Apple Shares Two New iPad Pro Ads in Twitter-Based Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2017.

1. I7guy macrumors G5

You can use anything you want, FaceTime is head and shoulders above skype because there is no back door. Don't need the govt listening in on my conversation.

2. Radon87000 macrumors 603

Skype destroys FaceTime because it's available to install for everyone. Proprietary software is never good for this reason.

The government is listening on both FaceTime and Skype. It's too naive to think Apple is a saint in all this,

3. I7guy macrumors G5

Nope facetime is secure. Microsoft already admitted a back-door in skype. I trust apple more than microsoft with this. All software is proprietary as someone has to write it. The only non-proprietary software is open source. But hey, we are each free to think what we want and think what is best for us, right?

4. Radon87000 macrumors 603

Which is called being honest. Unlike Apple, Google and Microsoft are straightforward in admitting facts. In today's day and age its foolish to think corporations give a **** about your privacy

Skype is superior for 1 simple reason. Its available everywhere. Facetime is not, which creates a hurdle when communicating with non iPhone users. For a similar reason Chrome browser on Android is superior to Samsung's browser because its available cross platform

5. Sefstah macrumors 6502

Those people need an iPad then. Not a laptop. Until an iPad can do all the features of a laptop, it can't replace it.

6. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

somehow I imagine some with this mindset are also the ones who talk to their phones, or Bluetooth it. .you know not the tradition phone to ear types. use phone like walkie talkies. Especially for this facetime/Skype stuff.

Love it when they get attitudes when you laugh at something they say. Gets you that dirty look of "do you mind"? Umm...you are speaking loud enough to hear you 15 feet away And I have less than great hearing from old jobs and a wilder youth filled with lots of metal concerts. speak more softly, problem solved. And not 15 from the designated smoking area by a busy entrance to a building. Privacy....you have none of it here.

Well that and the government is also in the infrastructure between the endpoints. leaks and such have already showed they just intercept and crunch on collected stuff on the route from point A to point B.

Worried about the government best opt for real face time. As in face to face. Will insert joke about needing the cones of silence too....lets see how many remember that old school reference.

7. I7guy macrumors G5

Okay that's your view, I belueve Apple is straightforward as well, in fact moreso. At least they don't install call home software.

Facetime is superior because it's native and also end to end encrypted. Sure Apple knows who you called, but not what you said. Android is a mess with different "standards". But let's admit "superior " is subjective.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2017 ---
    Haha, I get the reference. Missed it by that much....

8. Bacillus, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 65816

Bacillus

Your specific use case (a modern Rembrandt that can afford it ;)) apparently isn't hampered or even conceals the technical limitations of a laptop-priced tablet (lack of multi-screen, I/O, expandability, true multi-window, a phoneOS, lack of file management)
    I am not saying you're not a Pro or denying the latest iDevice to be of your advantage.
    I am saying that Pro specs have become inflated. Possibly to serve you, but to the disadvantage of thousands of technical Pro customers who invested heavily into this company.
    If you consider that "my" problem: fine, but I share that with a far wider range of use cases than a new style Mr. Rembrandt in his singular artist perspective.

9. yanksfan114 macrumors regular

Yeah Notability does the same. That's the feature I was describing
    --- Post Merged, Mar 8, 2017 ---
    Cool. I'm sure my coworkers are spilling the beans on multimillion dollar ideas everyday.

10. laz232 macrumors regular

;) at that is why I think that most internet iPad "workflow" experts are deluding themselves (and others) when they contort themselves trying to do work for which a laptop (MacBook or other) would be way better suited - all buying into Tim Cook's reality distortion field.

11. whohasaquestion macrumors 6502

I wonder the best way to do similar thing with phone call. A lot of my meetings take place on the phone, not trying to intrude anyone's privacy, but it would be really helpful for later reference.

12. JDW macrumors regular

JDW

Great ads to get folks to buy existing inventory so Apple can then release brand new iPads and make those buyers green with envy!