Apple Shares Two New iPad Pro Ads in Twitter-Based Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2017.

1. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Cheers for this. It's makes a lot of sense. For me, I absolutely love my air 2 and iPad Pro. Which could I live without, the iPad Pro. Though in my case the air is that perfect device to research, consume content and serve the web. Perfect for all my light needs. As soon as I need to do something more, I jump on a computer. My MacBook and MacBook Pro retina are so much ...so much better at what they were designed for. I tried the pro, I bought the pencil and the keyboard .....it weighed / was more bulky than my MacBook....poor design in my book, while having a fraction of rhe functionality. So I own the MacBook as my ultra portable and the iPad Pro has been relegated to watching tv series in bed...it's even to ackward to use to serve the web etc, I use the air 2 for that, the perfect size.

We are all different though, my experience is my own, others will disagree greatly. I just find iOS way too limited for my needs. I'm in the process of building a hackintosh using my 12C 2697v2, cause I can make a real computer , and at the same time have fun watercooling it. This will run at about 3.3 on all 12 cores and by my go to device for anything work related, the iPad Pro is a toy for . Though that is just me. I know many posters here that just use it, awesome for them.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    It's interesting, my generation...well the generation before mine , where given the basic tools and they made the magic happen, the hardware and software were not locked down. I kind of feel for the current generation as apple plays big brother.

Imagine if apple 1 and 2 were locked down like today's apple's products....sad :( anyway that is just another perspective how apple used to view its customers to how to views them now. I view it as a transition from a computer company to a consumer company that will end up in content creation/services. Fashion they failed

2. niploteksi macrumors regular

I completely agree.... the iPad is great for consuming media, light work and replacing the laptop at lectures. With a few dongles you can connect it to most projectors. For me, it couldn't replace a real computer if I had to choose one of the two.

3. I7guy macrumors G4

It couldn't replace a real computer for me either. But my 90 year old it's a perfect laptop replacement as her needs are:
    - checking facebook
    - responding to emails
    - watching netflix
    - facetime with her grandchildren
    - imessage with her family
    - plus other tasks the ipad is well equipped to handle.

4. pika2000 macrumors 68020

The iPad Pro is a tool. A laptop is a tool. Nobody is telling anybody to only use one tool. At the same time, dismissing the iPad Pro simply because you don't have a usage scenario for it is not wise.
    Typing up an essay sure is "better" with a hardware full-sized keyboard. Doesn't mean the iPad Pro cannot be used for other things.

5. Rettun1 macrumors regular

Why the big marketing push to sell the current pro when they are likely to update it within a few months? Seems kinda scummy

6. Sefstah Suspended

Really? "An iPad can replace a laptop. But only for the people that use it to email, internet and word processing. For all the rest of you, it can't." Do you really believe this nonsense? iPad is nowhere near replacing a laptop. Maybe someday, but not anytime soon.

7. Bacillus, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502a

Bacillus

Agree, while "lockdown" is one but not my greatest objection on the modern Apple (it always carried that aspect in it some way...)
    I'm more annoyed by my sons' and nephews' gruntling about the lack of a multi-touch MacBook, hopping over to Wintel/SurfacePro soon. I get in agony with Cook/Schiller in denial mode (their abysmal defensive arguments against anything multi-touch in their CPU line), the delusive creation of a pseudo solution (TouchBar) and now the class-B/grumpy Pro customer category, to get people pay MacBook level prices for a tablet.
    It's all about concealing and further exploiting their own inertia and shortcomings.

8. Dave245 macrumors 68040

Yes because it's true, my dad use to have a laptop (and Acer) he only used it for email, keeping Touch with friends and family on Facebook, photos, email, surfing the web and general things like that. He now does exactly the same thing with my old iPad 3. My mum also uses my old iPad Air 2, and she use to share the laptop with my dad. So for people like that yes iPads have replaced laptops. Personally I do more on my iPad Pro than I use to, but I do still like to have a Mac, the iPad Pro can easily handle word processing (for example).

9. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Valid point , it was always locked down, though Now days is getting silly. It's profits over use ability / accessibility :( at one stage apple were at the forefront .

10. EdT macrumors 6502

EdT

I'll agree that it handles what most casual users needs in a PC. The difference between today and 3-4 years ago is that there are now other products on the market that can make the same claim, and for the price of an iPad Pro that would include combination laptop/pad products that can do more and store more in formats that are easily transportable than the IPad can.

11. I7guy macrumors G4

That's true, but the overarching function is FaceTime, our entire family is iPhone and scattered and aunt loves to get in FaceTime with the family.

12. rudychidiac macrumors 6502

rudychidiac

I don't understand how your statement is relative to my original comment, but since you brought it up, the iPad pro is indeed a device for professionals. If you can't figure out a professional task that you could do on it this would be your problem.

Personally, I've made several paintings on an iPad Air (first generation) that were sold for at least $10,000 combined. And I can't wait to get an iPad pro to make my work easier.

13. EdT macrumors 6502

EdT

The biggest problem I have with FaceTime is that it apparently requires an Apple product to use it. All of the family members who have non Apple systems complain of being left out of video calls and want everyone to use Skype when trying to video call them, and that's 60% of the family. FaceTime (mostly) works well, but because it's proprietary it's not a universal option. My Android using family members point out that Skype is.

14. iMi macrumors 6502a

iMi

You make several excellent points. It was a pleasure to read. I agree completely that recording a class session doesn't work well in some, and maybe even most situations, especially today. As you described, it would be down right inappropriate under some circumstances. Any type of lecture or class interaction that deals with personal feelings or confidential details about students' lives is a noted exception. There is a significant difference between the type of lectures and student interactions one can expect from a business school than from a psychology school, for example. Recording a professor outlining the Ricordian economic model to listen to again later is very different from a group discussion centered on childhood abuse and how such experience affects a therapists approach to treating a client. Trust, as you said, is a critical component in the latter and recording it would violate that trust.

The classroom has changed, indeed. I would agree. Some of the most memorable and insightful learning moments that I recall involved mostly a lively class discussions and the sharing of ideas. Learning about a subject is very different from memorizing things about it. Privacy is another conversation all together. We are giving it up freely based on inaccurate perception of risk. Today's policies do not reflect real risk. They reflect heavily distorted perception of risk.

15. I7guy macrumors G4

My aunt facetimes with the family she wants to. Skype isn't universal either, but we get along well with FaceTime.

16. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

Skype exists on all platforms

17. I7guy macrumors G4

That's different from being a third party app, which my aunt doesn't have to install, due to FaceTime working as well as it does.

18. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

What if the other guy doesn't have an iPhone? I can ask an iOS user to install Skype but I can't ask an Android user to get FaceTime

19. I7guy macrumors G4

If the other person doesn't have an iPhone, SMS or phone call. Work related conference calls all have appropriate software.

20. Sefstah Suspended

Thats great, but it sounds like your parents didnt need a laptop in the first place. Maybe an iPad helped accomplish their specific tasks, but an iPad can't do half of what a laptop can do. If you dont use a laptop to its full potential, then dont get one. But saying an iPad can replace your mom and dads laptop, but not everyone elses is obsurd. The iPad is not a laptop replacement and you are delusional if you believe it does.

21. Dave245 macrumors 68040

But a lot of people do buy laptops for that reason, not everyone does video editing or photo editing or even gaming. I'm not saying that the iPad Pro can replace a laptop for people who need power or for the serious editor or gamer, but for people who just do the things I've mentioned it can. But if you don't believe that there are such people then we are wasting each other's time on this.

22. verpeiler macrumors 6502a

verpeiler

Okay, you really wanna tell us, typing and formatting things on an iPad with a BT-keyboard ist faster than using a 'real' laptop? Typing may be fine, but formatting text on an iPad is just plain horrible. I would prefer my MBA or any other ultrabook before that clumsy iPad-combo. Using that nice glass touchpad is so much more enjoyable than gorilla-arm-formatting stuff.

That's why I don't get all this "Laptop replacement" ads from Apple.

23. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

probably not no.
    Just seems a pain.
    I walk to the scanner, press a button and get scans and copies
    Using an iPad would be such a clunky way of doing what our company scanner does so easy in moments

24. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

I still pen and paper it. the IPP pulls down my books from safari online and such, the moleskine and pilot pen close by to take notes still though. I have been drawn to the ebooks world since in time I realized my every couple years purging of books on now old and deprecated material was becoming a pita.

But I am an honorary member of the society for anachronism, and a stationary geek. I have tried several note applications, none give that feeling good pen to good paper gives. Notability since mentioned for voice has some nice e-paper choices. even has some with a pseudo fibrous appearance paper would have. Just not the same.

25. Radon87000 macrumors 68040

No need to use such ancient relics when I can ask the other person to install Skype