Apple Shares New 'Remembering Apollo 11' Video With Details on Upcoming Apple TV+ Show 'For All Mankind'

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 15, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, Apple this afternoon shared a new video featuring clips from its upcoming Apple TV+ show "For All Mankind" along with commentary from show creator Ronald D. Moore and others who have worked on the series.

"For All Mankind," which stars Joel Kinnaman, features an alternate history that explores what might have happened had the global space race never ended and had the USSR landed the first humans on the moon. In the series, the U.S. will race to get astronauts on Mars and Saturn.

In the new spot highlighting "For All Mankind," Moore says that the space program "captured the world's imagination" when it first happened. "There's something about putting people in spaceships and going places. It's an idea of this optimistic feature where we not only travel in space, but it's been a good thing for all of mankind," he said about the show.

"For All Mankind" was inspired by the Apollo 11 mission and the space race, according to executive producer Matt Wolpert.
    Along with the new video, Ronald D. Moore and other show creators, engineers, and advisors did a series of interviews with various publications. Speaking to Inverse, Moore said that Apollo 11 was the catalyst that got him interested in science fiction. He decided to work with Apple because of an existing relationship with Zack Van Amburg, a former Sony executive and now one of the co-presidents running Apple TV+.
    In a separate interview with Syfy, "For All Mankind" technical advisors Garrett Reisman and Gerry Griffin, both of whom worked for NASA, said that they aimed to make the show as accurate as possible, even when it was difficult.
    Additional interviews and show details are available from Collider, CollectSPACE, and IndieWire.

"For All Mankind" is one of the TV shows that Apple is working on for its upcoming Apple TV+ streaming service, set to launch this fall. Apple has dozens of shows in the works, and a recap of everything that Apple is working on is available in our Apple TV+ show guide.

Though the first season of the series has yet to debut, Moore says that a second season is already being discussed. The team is getting stories and scripts ready, but Apple hasn't yet officially picked it up for a second season. "We're already moving ahead with planning in case they do," Moore told Syfy.

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'Remembering Apollo 11' Video With Details on Upcoming Apple TV+ Show 'For All Mankind'

2. WAM2 macrumors 6502a

WAM2

They really need to get to releasing episodes already, it's gonna be a flop if they don't start getting people hooked.

3. majurg macrumors member

majurg

I thought the original sci-fi show aired 50 years ago?

4. WestonHarvey1 macrumors 68020

Oh I get it haha because it was all fake right

5. coolfactor macrumors 601

Nobody had teeth that white back then. It's just not realistic.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You’re not far off: the original series of Star Trek was around that time. However it first aired in 1966, 3 years before the moon landing. Close!

7. twocents macrumors regular

twocents

You mean the one that Kubrick directed and was released the same weekend that Ted Kennedy crashed that car? Good times

8. SecuritySteve macrumors 6502a

SecuritySteve

If there's one show that will get me to subscribe, this one is it. Aerospace and national pride? Check and check.

9. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

Honestly, easier to just fly to the moon than fake flying to the moon. Yeah, it’s all fake and that satellite system that works our global GPS and mapping systems just magically happened. All smoke and mirrors, tin foil hat man.

10. eatrains macrumors 6502

11. now i see it macrumors 68040

12. Glockworkorange, Jul 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2019

Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Inverse is click baity trash.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 15, 2019 ---
    You're arguing having satellites in space is proof man stepped on the moon 50 years ago?

Okay, sure, considering a satellite was put into space before the moon landing. In fact, there was a satellite launched into orbit a decade before the moon landing.

I mean, I don't believe it was faked, but I see no reason to be nasty to people who either have a good faith belief or are just trying to have some fun.

What's next--you going to ban the guy from YouTube or Twitter? Oh wait, there's already people doing that...

13. joekun macrumors regular

Seems kind of disrespectful to try and piggyback the marketing of a show whose premise is we failed to make it to the moon first on the anniversary of the successful moon landing.

Not saying the show couldn’t be interesting, just not digging the disrespect. I won’t be watching though, because I don’t need any more TV subscriptions.

14. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

In the 1967 episode Tomorrow is Yesterday

"The Enterprise crew intercepts a radio report that the first manned moon shot will take place on Wednesday. Apollo 11 was launched nearly two years after the filming on 16 July 1969, a Wednesday."
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708484/trivia?item=tr0747177

15. nexusrule macrumors 6502

Never watch The man in the high castle then, let alone read the original novel by Philip K. Dick, in that one you lost WWII....

16. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

Meanwhile this film is a true non-fiction work of art

17. coolfactor macrumors 601

Star Trek is truly an amazing show. The Next Generation was way ahead of its time, I believe! And Voyager followed in its footsteps. We're only now enjoying technology that Star Trek envisioned way back then. I can watch these series over and over again without getting bored.

18. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

“The NASA logo was another difficulty. In watching the trailer, fans may notice the logo is just a little off, like the Bizarro version of the real-life NASA symbol. That's because, as the trio explained, NASA has a policy to only lend support and use of emblems if the piece of media portrays the events of the space program exactly as they happened. Not really a possibility for an alt-history show.”

NASA was a consultant on the Martian (Ridley Scott movie) and they were able to use the real NASA logo in the film. They wanted the details of what a manned mission to Mars would look like to be as accurate as possible in the movie.

19. imageWIS macrumors 65816

I was going to try to post before 'fake moon landings' came up, but too late... Sigh...

20. Precursor macrumors 6502a

Precursor

21. TheMacDaddy1 macrumors regular

So this is a show that is going to be on the mythical Apple streaming service, the one they have been talking about for 3 years that does not have a launch date or any pricing?

Umm ok. Seriously video streaming wont be a thing when Apple finally gets around to actually releasing this stuff.

22. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

There's about 100 streaming services launching in the next year or so. Apple's timing here is horrible. They're entering a market that's stacked against everyone in it.

23. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

AppleTV+ is already 1 for 0 on the shows we've seen enough to make a beginning judgment on. I'm so up for watching this show. This would be enough to get me to subscribe.

24. JMO1 macrumors newbie

I think Apple is going to take it on the chin with Apple TV + or whatever it is. Usually they wait for an industry or product that is lagging and make it better, with content Netflix and Amazon prime have already solved this in a way I don’t believe Apple can improve. It’s another service that many won’t subscribe too. So unfortunately I feel Apple will sunset this service in 5-6 years when the math breaks. **just an opinion based on what we know now

25. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

I still don’t know how to feel about apple doing tv shows. Sounds like they didn’t know what to do with the money. There was no real reason to step into a business full of other services. Linear TV is declining (so less money from old tv companies buying expensive shows), so they really have to get that subscription service running where several other big players (sadly) start competing this and next year.