Apple Shares New 'What's a Computer' Ad Focused on iPad Pro Features

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 16, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new "What's a computer" iPad Pro ad on its YouTube channel, highlighting the myriad things an iPad Pro can do along with new iPad features introduced in iOS 11.

The video, set to the song "Go" by Louis The Child," shows off the iPad's versatility as a computer replacement, following a teen as she chats with friends, takes and edits photos, writes a paper, draws with the Apple Pencil, reads comics, and more while on the go.

Features and accessories covered in the video include split-screen multitasking, the iOS 11 dock, the iPad's camera capabilities, the Apple Pencil, the Smart Keyboard, and photo markup

At the end of the spot, the teen's mom asks her "What are you doing on your computer?" And she responds, "What's a computer?"

Apple has shared multiple iPad Pro ads in the past, positioning the device as a computer replacement. Most recently, Apple published several short tutorial videos designed to show off all of the new features introduced on iPad in iOS 11

Article Link: Apple Shares New 'What's a Computer' Ad Focused on iPad Pro Features

2. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

until iPad has a proper filing system, it will never replace my laptop

3. nightflight82 macrumors newbie

nightflight82

oh no ipad sales are down boo hoo..nothing like a bit of marketing....

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Nice commercial, but the "what's a computer" line made it so lame. Please, like a kid that age wouldn't know what a computer is...? Come on.

5. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

Until I can develop iOS apps on iOS device I still need a computer ...

6. andreyush macrumors 6502

andreyush

7. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

One of Apple’s better iPad apps in a while. A lot better than the Your Verse campaign.

8. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

9. Duel, Nov 16, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2017

Duel macrumors member

What a great ending. Apple really changed the idea what "computer" is.

Basicly only thing which i do with my desktop computer nowdays is making music, everything else i do with my iPad Pro 10,5" it's by far my favourite "computer"

10. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

A lot of people argue iPad isn’t a real computer, it’s just a content consumption device.

iPad sales are actually up.

11. kyykesko macrumors 6502

kyykesko

What's a computer? Hint: it's not iPad.

There's always dozens of people who only use their computer as a pocket calculator and use that to justify claiming that iPad can replace a computer. Sorry, it can't. It doesn't even come close. It's a nice device to use in addition to a computer in certain niche jobs but that's about it.

12. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

It's 2017 and I still have absolutely no use case for a tablet.

If I want a portable-but-not-a-phone device, I use my 11" Air.

13. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

I seriously considered using an iPad pro as a computer replacement for development but iOS is still way too restricted for my needs. No CLI and not being able to open the same app twice... Great devices but still a long way to go!

14. nightflight82 macrumors newbie

nightflight82

yes ipad sales might be up now due to cheaper models but the overall picture is not rosy...i bought an ipad and for me it was the biggest mistake ever...i should ve invested in macbook air rather..for any uni student ipad's productivity sucks!

15. cicalinarrot macrumors regular

cicalinarrot

And this would be weird and worthy of your (veeery funny) mockeries because... ?

16. rturner2 macrumors 6502a

Give me mouse support so I can do some remote desktop work... for a step in the right direction.

17. mi7chy macrumors 601

mi7chy

Until an iPad can do basic things like restore another iPad it's not even close to being a computer replacement.

18. thekeyring macrumors 68040

God forbid Apple runs ads for it's products...

19. wsbsteven macrumors member

What's a computer? Well you can be a computer replacement unless you know what you're replacing.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

A computer runs OS X.

No but seriously. I’d be the first in line for an iPad that runs OS X. Dual boot is fine too.

21. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Reminds me of the videos where they show kids a floppy disk and ask what is it?
    I don't believe a kid would say what's a computer yet. Maybe what are you doing on you PC might work better.

22. thekeyring macrumors 68040

There's already a product for what you need! A Mac.

23. bit_bucket macrumors regular

bit_bucket

The heck with the merits of if it’s a computer or not. It is whatever you want it to be. My computing habits are different from yours.

My real question, what was that move she did with the keyboard up to collapse it. Need to practice that one handed keyboard collapse.

24. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

I gotta agree with you there. That was a bit too on the nose. Absolutely no subtlety. All sledgehammer. Until that point in the video, it was a fairly decent ad.

25. 3rdiguy macrumors 65816

3rdiguy

Can’t do a full iOS backup without a true
    “ computer “