Apple Shares New Videos in iPhone Tips Series Covering Wallet, Face ID, Live Photos, Apple Support App and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Remy149 macrumors 6502

You say that but most people I know who aren’t into tech don’t even understand the difference between lcd and OLED. I know a lot of people who bought iPhone 8 when the x was launched and xr instead of one of the Xs.

2. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

That's why Apple won awards for there lcd displays. But I suppose oled will be considered garbage when micro-led comes of age.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2019 ---
    Do you have a citation for that "opinion" on where one is supposed to pick up an iphone and just start using it? Or is that a meme?
    Interestingly the xr has lcd and some people are claiming they are buying the xr due to lcd.

3. Machead2012, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

Machead2012 macrumors regular

4. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors 6502

Romeo_Nightfall

Android had it before apple, on the iPhone, too. It’s a google photos feature ripped by apple
    How can an android phone be inferior, that’s just not fact based! Android is far superior in almost any category. Maybe You like the iPhone more, but facts are against your personal preference.

5. iGeek2014 macrumors 68020

That’s weird as I’ve been able to store them on my XR.

6. LizKat macrumors 601

LizKat

That was before we demanded so many "features"... :D

7. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

One android vendor, if I recall, had a Live Photo’s equivalent prior to 2015. Everyone else after that ripped it off. I can’t find a citation but if you have a link to the history of Live Photo’s on android, it would clarify this “android had it first”.

8. Ribitsch macrumors member

yeah but easier said than done, all customers want new features, and at some point by always adding new functionality, the use gets a little bit more complicated
    you could share your insights on how to improve the usability by maintaining all the features of iOS (I know that some points can be improved, but all in all iOS is pretty solid for me)

9. Radon87000 macrumors 604

They never won the Best Display on the Planet award. By the time MicroLED arrives, Samsung will have marched full steam ahead with their foldable displays.

10. GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

But this is because they are cheap and so appeal to large bases in India and China where $1000+ don’t sell well. This has nothing to do with market share because they are better phones. How does an individual Huawei/Xiamoi/Samsung or any other Android phone sell against iPhone? Even iPhone XS/Max since they are the same phone but different size? I would be willing to bet the Xiamoi and Huawei phones selling best in India and China are not the $1000+ phones.
    But this is because they are cheap and so appeal to large bases in India and China where $1000+ don’t sell well. This has nothing to do with market share because they are better phones. How does an individual Huawei/Xiamoi/Samsung or any other Android phone sell against iPhone? Even iPhone XS/Max since they are the same phone but different size? I would be willing to bet the Xiamoi and Huawei phones selling best in India and China are not the $1000+ phones.

11. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

Yeah, sounds like it’s so much better than running Linux on an actual laptop, where you don’t have to hunt high & low hoping to find Apps compiled for ARM and don’t have to worry about the performance of running Linux on a gimped mobile processor with limited RAM.
    They never did for an LCD, but Apple has won best display for the X and XS. It’s a given though, considering the architecture of Android vs iOS. The same screen tech will always win on an iPhone.

12. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The caveat being, by the time micro LED does launch is, you have no idea and neither does anyone else, if foldable displays will be the future or not. It very well could be a niche technology that’s not fully adopted that will be phased out like the 3-D curved TV’s. It’s all innovative, but with the price and the lack of appeal for some, they’re generally not interested in certain technology if it doesn’t suit their financial needs. (Especially with a $2000 folding phone.)

13. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Micro-led is going to bust open the entire foldable market as oled is not needed. But it must have hurt Samsung to have an lcd best their oled panels. No?

14. applefan69, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2019

applefan69 macrumors 6502a

Just because it is not a "book of instructions" its totally not a manual!

15. hans1972 macrumors 6502

Do you have a source where Apple or someone from has said that a product would require no manuals?

There is also a difference between requiring a manual to understand the basic operating of a device and providing a manual for complex or unusual functions.

Also Apple has provided both iOS and iPhone user manuals at least since iOS 3. Not only that, they also provide user manuals for they keyboards, mouses and trackpads, so I am very sceptical they have said that no user manual should ever be produced for a product.

16. lunarworks macrumors 68000

If you mean by that "me and my technically inclined group of friends agree LCD is garbage tier".

17. Morgenland, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019

Morgenland macrumors 6502a

Morgenland

Wow! At what level do you run? '...learn...' You mean 'learn'?
    I love the clips, they combine a few things that you normally find out for yourself.
    And they focus on a few things that I also enjoy every day.

18. realtuner macrumors 6502a

realtuner

What facts are those? I didn’t see any in your post.

19. Justanotherfanboy macrumors 6502

Justanotherfanboy

If you ask Siri to open settings, while you’re inside an app- it’ll open already drilled down to that setting.

20. Radon87000 macrumors 604

MicroLED is vaporware . OLED is a functional product. So are foldable displays. BTW Apple’s LCD never beat Samsung OLED.

21. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

Micro-led being vaporware is not the reality of it. With Apple pumping millions into display tech you never know when commercially viable display panels. Before we each go asking for some citation on our respective remarks for Apple lcd beating Samsung oled...

22. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

I wonder to who they’re targeted at because most features they are showing aren’t unique to iPhones and when you already have an iPhone I found those tips more convenient. So what’s the goal of these ads?

23. Delgibbons macrumors 6502a

Delgibbons

Umm.... everyone seems to be forgetting the huge modular MicroLED wall screen that Samsung demoed. Months ago.

https://www.samsung.com/us/business/products/displays/direct-view-led/the-wall/