Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Yes, I’m aware Apple will be supporting the DualShock 4 and Xbox One controller in iOS 13. But I doubt games will be developed optimized for these.

I don't see why you think games (that are intended for the Apple TV as one of the supported platforms) won't be optimized for controllers. Xbox and PS4 controllers aren't conceptually different from what was already supported with MFi gamepads (except the lack of pressure sensitive buttons, which weren't used much anyway).

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
It would be easy for Apple to sweeten the pot here - throw in a bunch of retro arcade and Atari games. Having some known games available on all devices, in addition to the exclusives, would make the $5/month a little easier.

The reason its named Apple Arcade is because Apple is subsidizing the game development to provide original content. Ports of classic games would go to the standard App Store.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
I'm excited about this as a platform, if Apple continues to put effort behind it. Having it be "standard" for games to be playable across every device they sell (well, except for the Watch ;) ) is a pretty cool thing. And they're really the only ones who can do this well because of the coverage of their product line (phone -> tablet -> pc -> TV).

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
For $5 a month, it's not terrible. We'll see how easy it is to set up multi-player. Looks like it's made for younger kids with stuff like frogger and lego.

I'll be trying it out. :)

As a dad I think that some of these games would be good and fun for our family to play for a bit. I don’t necessarily have a problem with them. If we’re looking at $5 a month for the whole family, I may consider it. Especially with having the first month available for free.

I'm not understanding this warm reception to the price. $5 a month is a killer price compared to the prices single games are charging! I play a Word game that wants to charge me $7 a month to remove the ads, and buying virtual money in the app can cost upwards of $20.

Apple's literally giving away high-quality games at a tremendous price! I'm just not a fan of the all-or-nothing approach to subscriptions. Stop paying and none of the games will work? Bleh.
[doublepost=1568300225][/doublepost]
For the most part, it's quite embarrassing.

Gee, such constructive feedback. :rolleyes:

We've barely seen what's coming. For the game app industry, this is going to turn heads.

Labeno

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2008
The games that Konami and Capcom showed off at the keynote looked like garbage, in my opinion. I expect more from these companies (well, I expect nothing from Konami lately).

The other game. Don’t know the name of the company. Looked like an uninteresting poorly controlled game as well. I don’t understand gaming being pushed on a platform where there are no physical controllers.

Yes, I’m aware Apple will be supporting the DualShock 4 and Xbox One controller in iOS 13. But I doubt games will be developed optimized for these.

Hard pass. I’ll stick with my Switch for gaming on the go.

I agree... if Apple requires controls via Touch Screen, game developers aren't going to make console quality games. I'll also stick with Switch.

gnipgnop

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2009
Having it be "standard" for games to be playable across every device they sell (well, except for the Watch ;) ) is a pretty cool thing. And they're really the only ones who can do this well because of the coverage of their product line (phone -> tablet -> pc -> TV).

Yeah, that's a huge deal and there seem to be a lot of people that aren't aware of that. It likely will have a positive impact on games that appear outside of Apple Arcade too, since it's going to drive more awareness of gaming on ATV and macOS.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lost me at the "better than a traditional controller" part. Shut up.

Also, it's your damn service and your video, no need to rush through all the titles like that. Take 20 minutes and show them all off.

Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. :rolleyes:

Chill. We all know that Apple is just warming us up. These are teasers. and their games may not be for everyone, and that's okay.

triangletechie

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2017
NC
Seems like enough stuff to justify $5 per month, although I wish they would let you pay annually. My nephews will find these games fun.

TacoChowder

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2019
The other game. Don’t know the name of the company. Looked like an uninteresting poorly controlled game as well. I don’t understand gaming being pushed on a platform where there are no physical controllers.

Annapurna has done a LOT of bangers, I'm sure this game will be pretty neat as well.
One of the main interfaces for this platform is AppleTV. I don't have a touch TV yet so I'm hoping they make all the games controller supported :p

smilyfox

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2015
The games that Konami and Capcom showed off at the keynote looked like garbage, in my opinion. I expect more from these companies (well, I expect nothing from Konami lately).

Hard pass. I’ll stick with my Switch for gaming on the go.

They all look like garbage..

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Lost me at the "better than a traditional controller" part. Shut up.

Also, it's your damn service and your video, no need to rush through all the titles like that. Take 20 minutes and show them all off.

Someone doesn't understand "teaser".

TJ82

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2012
What the living Christ is wrong with Capcom.

"Hey guys, what's the most annoying type of game level that everyone hates?"

"Underwater levels!"

"Right, let's make an entire game of underwater levels."

[01:08] "Sayonara: Wild Hearts" by Annapurna

This does look promising though. I think games with huge gameplay hurdles as touch does, need to focus more on music and visuals and turn it into an addictive experience. Robot Unicorn type kicks. Most of the people playing this stuff will be on iPhones on the commute or whatever.

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
...and most other things that have been written about, displayed, leaked for the last 6 months! For instance, these games are designed to work on ALL ios hardware. That's the lowest common denominator hardware. Nothing is going to push the already criminally underpowered graphics cards in the computer ranges if it can already work on an Apple TV. Where is the twitch streaming? The competitive games? The original IP? Where is any actual gaming concessions for the varied gaming communities? No where.

Apple has had over a decade of experience in being able to accumulate mobile games fast. But don't mistake that as having a pulse on on the finger of gamers. I mean this whole thing has come out of the need for a subscription in the first place as everything right now on the store is IAP garbage. They are trying to subscribe their way out of a problem of their own creation, or more correctly years of App approval ineptitude.

So basically you're saying "Apple Arcade is doomed"?

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I suppose I am the target market for this and I will try it and I am pleased they haven't tried to price it high. The quality looks quite poor for now but Apple sometimes - not always - sometimes really sticks with things and improves over and over until it ends up with something good.

Longer term there needs to be a pattern established of new titles coming. One of the problems gaming on the mac had was that buying them from the app store many didn't get updates and it broke compatibility. People are much more likely to pay if they think there is on-going commitment.

They need to get some more famous titles to get the average person involved. They should find a way of getting Sega or Nintendo to take a more active role as well as appeal to older people with more retro 80s/90s games. Look at the huge sales success that has been the re-issued classic consoles like the SNES and MegaDrive.

It has been really quite a strange thing over the past 20 years to watch apple consistently ignore gaming as it grew and grew. I understand why they did and in some ways it's an imperfect fit but they are one group who really will keep buying new hardware so maybe the penny finally dropped with apple.

There was a feeling as I was watching the advert that it looked a bit SJW like, the sort of development one gets if one puts a priority on "inclusive" gaming instead of quality, and then they declared, as if it's a positive thing, that one of the games features an "all female cast". Ugh. Apple still has a long way to go to understand gamers. Still I won't quibble, happy to see them start this.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
I wouldn't pay £4.99 to play any of them.
If apple could strike a deal to play all the old 80s/90s classic games from the likes of Nintendo, Sega etc just as simple platform to play them as they were I'd absolutely pay for that.
Install a emulator

manni

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Do you guys enjoys monthly subscription better than in app purchases?

In general I don't have a problem with subscription models on condition that a) value keeps being added in new features or apps and b) they work consistently to ensure wide compatibility and that one doesn't have to always just buy the latest hardware. Adobe for example managed to get a lot of people to rent photoshop by pricing it keenly and then actually putting in lots of regular work on it. Apple will need to do the same. Will they? Who knows, some product lines Apple seems to pour their heart and soul into for years, others they seem to get bored with and leave to die.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I suppose I am the target market for this and I will try it and I am pleased they haven't tried to price it high. The quality looks quite poor for now but Apple sometimes - not always - sometimes really sticks with things and improves over and over until it ends up with something good.

Longer term there needs to be a pattern established of new titles coming. One of the problems gaming on the mac had was that buying them from the app store many didn't get updates and it broke compatibility. People are much more likely to pay if they think there is on-going commitment.

They need to get some more famous titles to get the average person involved. They should find a way of getting Sega or Nintendo to take a more active role as well as appeal to older people with more retro 80s/90s games. Look at the huge sales success that has been the re-issued classic consoles like the SNES and MegaDrive.

It has been really quite a strange thing over the past 20 years to watch apple consistently ignore gaming as it grew and grew. I understand why they did and in some ways it's an imperfect fit but they are one group who really will keep buying new hardware so maybe the penny finally dropped with apple.

There was a feeling as I was watching the advert that it looked a bit SJW like, the sort of development one gets if one puts a priority on "inclusive" gaming instead of quality, and then they declared, as if it's a positive thing, that one of the games features an "all female cast". Ugh. Apple still has a long way to go to understand gamers. Still I won't quibble, happy to see them start this.
Yeah, they probably lost the incels with this ad. Though some of them would love the all-female cast.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.