game show, it is obviously a metaphor for him trying to remember a password in the coffee shop, and then realizing Face ID will do the job for him. It’s a comical little ad, lighten up.

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Yah, you see that's where you (and many others) misunderstood the Mac vs. PC ads. The "Mac" actor never made fun of the "Windows" actor. The Windows actor essentially did that to himself. Watch them again and you'll see this angle. To "make fun of" someone is an intentional act, and that was never the premise of the ads.
[doublepost=1531117846][/doublepost]

They say Mac fanatics drink the koolaid, but you just took a HUGE gulp of Huawei's drink. The feature may have worked, but there's very little substance proving how secure it is, as others have said. You were impressed by a security feature without any knowledge of it. Blind trust.
‘Loving your blindly judgmental ‘advice’ to those you consider are being blindly judgemental.

However I’ll trust the other free extra feature I also discovered (AR Lens) which was also quietly added isn’t a security risk either and just hope against hope Huawei R&D (one of the biggest smartphone manufacturers in the world) might’ve accounted for such.

Hang on. Wait a minute. There’s someone at the door with a photograph of me asking to use my phone. No you certainly cannot, sir. Please, leave me regretting not spending £750 extra to ensure this event would never happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Lill-Q

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2016
TouchId can do the same thing. :D Just sayin'
Oh really? I didn't know Touch ID could also scan your face! Try using Touch ID with gloves on. Face ID is just effortless and automatic, you are already looking at your device, done, no need to move your finger to position it for a scan.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Naturally I store all my money in my antique penny-farthing, but I believe the question in the video is about “an online banking password”... ;) (you might want to edit the article).
One problem with your comment to "you": MR editorial staff do not necessarily read comments. :( The "corrections" item in the Forum Rules notes the proper way to point out an error to the editorial staff.

Reactions: Porco

Lill-Q

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2016
Unless you were in a coma for the past year, you'd know that FaceID actually works better in low light than in sunlight.
Yes, this shows a lack of understanding of how the technology works, it relies on a flood illuminator and dot projector which aren't dependent on visual light. You can unlock you phone with Face ID in a pitch dark room, which is why it's so superior to competitors face unlock that relies on light, although Samsung had a smart solution where they flashed the screen to illuminate the users face in dark environments - still not as clean a solution as Apple's.

Last edited:

Abazigal

macrumors G4
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
People who fixate on one specific aspect of Touch ID while ignoring everything else that Face ID does do better are not seeing the whole picture, IMO.

Touch ID may be good at what it does, but that’s the only thing it can do. Face ID is capable of so much more, since it is basically a miniaturised Kinect crammed into your phone.

Either way, I see Face ID being the future of Apple products. I envision Apple eventually fitting Face ID into the Apple Watch. Likewise, because it can track gestures, I see it being the main means of controlling the rumoured pair of Apple glasses.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Doesn’t mean the ads need to suck.
Newsflash... Not everything Steve did was perfect.

Seriously what is wrong with some of you? It’s astounding how many people believe everything went swimmingly when Steve was alive and that Tim is ruining Apple.

There were problems back then and there will still be problems. Last I checked Apple is still insanely popular/profitable, has awesome products and is branching out.

Relax.
[doublepost=1531135018][/doublepost]
People who fixate on one specific aspect of Touch ID while ignoring everything else that Face ID does do better are not seeing the whole picture, IMO.

Touch ID may be good at what it does, but that’s the only thing it can do. Face ID is capable of so much more, since it is basically a miniaturised Kinect crammed into your phone.

Either way, I see Face ID being the future of Apple products. I envision Apple eventually fitting Face ID into the Apple Watch. Likewise, because it can track gestures, I see it being the main means of controlling the rumoured pair of Apple glasses.
People just want to hate Apple/Tim so bad. It’s pretty sad. “I’ll never get a bigger phone! Ugh!”

“I’ll never use Face ID! Why can’t I place my finger?!”

People have all of this pent up frustration/angst with Apple and it’s so weird. Everyone loves knocking something WITHOUT trying it.

Please.

macsrcool1234

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010

Seriously what is wrong with some of you? It’s astounding how many people believe everything went swimmingly when Steve was alive and that Tim is ruining Apple.

There were problems back then and there will still be problems. Last I checked Apple is still insanely popular/profitable, has awesome products and is branching out.

Relax.

People just want to hate Apple/Tim so bad. It’s pretty sad. “I’ll never get a bigger phone! Ugh!”

People have all of this pent up frustration/angst with Apple and it’s so weird. Everyone loves knocking something WITHOUT trying it.

Please.
It's almost as if people have different opinions. Who would have thought?

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco

Relax.

Please.
Unfortunately, trashing a company or its CEO, is the only way some people can feel like they have a bit of power, that's othwose lacking in their lives. And that helps them to feel better about themselves.
[doublepost=1531137502][/doublepost]
See above.

Reactions: newyorksole

macsrcool1234

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Nope. I was skeptical when I bought my X in December, thinking I'd probably return it. No way after 3-4 days of use. It's been far more reliable and flexible over TouchID.

No way I'd ever go back. The same is no doubt true with Apple.
The failure rate is so high that it directly led to them introducing alternative faces in iOS12.
[doublepost=1531137619][/doublepost]
Unfortunately, trashing a company or its CEO, is the only way some people can feel like they have a bit of power, that's othwose lacking in their lives. And that helps them to feel better about themselves.
[doublepost=1531137502][/doublepost]

See above.
LOL trashing CEO's is the same as criticizing a product? The difference between me and you is I don't need to brown nose a product when I see a problem with it.

Whew. Try again.

macsrcool1234

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
the failure rate is not high. And that's not the reason for adding multiple faces. Think about it.
Apple is absolutely not introducing profiles. It goes against their entire business model.

At WWDC, I asked one of the developers about it. He mentioned it was to 'improve reliability.' It doesn't take a genius to read in between the lines that reliability is poor enough that they felt the need to do this.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
The failure rate is so high that it directly led to them introducing alternative faces in iOS12.
[doublepost=1531137619][/doublepost]

LOL trashing CEO's is the same as criticizing a product? The difference between me and you is I don't need to brown nose a product when I see a problem with it.

Whew. Try again.
There is no problem with FaceID. It is more reliable and flexible. And that's why Apple is moving towards it. I'd never go back to TouchID.

How long have you owned an iPhone X?

macsrcool1234

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
There is no problem with FaceID. It is more reliable and flexible. And that's why Apple is moving towards it. I'd never go back to TouchID.

How long have you had an iPhone X?
Since launch day. It is far more unreliable than my previous phone, despite multiple calibrations and a phone swap. The angles that it works in and the distance requirements make it very unreliable. Not to mention that I go between having a beard and not.

None of these issues apply to TouchID. I'm sure it will improve on the next model but im shocked this wasn't tested more thoroughly on the first revision.

Radeon85

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2012
South Wales, UK
Having multiple face scans in iOS 12 is no different that multiple fingers scanned for Touch ID.

I've been using Face ID on my X since it came out and I would never go back to Touch ID. Face ID is far more convenient.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Since launch day. It is far more unreliable than my previous phone, despite multiple calibrations and a phone swap. The angles that it works in and the distance requirements make it very unreliable. Not to mention that I go between having a beard and not.

None of these issues apply to TouchID. I'm sure it will improve on the next model but im shocked this wasn't tested more thoroughly on the first revision.
TouchID works great for me - with or without beard.

And it's far more reliable, with TouchID failing 10-20% of the time (and that's with frequent re-trainings). Which would go to 100% failure with damp/wet hands. Or when wearing gloves.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Having an opinion is one thing. Being delusional is a whole other thing.

Apple being profitable and popular isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact. There being mistakes under Steve and under Tim is a fact.

Whether you think Apple is doing better now or in the past is an opinion, but can definitely be proven by facts.

But hey to each their own. If people want to nitpick and be apprehensive then be my guest.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

One thing that helped me was turning off “Require Attention.”

macsrcool1234

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
Nope. Still wrong. I've criticized the X frequently with respect to the display.
Whats wrong with the display? That's the one thing I love about it.

Having an opinion is one thing. Being delusional is a whole other thing.

Apple being profitable and popular isn’t an opinion, it’s a fact. There being mistakes under Steve and under Tim is a fact.

Whether you think Apple is doing better now or in the past is an opinion, but can definitely be proven by facts.

But hey to each their own. If people want to nitpick and be apprehensive then be my guest.
And?

TouchID works great for me - with or without beard.

And it's far more reliable, with TouchID failing 10-20% of the time (and that's with frequent re-trainings). Which would go to 100% failure with damp/wet hands. Or when wearing gloves.
Do you mean FaceID? I suppose it depends on length of beard, color, e.g. But that's probably more of an edge case. What about angles and distance? I find that I have to match both up perfectly and even going a little out of the way misses it.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
These ads are less memorable and less artistic than the ones made by the ad agency Chiat\Day when Steve Jobs was CEO.

Tim Cook is such a clueless lump of mediocrity, that he has gotten rid of some of the most creative aspects of Apple. Cook got rid of Chiat\Day, which made the legendary “1984” (1983) ad, the “Think Different” (1997) ads, and the “Get a Mac” (2006) ads. Cook replaced Chiat\Day with Apple’s in-house ad agency. Now, Apple’s ads are cluttered, lack clarity, and just forgettable.
There's no Chiat\Day now, it's TBWA\Chiat\Day and Apple is working with TBWA.
TBWA\Chiat\Day still makes Apple ads (well, technically their subsidiary, Media Arts Lab, which was created to handle Apple’s account during the Jobs era).
Shh. Don't spoil his theory that Apple is in trouble without Jobs by mentioning silly little things like facts!