Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a13supersonic

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2018
Many people prefer the S-cycle over the "new-cycle" due to refinement. It's almost always safer to go with the second generation of a product compared to the brand new one.
Exactly! Recall all the major issues and controversies were with 1st gen product (bendgate, antennagate come to mind). The "S" generations never had that.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
Amazing. Wow, thanks for sharing.
Sorry about your phone!! I guess I was lucky. I swam with the previous iPhone 7 for 1h in the Mediterranean sea and (forgot it in my pocket) and rinsed it afterwards and let it dry. Nothing happened as well...
I used to take underwater videos intentionally with my 7. Never had a single issue!

Reactions: Johnny London

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Geez I sure hope not. Verizon's 5G is launching in my city (Sacramento) by year's end.
That’s mostly to support fixed wireless for residential broadband internet. They’re using their own proprietary equipment they’re calling 5G, it’s not based on the approved spec. Verizon wants to offer over-the-top video services, basically wireless cable TV. Like Sling/DirecTV Now/Hulu Live/YouTube TV. Their plans for 5G are not particularly concerned about offering gigabit speeds to handsets.

Last edited:
Reactions: dcingie

Jeans01Ddk

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2016
View attachment 781776 Mmmm not tying to be a hater haha
[doublepost=1537187774][/doublepost]

Apple today shared a video focused on the iPhone XS, which is designed to offer up all of the details that you need to know about the new device in just 54 seconds.

The short video runs through all of the features that distinguish the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max from the previous-generation iPhone X.

The video covers notable features like the 5.8 and 6.5-inch screen sizes, A12 Bionic chip, faster Face ID, IP68 water resistance, and more, with a list below.

[*]Biggest screen on an iPhone ever
[*]Super durable all-glass design
[*]More water and dust resistant
[*]Now in Gold
[*]Face ID is even more advanced
[*]Dual cameras are smarter
[*]Depth control
[*]Highest quality video
[*]Smartest and most powerful chip in an iPhone
[*]Faster wireless charging
[*]Gigabit LTE
[*]Wider stereo sound

The video wraps up with the tagline "It's not just one amazing iPhone, it's two.

This is the second quick summary style video that Apple has done, and it follows a two minute video that was published following Apple's event, wrapping up everything that was announced in 108 seconds.

These quick videos offer up a useful way for Apple to share all of the new features in the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max in a short period of time, making them ideal for commercials and use on social media. We may see more of these videos in the future as Apple continues advertising the new 2018 iPhone and Apple Watch models.

Apple's iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max were announced earlier this week, and are now available for pre-order from Apple's online store. Both devices are set to be launched next week, on Friday, September 21.

Update: Apple has also shared a new "Shot on iPhone XS" video highlighting the video-capturing capabilities of the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max with a video experiment that uses sound, slo-mo, time-lapse, and 4k video to capture scenes of water, fire, metal and light.

Update 2: Apple on Saturday shared another iPhone XS and XS Max video highlighting the 5.8 and 6.5-inch displays of the two devices.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Minute-Long Video Highlighting iPhone XS Features [Updated]

And no Fast Charging from Apple... again, again and again...

Caseynd

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
ND, USA
I think the fact they could boil down the entire presentation to 108 seconds is telling of how little they actually did.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Well for all those complaining about what a poor upgrade the XS is over the X, there are now tests of the 4x4 MIMO “gigabit class” LTE modem, and the results are awesome. Download speeds have more than doubled. Uploads have increased by 50%.

Oh sure, some of you will continue to minimize and disparage all the improvements the XS has over the X in an effort to try to convince others (or yourself) that the XS isn’t “S worthy”, but you’re wrong. Complainers (and yes haters) with no actual experience with the device have more and more egg on their face.

Added to the very long list of other improvements, the XS just keeps getting better.

7AC42C06-90FB-4224-AEF1-A62E781B2543.png

Last edited:

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
Many people prefer the S-cycle over the "new-cycle" due to refinement. It's almost always safer to go with the second generation of a product compared to the brand new one.

I am one of those that prefers the S-cycle. Even my first iPhone was the the 3GS and that worked just fine until I got the 4S (skipped the whole antenna debate) and then it was a nice upgrade to get the 5S and then I very reluctantly eventually gave it up for the 6S+ which I've used happily for 3 years. Getting the iOS upgrades was enough to satisfy any desire for the new. I'm again reluctantly parting with my 6S+ for the XS. The 7, 8, or X was just not enough for me, and I'd still use the 6S+ for another year if it wasn't for some very recent hardware tics appearing. I'd put up with those if it wasn't for the shaky cam I'm recently experiencing with the camera that's occurring more and more consistently. Can't believe it's resale value is at best only $200.

Reactions: Tofupunch

jgdeschamps

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
Not worth $1100? Do you realize what these devices can do? Do you understand how much technology and engineering are packed into these small enclosures?

I mean, to each their own, but you should say the cost isn’t worth it to YOU. It’s definitely worth it to a lot of other people.

You can do soooo much on this device. It’s way more than a phone. You may want to pay $300 or whatever for it, but it’s worth way more than that.

Exactly, to each their own opinion. I've been using computers way more than many of you guys around here, so I understand quite a lot of what's inside an iPhone and what it does. I've owned several iPhones, including the original, by the way, and own an SE because I disliked a lot the 6s (which I owned) and all the following incarnations of the design to the point where I said "the 5s and SE are actually better." But hey, you can take great pictures with the XS and make calls with a phone the size of a brick! Wow, what a feat of technology for 2018! Don't get me started with the apps, cause they are nowhere near what you can do on a dedicated desktop or laptop computer. I tried to switch to iOS with an iPad, and tried very hard 'cause I know where all this is heading to. I'm eating right now my own words for trying to switch to iOS, but let me tell you, it's not worth it with the current technology and UIX.
In my opinion (there it is, so you are happy with my comments,) people like you only let Apple charge that much for a phone that runs apps and takes pretty pics due to market demand, not actual tech cost and value. When you get to the point where you pay the same amount of an upfront payment for a construction addition or modification to a house or downpayment to a car, than what you pay for a cell phone, that's when you realize that IT'S NOT WORTH IT EVEN WITH ALL THE TECH YOU ARE FASCINATED WITH INSIDE OF THAT THING.
Keep going at it and watch Apple increase the price to 3,000 or 4,000 dollars in the near future.
That's what I'm against, not the tech. The inflated value of these devices.
5,000 dollars iMacs... geez...
Rant over.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.