Apple Shipped an Estimated 4.5 Million iPhone XR Devices in North America in Q1 2019

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's $749 iPhone XR was the top selling smartphone in North America during the first quarter of 2019 according to new smartphone shipment data shared today by Canalys.

Apple shipped over 4.5 million iPhone XR devices during the quarter, and it made up 13 percent of total North American shipments. Samsung's Galaxy S10+ and Galaxy S10e were the other two most popular smartphones in Q1 2019, accounting for 6 percent of shipments each.

[​IMG]

Though Apple's iPhone XR was the top selling smartphone in North America during the quarter, Apple still saw a 19 percent drop in year-over-year shipments.

Apple shipped 14.6 million devices in Q1 2019 in total, compared to 17.9 million devices shipped during the first quarter of 2018. Despite the drop, Apple managed to maintain 40 percent market share in North America, one of the regions where it sees strong performance.

[​IMG]
    Samsung shipped 10.7 million devices for 29.3 percent market share, while LG shipped 4.8 million devices and Lenovo shipped 2.4 million devices. Overall North American smartphone shipments were down an estimated 18 percent during Q1 2019, totaling 36.4 million shipments.

Canalys believes that in order to better compete in 2020, Apple will need to launch devices with "radical new features" that will better appeal to consumers. Thus far, rumors suggest Apple's 2019 iPhones will be largely similar to the 2018 iPhones, but with major camera improvements that could draw in upgraders and new customers and better compete with devices like the Google Pixel with its Night Sight mode.

Article Link: Apple Shipped an Estimated 4.5 Million iPhone XR Devices in North America in Q1 2019

2. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Wow. 42% growth. Never even seen a Lenovo phone, on the net or otherwise.

3. realtuner macrumors 65816

realtuner

What an utterly stupid chart.

So they can give us numbers for the XR, S10+ and S10e, but they somehow don’t know the numbers for the XS, XS Max, S10, S9, iPhone 8 or any other models.

What’s the point?

4. Akrapovic macrumors 6502

Akrapovic

The most surprising thing here for me was LGs market share being 13%. I have literally no idea what phones they sell. If you asked me to name Android phones I'd say Samsung, Huawei, Pixel and Nokia. I don't really know what LGs range is at all.

5. ztw2002 macrumors regular

6. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

A 19% decline in Apple’s most popular market should alarm Cook & Co. So it isn’t only China were things get rough. But it doesn’t surprise me either seen the lack of innovation coming from Apple compared to competitors.

Let’s see what WWDC 2019 will have to offer...

7. yAak macrumors member

yAak

Yeah, because it's the "radical new features" that makes the XR sell so well!

...Or maybe it's the slightly-lower-than-insane price tag? =P

8. 69Mustang, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019

69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Motorola. Lenovo owns Motorola. They have 5 models:
    Moto One, Moto Z, Moto X, Moto G, and Moto E. Solid mid-tier phones.

9. Art Mark macrumors regular

Art Mark

Decent value for sure. And 'radical new features' are BS. At this point, it's a device that's well known and depended on.
    I don't expect it to wash my car and make dinner. The next steps in smartphones will be evolutionary. I don't rush out to buy them not because I don't want a new one, but because what I have works very well indeed. Do cars need 'revolutionary new things' to make people buy a new car? Incremental steps.

10. calzon65, May 9, 2019

calzon65 macrumors 6502a

calzon65

Apple wants to play the "high end" game with $1,000 iPhones … they need an iPhone that appeals to the middle market.

11. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Paywall is the point. These free glimpses are nothing but marketing teases to get investor types to subscribe to their services. Show detail for the top 3 and if you want more detail you pay for it. It's the same for IDC, Gartner, and the rest of the market intelligence firms. Blogs like the teases because they know the forum members get riled up when their favorite company is leading, trailing, or in middle of the pack.

12. ThunderSkunk, May 9, 2019

ThunderSkunk macrumors 68030

ThunderSkunk

One of my best friends has only ever bought LG phones since they started making them. He talks about them by model name as if everyone he encounters also follows phone models like sports teams and is at all familiar with what he's talking about, which they aren't. He's a network engineer.

He still uses a Yahoo mail account. ...which he paid/pays for. Imagine it, an IT professional, paying for a yahoo mail account... And he still listens to the cheesy music we listened to in high school. He has a beautiful doctor wife and 4 great kids. He owns nothing that would be considered a quality product, and is completely unable to understand the difference between a lovingly restored century old handmade wooden canoe and a rubber tupperware boat stamped out of a mold in china yesterday. He lives like John Belushi. None of us who've known him his entire life know what to make of any of these things.

You asked who's buying LG phones, well, that's the one I know.

13. darknite38 macrumors regular

What a garbage visual chart. Apple + Samsung combined for a total of 25.3 million units out of the total 36.4 million units which is 69.5% of total phones yet the graph makes it look like Apple sold a lot less phones since it lumps the XR as 13% of total sales and every other single iPhone and other Samsung phone that isn't the S10+ or S10e combines with the rest of the pack that is LG, Lenovo, TCL, and others, with Others

14. BootsWalking, May 9, 2019

BootsWalking macrumors 65816

Hopefully with these sales results Apple will realize they need to return to the value market, esp if they want to broaden their user base for their services growth ambitions. Google has already realized this with the release of their Pixel 3a, which returns them to the value market they once participated in with their Nexus phones. The era of growth from $1k+ flagships is over.

15. firewood macrumors 604

The mobile market as a whole was down 18%, so Apple only did 1% worse. The only big winner against the down market was Lenovo, whose main innovation was keeping prices way down. That's Apple missing innovation (unless you consider the iPhone SE close-out pricing an innovation).

16. gsurf123 macrumors regular

None of their research numbers mean anything as no one except Apple has ever been correct before. The fake numbers control markets as people actually believe them even when proven wrong.

17. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Ok? Define middle market? Isn’t the iPhone XR $750 price Similar to what the iPhone 8 was around? (Not to mention, The $250 price difference between the XR and XS still includes a lot of the same features for the XR). The only other entry-level phone they had was the SE starting at $400, but if the rumors prove to be true, they’re releasing another iPhone next year that’s slated to be around $500-$600 in a 4.7 inch variant.

18. gsurf123 macrumors regular

Race to the bottom is not the answer. If all you are worried about is marketshare then Apple is not for you. Apple could control nearly the entire market if they sold $300 phones or as the other vendors do (give their phones away). Doing so would not help the bottom line and would impact R&D.

19. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

You forget Samsung who’s also winning... it’s concerning Apple is losing marketshare almost everywhere. The more because Apple’s marketshare isn't that big to begin with. Ultimately it will translate into a second class platform to invest in for developers, etc.

20. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Apple's iPhone line is muddled at the moment. Largely because the current models are so expensive, they have to sell old models to make them more affordable (but only relatively).

The price has gone up massively, even accounting for inflation, but the value to customers has not matched that.

I don't expect Apple to compete at the bottom end, but they are starting too far into the upper end.

21. nouveau_redneck macrumors 6502a

nouveau_redneck

More notches, and bigger camera bumps. At least the 2019 iPhones will have the best OS on the market, while the hardware is lacking.
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2019 ---
    I think that day will come sooner or later. As they increase their sales from services, they need devices in the market.

22. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

It's not a race to the bottom - it's a race to the middle. That's where all the unit volume is, which is critical for a company like Apple looking to expand their services revenue.

23. HJM.NL macrumors 68020

HJM.NL

I unfortunately won’t call iOS the best operating system on the market anymore. Unless WWDC will blow us away, I’m afraid it will only go downhill from now... hope I’m wrong.

24. NickName99 macrumors 6502

NickName99

The iPhone XR checks so many boxes: price, battery life, FaceID, performance, size... If they add a second lens this year, I might even upgrade my iPhone X to one.

25. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

To be fair, it only looks that way if you don't pay attention in the entirety. The cover page and chart clearly indicate "The top 3 smartphones make up 25% of the..." Right below that a slightly more detailed breakdown indicates Apple sold 40% of the phones. Pretty sure all of us figured that out.