Apple Shares Two New iPad Pro Ads in Twitter-Based Campaign

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 3, 2017.

1. jujufreeze macrumors 6502

I was agreeing with you.:)

2. RudySnow macrumors regular

RudySnow

My SOW states that whatever I do at work or for work is the company's prerogative, so if they are recording me, I have no control over that. It's called the Sarbanes-Oxley Act. Employment at will.

3. EdT macrumors 6502

EdT

Sorry. You are the second member this month that I misunderstood. I need to take remedial reading evidently.

4. BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Because today people see Microsoft and OEMS have better computers...does not really fly in 2017

5. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

There is no one definition of Pro, that's the whole point. Apple or any other company is free to define it however they wish.

The biggest hurdle, I feel, is that many people are too used to working on a PC and their mindset is stuck "doing things the PC way", which can make iOS workflows seem quirky or inaccessible in comparison.

Take for instance the file manager. I see many people clamouring for one here. Personally, having used an iPad for so long, I have grown accustomed to having all my files silo'ed by app and find the idea of having to navigate through a central hierarchy of folders just to locate the file I want inconvenient and incongruent.

My point is this - the iPad is a lot more capable than many people give it credit for, and the ads aim at giving people a taste of what it can be used for, as well as change their mindset that tablets are mainly for consumption. I don't see anything wrong with that.

6. vrBrew macrumors member

vrBrew

It all depends on your usage. I don't normally have navigation problems when locating files in a file system. I have needs for using multiple files/objects in multiple applications and viewing those applications at the same time across different platforms both real and virtual.

My work platform is 6 2K panels and my home office is 3 2k panels. A single screen interface isn't pro enough for me.

7. BoltmanLives, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Well it gets back to a simple few points: Can only run 4 apps concurrently in Maxipad pro, No ports, no file system to speak of, expensive, too many security prompts, old UI , bad use of space on apps, a developer afterthought so it gets scaled up phone apps mostly if lucky...

Other than that it may be the nicest tablet (and should be at the pricing) , it is not the nicest 2-in-1 though, 2-in-1 or 3-in-1 are the future not tablets .

So stuck on PC mindset is not correct, stuck on the ability to do more is.

"Pro" to me a a bare minimun is that it runs a professional level OS, iOS is NOT that so don't see how they lable it "pro"

8. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

And I really only need to run 1 when teaching in the classroom, or two side-by-side outside.

Having to contend with multiple overlapping, resizeable windows really isn't my idea of great UI.
    Aside from the Lightning to vga adaptor, everything else can be done wirelessly.
    As mentioned above, that's the way I like it.
    Still better than the state of updates on windows.
    It's functional, and most of your time will be spent within apps anyways.
    Such as?
    No idea what you mean here.
    Is it "a" future worth crowing about if people purchase 2-in-1 tablets mainly because that's the only laptop available but end up using only the laptop portion while ignoring / neglecting the tablet aspect?

9. BoltmanLives Suspended

BoltmanLives

Having to contend with multiple overlapping, resizeable windows really isn't my idea of great UI.

Well I think you may be in the minority

Aside from the Lightning to vga adaptor, everything else can be done wirelessly.

Its nice to have at least ONE usb

As mentioned above, that's the way I like it.

Well I think you may be in the minority

Still better than the state of updates on windows.

I disagree

It's functional, and most of your time will be spent within apps anyways.

I doubt that many use a desktop browser , and taskbar

Such as?

CALL OF DUTY WORLD AT WAR: ZOMBIES, Scrabble

No idea what you mean here.

See above

Is it "a" future worth crowing about if people purchase 2-in-1 tablets mainly because that's the only laptop available but end up using only the laptop portion while ignoring / neglecting the tablet aspect?

I don't ignore apps on my SP4 . I'm sure others are like me we like apps and regular programs and have a choice.

10. zoomcrypt macrumors member

these have got to be some of the worst apple commercials ever made...... hope this is an agency and not their new inhouse marketing team.

11. The Cappy macrumors newbie

I've done extensive writing on my iPads, and I think they're awesome for that. I think the biggest problem with the iPad as a pro device is the App Store. Subscriptions are a very clumsy solution to the need for paid upgrades.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 4, 2017 ---
    Like you're writing that from the Congo...
    Well, if you had paid attention, you might have seen that Apple actually did show a very real advantage. None of my paper note pads ever recorded the lectures I sat through.

12. naeS1Sean, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017

naeS1Sean macrumors 6502a

naeS1Sean

(Quote 2) Pennsylvania actually. That was our honeymoon. In Nassau. Five years ago. First, only, and used all of our savings to get there. Applause for your effort though. Want another go?

13. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You make a valid point.

Let me ask you . Do you adapt to the tool or buy the tool that improves your efficiency?

A "pro" is generally viewed as an individual who makes income from their trade . And pro gear is amined at these individuals . There has always been a distinction between consumer and professional goods/services. It's only recently it's become a markerting term to charge more.

Have a look at 9:39 in the video, Linus nails it, apple make nothing for pros, they have redefined it to suit their purposes

Anyway it's a markerting term and a term that makes some around here feel superior , it's just a tool

14. Bacillus, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502

Bacillus

They are fake people whose message is meant to believe
    (and the Apple Board has so much affinity with them...)

15. Regbial macrumors 6502

Regbial

Ahh I do have it, but I haven't used it. :) Thanks!

16. Bacillus, Mar 5, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502

Bacillus

Don't panic.
    Tim, Phil have disappointed their regular customers and restricted their audience to digibetes only.
    Anyone who has ever prepared a 10+ page report can only laugh about these guys.
    Speaking for their wallets has forced them into so much nonsense, they've become the clowns of the industry
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    Indeed, it breathes a "I am Tim, and you were Steve" sentiment
    "And while I can't replicate your stardom, I can dupe your ads"
    How intrinsically sad...
    --- Post Merged, Mar 5, 2017 ---
    Nice try, but the world appears to discern Pro Pro's from selfdeclared/grumpy Pro's.
    There are zillions of those, who consider Apple's $1500 upgrade of their digilliterate status a bargain they can show off in meetings (and they earn a selfiestick, though a fragile one...)
    Apple is simply too lazy/lamentary to merge iOS/MacOS, so this nameplay "solves" the inability to satisfy genuine Pro's with a phoneOS backed in bezels, casually enlarging the target audience a factor 100.
    Effectively leaving the pioneering/future to Microsoft and the Taiwanese IT giants (while AppleSheep Pro's are too busy with "Find my Airpods" to realize that)
    Apple has become the big, lazy incumbent that they declared their ideologic war to, back in 1984.

17. Tech198 macrumors G3

That 'Needing less stuff" the ad sounds like grover at the end. Not good transviliquist . but great acting.

18. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

To me, it's a combination of both. It's not everyday you find the perfect tool for your needs right out of the box and so to get what you need, so there invariably will be some compromise involved.

Case in point - I got my first iPad in 2012. After playing around with it for a while, I saw that it would offer some benefits over the windows tablet laptop my school issued me, but in order to use it effectively in the classroom, I would need to get used to the idiosyncrasies of iOS.

For me, what the iPad offered me then was an improved ability to work with PDFs (something my locked down laptop was ill-equipped to handle), an inbuilt camera for scanning and the mobility offered by AirPlay mirroring. It was also thinner and lighter than my work laptop, and felt less buggy to use.

And to master the iPad, I would have to learn to get files onto the iPad (which meant a long tedious process of converting my teaching material to PDF and uploading them to Dropbox), purchase new apps and resign myself to the fact that there were some tasks which are (were) just more inefficient on a tablet. Thankfully, I discovered a website known as "Macstories", and years of trial and error has followed thereafter, where I purchased one app after another, all to find that ever-elusive ideal workflow.

Over the years, Apple has steadily improved the capabilities of the iPad. The Apple TV gained peer to peer AirPlay (doing away with the need for a router), the iPad Pro added the Apple Pencil and split-screen, apps have improved in functionality while iOS gained better sharing features such as airdrop.

Meanwhile, extensive use of the iPad has made me far more comfortable interacting with iOS compared to macOS. Because all my files are on Dropbox, it has allowed me to work from anywhere (some colleagues even text me over the weekend for a document they forgot to copy from their school network). My workflow has more or less settled, and it has been a tiring (I have the battle scars and tons of horror stories to share) but fun journey.

So to me, the iPad is a tool like any other device. What you want to get out of it depends on how much effort you are willing to invest into making it work. For others, it's not worth it. For me, I can't imagine giving this up. Ever.

19. emm386 macrumors 6502

emm386

There are way too many things on my desk (already)...
    ... thankfully an iPad is not one of that.

Jokes aside, what is this? A sales pitch from a psychopath or an educational low-performer who sleeps through his classes?

iPad sales must not going too well for them...

20. Bacillus, Mar 5, 2017

Bacillus macrumors 6502

Bacillus

You seem the example of the next generation, who wouldn't give up their iPad multitouch experience but would benefit from a richer MacOS, expandable true multiwindow/multiscreen environment.
    You're being denied by Apple as long as it refuses to integrate that SW/HW into a new experience
    But I might be wrong (if you're comfortably playing with your TouchBar..)

21. Abazigal macrumors 603

Abazigal

My 2012 mba is still going strong and I am not in the market for a new laptop anytime soon. I am secretly hoping that by the time my MacBook kicks the bucket, I will be able to do most / all my work on my iPad. I would be comfortable with doing all the heavy lifting on my iMac at home, because I find I am actually using my MBA less and less these days.

In all fairness, there are still plenty of tasks which are infuriatingly hard to do on an iPad (such as creating google forms, but I guess that's partly on Google as well), and I can only hope that with time, they will be solved eventually.

22. Bacillus macrumors 6502

Bacillus

OK. With an iMac at home Apple serves you right, for the moment...

23. MacBH928 macrumors 68020

MacBH928

So... we no longer need the flat bed scanners? Taking a picture with the iPad is just as good?

24. Bacillus macrumors 6502

Bacillus

I wouldn't compare a 1200 dpi scan with any iPad picture but in the Apple hemisphere Pro definition, ever selfie or emoji deserves a thumbs up

25. Lolito macrumors 6502

Lolito

these are funny ads by apple, decent, finally!!