Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
I still don’t know how to feel about apple doing tv shows. Sounds like they didn’t know what to do with the money. There was no real reason to step into a business full of other services. Linear TV is declining (so less money from old tv companies buying expensive shows), so they really have to get that subscription service running where several other big players (sadly) start competing this and next year.

Let's see. What I sense is that Apple generally fails with services in the first place, than does/has to do some mighty reworking - other than their physical products which mostly convince more or less from the beginning.

theOmega

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2018
They were not kidding when talking about production value, this looks great, if they put this effort in all shows, they'll definitely have a good product, hope we can expect the same from Apple Arcade.

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago
So this is a show that is going to be on the mythical Apple streaming service, the one they have been talking about for 3 years that does not have a launch date or any pricing?

Umm ok. Seriously video streaming wont be a thing when Apple finally gets around to actually releasing this stuff.

Shows like this -- not to mention video streaming services -- are often in the works for a while before release. My guess is that Apple will release the service and initial shows this fall.

Precursor

Cancelled
Sep 29, 2015
Istanbul
I didnt say ‘space’. Was just referring to the moon. Lame attempt at setting up a straw man.

Newsflash: 99.99999999999% of space is void, rest is "rock", as you put it. It may not be "interesting" to you but many technologies you use today are available due to the technological jump due to space race. So what was our real argument again?

Reactions: edvj

Biu_miu

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2016
it’s all disbelieved because of politics, religion, or simply because it’s too complex. A very sad evolution.

Dayum, man, I love this stuff, it's so funny to see! I would say - Pls don't encourage the conspiracy theorists! But in this case- by trying to prove them wrong, they get more defensive and start to believe that stuff even more, so, yeah, encourage them, because it spews more comedy for rest of us :) Also don't forget- birds are surveillance drones, trees aren't real, gender was invented by bathroom companies to sell more bathrooms.
But for real- life is too good, too easy for people, so your mind starts to come up with some sort of drama just to keep it entertained, just to keep up some kind of challenge and it's always kinda cool and elite to know the REAL info, the stuff THEY want to hide from you, but these guys, these guys knows all the inside info, they know all the secret (real) stuff, that is kept from us (mouth breather sheep) :)

BigBoy2018

Suspended
Oct 23, 2018
Newsflash: 99.99999999999% of space is void, rest is "rock", as you put it. It may not be "interesting" to you but many technologies you use today are available due to the technological jump due to space race. So what was our real argument again?

Obviously the people with the purse strings dont see enough value in exploring the moon further, otherwise they would have paid for it. Just sayin’

Cayenne1

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2016
Knoxville, TN
Most unfortunately have no concept as to why we went to the moon.

The times were so different: three major assassinations, the draft, 50K+ deaths in Vietnam, racial riots burning cities, real threat of nuclear armageddon, the U.S.S.R., Khrushchev, the Arms Race, etc. The country was scared, I was. Today is nothing like that unless you think the world has 12 years left because you drive an SUV.

And then there was the Space program. It rallied around a goal that united the country in spite of all the horror of that decade. And it worked. It brought hope. And it wasn't for all mankind, it was for us. We just shared it with the world that needed hope as well.

So, watch the Apollo 11 documentaries. It was a special time in history never to be repeated. I watched that stunning Saturn V launch after driving over a thousand miles in a beat up V.W. bug. I watched the first steps live on TV, and the planting of the Stars and Stripes on the moon. That was what it was all about for this country. We needed that. It was not about a bunch of dumb rocks.

It was a different time. The Vietnam horrors came back for me personally, but for a time we were all proud of and loved our country.

MoreRumors?

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2018
To be honest, with the soon to be ever growing companies of streaming services, I think they all should provide the first episode free of charge to see if it will be worthwhile to sign up. I, for one, do not want to sign up for multiple streaming service as it all add up as a costly monthly expense. This trailer does not want me to sign up for Apple TV+ just to watch this particular show.

Nobody had teeth that white back then. It's just not realistic.
Back then, everyone had the same equal white teeth as seen on black and white t.v. ;):p

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
It costs billions of dollars, and after about 6 trips to the moon they realized it's not all that interesting. Just a lot of the same moon rock they found the first 5 times.

You want to fund the incredible expense to see nothing more than you saw previously?

Planetary geologist here, you are so very, VERY wrong. They found the moons original crust on Apollo 15 (not 11, or 12, or 14) a mineral called anorthosite "the genesis rock" which crystallised when the magma ocean solidified. We also now know from orbital data there is a rock terrain called KREEP that Apollo astronauts didn't even sample, as we only discovered this AFTER the program, the acronym stands for a rocks that are high in (Potassium, Rare Earth Elements and Phosphorus). These formed after the original crust and are thus enriched in these elements, we really need a sample as that would confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt the large impact hypothesis which we only figured out from going to the moon in the first place! To say nothing of the volatiles in the mantle, or at the poles. The rocks are very VERY different. Especially between missions, and especially from terrestrial rocks.
During Apollo entire geology teams surveyed the moon to choose the best places and the astronauts were given a crash course in under graduate geology, hell even a PhD geologist went to the moon on Apollo 17. All this to make sure were were getting the right rocks back to understand the story of the moon.

Thanks to the Apollo missions. We now know 1) How the moon formed. 2) There was an event called the "late heavy bombardment" in the early solar system that effected every planet. The LHB was responsible for delivering all the metals we mine today. 2) A dating mechanism for all the bodies in the solar-system which is important for finding life on Mars, as we can date when it last had water at the surface. 3) Why Earth has such a thin crust and plate tectonics (because its orbiting us as the moon). 4) A thin crust and continued volcanism may be the crucial step point that it may well explain why there is life on this planet in the first place.

NONE of this would be known without the Apollo missions. We should still not know how the moon formed. The age of the surface of Mars or the other terrestrial planets Where all the metals we mine come from, or why our crust is so thin and we are full of volcanoes.

We have 382kg of lunar material thanks to these missions, and we are still learning new things. Every new advancement in imaging or scientific analysis equipment means we get to go to the moon again for free, and learn something new thanks to this amazing legacy and curational efforts of NASA.

This is a picture of me at the lunar vault.

2xFhLZY.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mburkhard

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2012
I wasn't interested in any AppleTV show. Now I know that Ronald D. Moore and Mike Okuda are part of the production team, both genius at TV/movie production... instant buy! :)

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
Has it ever been mentioned whether TV+ will release episodes a season at a time (like Netflix) or episode a week (like HBO)?

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
One benefit of the space program gets very little attention: the advances in computer hardware and software that were developed at MIT for the Apollo Guidance Computer (AGC). It was the first digital flight computer and was amazingly successful despite being a tiny 70 pound box in an era when mainframe computers took up entire rooms. It reportedly took 2000 person-years (mostly man-years, of course) to create it, and the number of hardware and software innovations is astounding.

The source code is viewable, for anyone who is interested. And you can run it yourself using an AGC simulator.

Reactions: Gasu E. and brgjoe

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
It costs billions of dollars, and after about 6 trips to the moon they realized it's not all that interesting. Just a lot of the same moon rock they found the first 5 times.

You want to fund the incredible expense to see nothing more than you saw previously?

The genesis rock was found during the Apollo 15 mission. Educate yourself.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Planetary geologist here, you are so very, VERY wrong. They found the moons original crust on Apollo 15 (not 11, or 12, or 14) a mineral called anorthosite "the genesis rock" which crystallised when the magma ocean solidified. We also now know from orbital data there is a rock terrain called KREEP that Apollo astronauts didn't even sample, as we only discovered this AFTER the program, the acronym stands for a rocks that are high in (Potassium, Rare Earth Elements and Phosphorus). These formed after the original crust and are thus enriched in these elements, we really need a sample as that would confirm beyond a shadow of a doubt the large impact hypothesis which we only figured out from going to the moon in the first place! To say nothing of the volatiles in the mantle, or at the poles. The rocks are very VERY different. Especially between missions, and especially from terrestrial rocks.
During Apollo entire geology teams surveyed the moon to choose the best places and the astronauts were given a crash course in under graduate geology, hell even a PhD geologist went to the moon on Apollo 17. All this to make sure were were getting the right rocks back to understand the story of the moon.

Thanks to the Apollo missions. We now know 1) How the moon formed. 2) There was an event called the "late heavy bombardment" in the early solar system that effected every planet. The LHB was responsible for delivering all the metals we mine today. 2) A dating mechanism for all the bodies in the solar-system which is important for finding life on Mars, as we can date when it last had water at the surface. 3) Why Earth has such a thin crust and plate tectonics (because its orbiting us as the moon). 4) A thin crust and continued volcanism may be the crucial step point that it may well explain why there is life on this planet in the first place.

NONE of this would be known without the Apollo missions. We should still not know how the moon formed. The age of the surface of Mars or the other terrestrial planets Where all the metals we mine come from, or why our crust is so thin and we are full of volcanoes.

We have 382kg of lunar material thanks to these missions, and we are still learning new things. Every new advancement in imaging or scientific analysis equipment means we get to go to the moon again for free, and learn something new thanks to this amazing legacy and curational efforts of NASA.

2xFhLZY.jpg
That’s cool.

Reactions: TheFluffyDuck

vkd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012

2xFhLZY.jpg

Shouldn't you be looking at the rocks instead of the pretty girl? LOL

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Seems kind of disrespectful to try and piggyback the marketing of a show whose premise is we failed to make it to the moon first on the anniversary of the successful moon landing.

Not saying the show couldn’t be interesting, just not digging the disrespect. I won’t be watching though, because I don’t need any more TV subscriptions.

Is someone offended? If so, who?
[doublepost=1563389683][/doublepost]
So this is a show that is going to be on the mythical Apple streaming service, the one they have been talking about for 3 years that does not have a launch date or any pricing?

It's going to be launched in the alternate history universe where Apple launched its streaming service 3 years ago, and where it has already overtaken Netflix.
[doublepost=1563389988][/doublepost]

2xFhLZY.jpg
Terrific post. Thank you! I think at this point, however, further exploration can be done more effectively by robots.

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Seems kind of disrespectful to try and piggyback the marketing of a show whose premise is we failed to make it to the moon first on the anniversary of the successful moon landing.

People celebrating the real achievement might be offended if the fake-landing-conspiracy was being given broad attention, but showing a "what if" scenario about the U.S. losing the space race might emphasize just how important the success really was to the country at the time.

developer13245

macrumors 6502a
Nov 15, 2012
Yup, and the rest of the plot is us trying to reclaim that national pride by beating them to Mars and Saturn (I assume it's moons). I like it.

Still horse pucky. And brainwashing - the theme of "reclaiming national pride" will be "infused" with a cloaked set of social messages aimed at deriding our country. The show will criticize the very attributes of America that enabled the success of Apollo 11 - how very stupid.

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
[doublepost=1563389683][/doublepost]

It's going to be launched in the alternate history universe where Apple launched its streaming service 3 years ago, and where it has already overtaken Netflix.
[doublepost=1563389988][/doublepost]
Terrific post. Thank you! I think at this point, however, further exploration can be done more effectively by robots.

Glad you liked it! We are lucky with the moon that this is possible. The moon is only one light second away, thats fine to remotely pilot a robot in real time. Thats what the soviets did with two robotic landers. But here is the thing, they only returned several grams of lunar soil, Apollo returned one third of a ton of rocks! By making a mission human classed you automatically are putting more capability on the surface to return more samples.
So while the moon is the best place in the solar system to operate robots in near real time, a human is just much more capable. A human eye has better frame rate, better field of view, and much MUCH better handling of dynamic range, and higher resolution than a rover. A human geologist can pick up a rock, identify minerals and put it back down, then move on. Rovers cant even tip over a rock on purpose.
Any geologist can tell you, that you cant identify a rock to any degree of accuracy from a photo alone, it requires the human eye. The language every day people use like "colour", or "texture", is inadequate for mineral identification which is why people think photos are enough. Geologists use, "fracture, hardness, habit, and cleavage", which cant be captured in a photo it requires interaction with the mineral in your hand, rotating it, getting the light to bounce off it in a diagnostic way. Sure you can do this with a robot, but it will take you several days to survey a single rock, what a geologist can do in 30 seconds.

Robots are cool, they have revealed so much about the Moon, Mars and beyond. But they are like porn, no substitute for the real thing, and ultimately unsatisfying. We give robots names to impart personality but they are not flesh and blood. There is no daring, no heroes, no wonder, no experience for exploring beautiful places, and no human story. These are the things that act on the consciousness of a civilisation, that creates new generation of scientists, engineers and technologists that create tomorrow. Neil Armstrong inspires kids, not Surveyor III. We make movies about astronauts, we don't make movies about Landsat 1.

So while I think you are correct in that robots could do it, the moon is close enough that we should do it in person. We should not retreat and do less than those a generation ago did. Especially when we have more, and they had less. We need cathedral thinking, and we absolutely need a universal good to rally behind; exploration, that one thing that drives teenagers overseas when they finish school, and the dream of your next holiday is good for the soul. Exploration is mankind's last great innocence and we need to hold onto that, and not let cynicism and existential fatigue take hold.

Reactions: extrachrispy

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
So while the moon is the best place in the solar system to operate robots in near real time, a human is just much more capable. A human eye has better frame rate, better field of view, and much MUCH better handling of dynamic range, and higher resolution than a rover. A human geologist can pick up a rock, identify minerals and put it back down, then move on. Rovers cant even tip over a rock on purpose.
I think it's just as important that a human can adapt to changing and unpredicted circumstances, while a robot can do only what it's programmed to do or remotely directed to do. For example, what if there's something surprising about certain rocks or soil samples when manipulated or viewed a certain way? A human would notice this and could change the plan of action without delay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.