Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Shares New Videos Aimed at Luring Android Users to iPhone

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple this afternoon uploaded several new short videos to its YouTube channel, which are aimed at luring current Android smartphone users to the iPhone.

The first video, "Ease," is meant to demonstrate how easy it is to transfer content from an Android device to an iPhone using the Move to iOS app from Apple.

In the video, a man holding an umbrella floats from the bottom of the screen, titled "Your phone" to the top of the screen, titled "iPhone," while the video's description points users towards the Move to iOS app.
Upgrade to iPhone. The Move to iOS app makes it simple to move your music, photos, and more to iPhone. Switch today.
A second video, styled in the same way, is meant to demonstrate the security of iOS devices compared to Android devices. The video's description highlights the frequent iOS updates that Apple releases.

Frequent iOS updates help keep your iPhone more secure. Life's easier on iPhone. Switch today.
Two additional videos, "Environment" and "Apple Support" focus on Apple's commitment to the environment and its support options, which include Apple retail stores, online support, and phone support.

All of the videos direct users to Apple's "Switch" website, which is designed for customers who use an Android or another smartphone and are thinking of switching to an iPhone.

The website answers simple questions like "Will it be easy to switch to iPhone?" and "Will iPhone be easy to use?"

It also offers up details on key features that differentiate the iPhone from other devices, such as Portrait Mode, iMessages, Apple-designed chips, Touch ID and Face ID, user privacy, the App Store, and more.

Since 2015, Apple has offered the "Move to iOS" app which is designed to make it quick for Android users to swap to an iPhone by transferring data like contacts, message history, photos and videos, web bookmarks, mail account information, calendars, wallpapers, DRM-free songs, and books.

Apple has been ramping up its efforts to lure Android switchers to iPhone since 2017, when it overhauled the "Switch" site and first began releasing ads targeted at Android users.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Videos Aimed at Luring Android Users to iPhone

Reactions: BooBee

Baymowe335

macrumors 603
Oct 6, 2017
It will take a lot more than that, from what I can tell. The smartphone industry has peaked, and like it or not, the iPhone isn’t as compelling a device as it used to be.
Numbers say it's very compelling.

Normalized for a 14 week quarter, Apple sold 83M iphones at almost $800 each and continues to have the highest loyalty in the business (over 90% buy another iPhone).

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
the iPhone isn’t as compelling a device as it used to be.

Let’s not have any false modesty, the iPhone has a very strong following for many reasons, not just including sales numbers either. Aside from all the hardware advancements, it’s iOS that wins me over android. I would rather have five years of support versus two years and coupled with Apples security.

Comment

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Okay I'm not hating because if the ''cool'' thing to do here, but I genuinely only liked the 4th one. In the first one, it's like they are bashing their (hopefully) new customers. I understood the second one only after reading the explaining text (might be me haha) and the third one is especially weird and makes zero sense.

Reactions: LandRovers
Comment

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
We are at the F- series vs Silverado point. Ads don't change brand preference. They arm their userbase with copy and remind customers to upgrade.

Reactions: RickInHouston
Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin

Normalized for a 14 week quarter, Apple sold 83M iphones at almost $800 each and continues to have the highest loyalty in the business (over 90% buy another iPhone).

You can interprete numbers any way you want. Apple also sold 1m less devices compared to last year’s Q4, even with a substantially redesigned iPhone.

And I’m speaking as an iPhone user (who’s grown terminally bored of iOS).

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place

You're arguing a different point. @otternonsense is arguing it's going to take more than a few videos to convert Android users to iPhone. You are arguing iPhone users tend to buy iPhones again. Those are not the same.

I think he's right. Those videos, although cute, wouldn't convince anyone to switch imo.

Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Didn’t Tim Cook state that the iPhone X was the top selling iPhone every week since it launch since November 3? So what are you disputing exactly about a “Redesigned” iPhone?

They still sold 1 million less iPhones than the year before, during a major redesign cycle, and offset the revenue with the higher pricing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tim Cook also says he’s a product guy, but yea, I wouldn’t really believe what Tim Cook says compared to what he does.

Reactions: nzgeorge
Comment

wozmatic

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2014

Comment

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
It's just that easy? Eh, I don't buy it. And I've used nothing but an iPhone since 3GS. Even upgrading an iPhone isn't "that easy".

Also, the "zero waste" one led in a different direction than I thought it would. As I was watching the guy struggle to get the coffee cup off his space, I was thinking that they were implying Android phones have all sorts of crap you can't get rid of on their desktop. Not sure it's true, but I think that would have made for a more fun commercial.

Comment

KnightMagic

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2017
Most android users I know are cheap in most aspects of their life, tech included.

The few that care most about tech are intrinsically attracted to the inconvenient ways of doing things.

With friends like you who needs enemies. It's exactly this attitude towards other people (over a phone, seriously?) that can turn people off being associated in any way with the apple community.

Comment

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Apple is not even playing in the same ballfield as the vast number of Android phones ($300 and below). So, I guess those who did have the means to buy a premium Android phone chose to purchase Android over the iPhone. So, how will these very basic ads convince such people to switch?

Comment

Michael Scrip

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2011
NC
98% of Android users choose android phones because they are cheaper. No amount of cute advertising is going to change that.

Exactly.

The term "Android phone" can mean anything... from a $75 no-name phone from China or India... to a $900 flagship from Samsung.

So yes... the people who buy those $75 no-name phones will probably keep buying that type of phone. I doubt they will ever see these videos.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.