Apple Shares Video Showcasing Apple Arcade Games in 100 Seconds

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:12 AM.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today shared a new video on its YouTube channel that highlights some of the games coming to Apple Arcade in 100 seconds.

Earlier this week, Apple announced that its subscription-based Apple Arcade gaming service will launch September 19 in over 150 countries. In the United States, pricing is set at $4.99 per month, with a one-month free trial available. This price will apply to individuals or a family of up to six members via Family Sharing.

Featured games and their corresponding timestamps in the video:
    Apple Arcade will provide iPhone, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV users with access to a library of over 100 games, with no ads or additional in-app purchases. Read our Apple Arcade guide for more details and a preview of the games coming at launch.

Article Link: Apple Shares Video Showcasing Apple Arcade Games in 100 Seconds

2. chumps52 macrumors 6502

They didn't even talk about games for a full 100 seconds :(

3. kcslc macrumors member

The games that Konami and Capcom showed off at the keynote looked like garbage, in my opinion. I expect more from these companies (well, I expect nothing from Konami lately).

The other game. Don’t know the name of the company. Looked like an uninteresting poorly controlled game as well. I don’t understand gaming being pushed on a platform where there are no physical controllers.

Yes, I’m aware Apple will be supporting the DualShock 4 and Xbox One controller in iOS 13. But I doubt games will be developed optimized for these.

Hard pass. I’ll stick with my Switch for gaming on the go.

4. triton100 macrumors 6502

5. johnnyenv macrumors member

I wouldn't pay £4.99 to play any of them.
    If apple could strike a deal to play all the old 80s/90s classic games from the likes of Nintendo, Sega etc just as simple platform to play them as they were I'd absolutely pay for that.

6. kostthem macrumors newbie

Can't wait! At Apple TV (or iPad) with PS4 controller it will be a great service!

7. BGPL macrumors regular

BGPL

For $5 a month, it's not terrible. We'll see how easy it is to set up multi-player. Looks like it's made for younger kids with stuff like frogger and lego.

I'll be trying it out. :)

8. lyngo macrumors 6502a

As a dad I think that some of these games would be good and fun for our family to play for a bit. I don’t necessarily have a problem with them. If we’re looking at $5 a month for the whole family, I may consider it. Especially with having the first month available for free.

9. Bdub12 macrumors regular

I wasn't interested until I saw the sequel to Chu Chu Rocket. I'll subscribe, and cancel in a couple of months if we aren't playing the games.

It would be easy for Apple to sweeten the pot here - throw in a bunch of retro arcade and Atari games. Having some known games available on all devices, in addition to the exclusives, would make the $5/month a little easier.

10. TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

I am still scratching my head who this is for. Casual gamers want a couple of free "thumb only" games. Competitive gamers want good graphics, gameplay, known IP, twitch streaming, etc. Indie gamers want to follow a game from the start like Valves early access or Kickstarter.

The only people I can see getting this are parents who think an iPad is a substitute for parenting and don't want to spend a fortune on amassing a mobile game library, but large enough to keep little Timmy occupied at the restaurant.

11. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Pretty impressive how you reached this conclusion from a minute and a half video showcasing clips of games.

12. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

You just described 80% of parents on the planet. I see big upsides for this.

13. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

I'll stick with PC/Xbox. Gaming on a 6-7" screen just doesn't do anything for me.

14. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Exit the Gungeon (sequel to Enter the Gungeon) is going to be on the arcade. Kinda bummed I can’t just buy the game separately, because I’d totally snag it on day 1.

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Only a few games look interesting to me right now, but I know my kids will love a lot of these. I want to support this ad-free and IAP-free endeavor of gaming on the iPhone, iPad, and especially the Mac, so I will be buying in immediately. I'd pay $5/mo just to abolish IAP to the fringe. I feel like this has a lot of potential.

16. TheFluffyDuck, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:37 AM
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2019 at 7:46 AM

TheFluffyDuck macrumors 6502

...and most other things that have been written about, displayed, leaked for the last 6 months! For instance, these games are designed to work on ALL ios hardware. That's the lowest common denominator hardware. Nothing is going to push the already criminally underpowered graphics cards in the computer ranges if it can already work on an Apple TV. Where is the twitch streaming? The competitive games? The original IP? Where is any actual gaming concessions for the varied gaming communities? No where.

Apple has had over a decade of experience in being able to accumulate mobile games fast. But don't mistake that as having a pulse on on the finger of gamers. I mean this whole thing has come out of the need for a subscription in the first place as everything right now on the store is IAP garbage. They are trying to subscribe their way out of a problem of their own creation, or more correctly years of App approval ineptitude.

17. Mactendo macrumors 68000

Some games look really cute, I enjoyed it. Apple picked the right direction for this service. Actually I’m surprised they did something well this time. Maybe it’s a good sign of the new era coming.

18. PlayUltimate macrumors regular

PlayUltimate

with 1.4B devices, if only 1% of those paid for this, it would be a $70M business. not bad for a start-up.

19. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68020

ryanwarsaw

I could see this also for people that might not play games a lot but would subscribe off and on for times of boredom. Right now one game can cost $4.95 or whatever. I have bought games for that price and two weeks later I don't play them anymore.

In this case in times of boredom I might as well just sign up for a month and then cancel. It's as cheap as buying one or two games.

20. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

The games aren't confined to 6-7" screens. The games can be played on monitors and TV's just like PC and XBox games.

21. Duncan-UK macrumors regular

How about people who want to play games on a casual basis but don't want the clutter of a console.

"Gamers" will surely have dedicated PCs or consoles - but for those who aren't that interested this looks like it could be fun

22. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

One of the main features of Apple Arcade is that all of the titles will be available across all of Apple's hardware...phone screens, tablet screens, laptop screens, desktop screens, and TV screens.

23. decypher44 macrumors 6502a

decypher44

Some of the games look like fun! I doubt I’ll subscribe to the service, but I’m sure there will be plenty of people who will enjoy it.

24. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

All the games will be available on every OS Apple provides: iOS + iPadOS + tvOS + macOS.

25. eulslix macrumors 6502

SEGA Racing is definitely a big win. That’s basically a full switch title on the whole apple ecosystem. If apple gets more deals like that, they might even give Nintendo a run for its money (or even better: cooperate with them. Imagine playing the new Zelda on your iPad... one still can dream)