Apple Shares New Videos in iPhone Tips Series Covering Wallet, Face ID, Live Photos, Apple Support App and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple this afternoon shared several new videos that are part of its ongoing iPhone tips series called "iPhone Can Do What?" that was launched earlier this week.

The new videos cover getting help on Apple products using the Apple Support app, unlocking the iPhone with Face ID, accessing boarding passes in the Wallet app, and choosing a new key frame in a Live Photo. There's also a video highlighting the fact that Apple's iPhones are water resistant, which pertains to the iPhone 7 and later.

Each video's description links to Apple's full iPhone tips website, which includes additional short tutorial videos and tips on available iPhone features.

Article Link: Apple Shares New Videos in iPhone Tips Series Covering Wallet, Face ID, Live Photos, Apple Support App and More

2. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

Poor guy only has $78 left in his chase account after buying an iPhone.

3. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

Back on topic, I think this is a smart move by Apple.
    Some of these options I did not even know existed...

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

These are ads not tips. Nobody is going to learn a damn thing from these ultra short vids.

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Last September, my iPhone X got wet like that video and it became a brick and had no insurance.

6. now i see it, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

now i see it macrumors 68040

Actually iOS now desperately needs tutorials for first time users because there is sooooo much hidden stuff that's difficult to figure out (and remember for the first time). Those of us who've been using iOS for a long time have memorized how it all works and how to get from point A to Point B (in the typical circuitous iOS maze) but for newbies? It's an extremely frustrating experience. I'd venture to say it's "horrible" for first time users.

7. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

They're tips...wrapped inside of an ad. If they took out the music, I could see these short clips as clickable demos embedded in the iOS user guides.

8. fredrik9 macrumors regular

fredrik9

Live Photos seriously is one of the main reasons why I bought the iPhone X. I still had the iPhone 6 which doesn’t support Live Photos and my daughter had just been born around the iPhone X launch and I wanted to take great photos of her with Live Photos. It is a wonderful feature and I have it on constantly. I don’t know if Android offers anything remotely as good?

Those other videos though, not so groundbreaking. Who cares about water resistance on a phone? Everyone has it anyway and I never put my phone in water and accidents are incredibly rare, and in rain, even my old iPhone 4S did just fine. And boarding pass not impressive nor is chat with an expert. However, Face ID is still the best. Now when I use Touch ID I feel like it’s a PITA.

9. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

I believe the Xs has a higher IP rating than the X.

10. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Indeed. The XS is ‘IP68’, as the XR and 2017 X is IP67.

11. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

I agree that Apple should give customers some slack but the problem is that "water resistance" is kind of a relative term. The IP specs are pretty specific as to how far they go. Water resistant doesn't mean waterproof. (Interesting article on the subject: http://www.iphonehacks.com/2018/09/iphone-xs-ip68-water-resistant-explained.html)
    Apple doesn't really know the customer's backstory. As a service tech for 35 years the phrase I heard most often was "I don't know how this happened". I knew. :)

12. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

They used to say a great product shouldn't come with a manual on how to use.

13. PickUrPoison macrumors 68040

Then maybe they should do some short videos instead?

14. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

They weren't supposed to do anything at all, since iOS was meant to be so intuitive and easy to use.

15. supremedesigner macrumors 6502a

supremedesigner

Something tells me that at the end of each clips have "icons" that shrink and possibly move around, similar like Apple Watch... could be the hint of upcoming iOS 13?

16. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

That's the way they found out to make the layout with all the Apps in the video. Nothing to do with hints.

17. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask the user to meet the tech halfway. You either learn it or fight it.
    I usually go through the Settings app on my phone after each major upgrade. I find all kinds of new options that way.

18. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Well... I don't have a TV and don't routinely subscribe to any net "channels" chatting me up about Apple gear. So, and since I didn't see the keynote introducing the iPhone X rollout for awhile after it was put up, ads similar to those are what taught me to refer to an iPhone X-something as a TEN-something.

It's not that I don't understand Roman numerals,,,,, it's just that when I was a kid and the famous test pilot Chuck Yeager was every kid's hero (well the hero of any kid in a family full of boys anyway), we all knew that the plane he was perhaps most famous for testing was the X-1 in which he broke the sound barrier. Believe me, no one called that thing the Bell Ten-One. It took me a long time to learn to see OS X and call it OS ten, too. :D

It wasn't the TEN-one.jpg

19. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Yeah I get your point, the thing is with all these recent Ads during the months you can tell Apple is losing market share which to laugh for and well deserved. They're using everything they can to market their overpriced "Max's".
    --- Post Merged, Mar 9, 2019 ---
    S10 hands down.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

......And I’m willing to believe the majority of iPhone users don’t explore through their settings to find new options and/or likely don’t even know to navigate their phone that well through the Settings to make certain adjustments. The ‘basic tutorial’ of what Apple tries to demonstrate the user, is things that they would generally understand.

[For example]- how many users actually know how to fully take advantage of the functionality of 3D Touch? Likely not many. Why? Because Apple doesn’t really advocate 3D Touch, and even searching through the Settings doesn’t fully explain everything that what is capable of. That’s why these turtorial videos and general marketing really helps emphasize highlighted iPhone features.

21. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

Yep. I've found some of these "short features" :D useful in sending me next to a downloaded copy of the iPhone Users Guide for a little closer look at some section of that manual about features of the latest hardware and iOS. And I've been an iPhone user since the orginal iPhone was rolled out.

"It just works" tends still to be true. It's why Apple can now stick a little card in the box that just tells you how to turn a new device on. The human interface and its implementation in at least getting a new iPhone up and running has been improved over the years.

Still, some of the innovations and tweaks in each new cycle are such that if we're not curious about what's new under the hood, we're not likely to discover WHAT ELSE in a new iPhone just works and might prove useful to us. If nothing else these little ads can ignite enough curiosity to find out more.

22. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Apple has added a LOT of functionality to iOS over the years and the “it just works” mantra doesn’t apply anymore. Apple needs to better promote (educate) users on all the things they can do.

23. KPandian1, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019

KPandian1 macrumors 65816

I wish that Apple had a YouTube like site that is all about Apple and Apple consumers posting. It won't be big, a good thing because it will be cheap.

They should have a teaching segment that is 90% of the site, modeled after the famous "Khan Academy", only for Apple/Mac/iPhones/iOS/MacOS.

The traffic may not be much, but it can be a great teaching /propaganda tool site.

24. Iconoclysm macrumors 68020

Iconoclysm

From what I see, the prices of all smartphones are generally in the same ballpark right now. Apple isn't losing marketshare to anything anywhere near their price, if you actually pay attention to actual phone sales you'd see this. As far as deserved, it amazes me how personally invested some of you are with your criticisms of even the slightest things when it comes to a company you dislike. The fact you even bother talking on an Apple centric forum about this stuff really just shows how much you crave attention.

25. Crowbot macrumors regular

Crowbot

And I'm sure you're right. Apple used to pride itself on not needing to include (or even produce) user manuals. I think those days are gone. But most people I tell are surprised to learn that manuals are now available in the Apple Book store. Very useful.