Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sofila

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2006
Ramtop Mountains
One of my best friends has only ever bought LG phones since they started making them. He talks about them by model name as if everyone he encounters also follows phone models like sports teams and is at all familiar with what he's talking about, which they aren't. He's a network engineer.

He still uses a Yahoo mail account. ...which he paid/pays for. Imagine it, an IT professional, paying for a yahoo mail account... And he still listens to the cheesy music we listened to in high school. He has a beautiful doctor wife and 4 great kids. He owns nothing that would be considered a quality product, and is completely unable to understand the difference between a lovingly restored century old handmade wooden canoe and a rubber tupperware boat stamped out of a mold in china yesterday. He lives like John Belushi. None of us who've known him his entire life know what to make of any of these things.

You asked who's buying LG phones, well, that's the one I know.
Basically happy people, it seems

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
If you choose to believe the numbers, the iPhone's negative annual growth in NA is very telling, imo.

But, I always considered the use of market share as a metric was pointless to the user. I think that Apple products had much better HW and SW quality when Apple's products hardly had any market share.

And he still listens to the music we listened to in high school.

I still listen to the music that I listened to when I was in high school. Why is that strange?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
None of their research numbers mean anything as no one except Apple has ever been correct before. The fake numbers control markets as people actually believe them even when proven wrong.

‘Slice’ is another analyst company that reports figures that they project, which usually has been off every year since Apple stopped reporting their numbers recently. Wouldn’t take this report anymore seriously than any other mudslinging analyst that tries to under-project iPhone sales.

Reactions: FightTheFuture

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
About as reliable as any other nonsense guess report.

All I care about is official data. Apple needs to improve in China and we saw a bit of that last quarter.

Next.

fourthtunz

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2002
Maine
If you choose to believe the numbers, the iPhone's negative annual growth in NA is very telling, imo.

But, I always considered the use of market share as a metric was pointless to the user. I think that Apple products had much better HW and SW quality when Apple's products hardly had any market share.

I still listen to the music that I listened to when I was in high school. Why is that strange?
You may listen to that but hopefully other stuff too?

Reactions: Wide opeN

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Paywall is the point. These free glimpses are nothing but marketing teases to get investor types to subscribe to their services. Show detail for the top 3 and if you want more detail you pay for it. It's the same for IDC, Gartner, and the rest of the market intelligence firms. Blogs like the teases because they know the forum members get riled up when their favorite company is leading, trailing, or in middle of the pack.

Is anyone stupid enough to pay for these reports? Or worse, stupid enough to actually invest money based on them?

rizzo41999

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2009
MA
Apple wants to play the "high end" game with $1,000 iPhones … they need an iPhone that appeals to the middle market.
I hear ya. Though I think they should stick with only two models. The high end models only serve to maintain the profit margin as the smartphone market cools.

Reactions: Wide opeN

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
What an utterly stupid chart.

So they can give us numbers for the XR, S10+ and S10e, but they somehow don’t know the numbers for the XS, XS Max, S10, S9, iPhone 8 or any other models.

What’s the point?
They gave the numbers for market leaders. Do you want the numbers for all 1000 available smartphone models? They probably have them but you'd have to pay them.
[doublepost=1557435805][/doublepost]
Is anyone stupid enough to pay for these reports? Or worse, stupid enough to actually invest money based on them?
Apparently, the answer is "yes". Otherwise these companies would go bankrupt. Do you prefer investing without any research?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You forget Samsung who’s also winning... it’s concerning Apple is losing marketshare almost everywhere. The more because Apple’s marketshare isn't that big to begin with. Ultimately it will translate into a second class platform to invest in for developers, etc.
The dollars follow iOS. I don’t think it’s concerning as Apple wants to sell less phones and make up the revenue with subscriptions.

But that’s my opinion only. YMMV.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
They're all fairly successful companies so I'g guess there are people who use these types of reports... in addition to a lot of other information. Evaluated as a stand alone data point, sure, the reports look dumb. Evaluated as a part of an information system? Who knows. Also remember, we're only privy to marketing material outside of the paywall.

Either way these types of reports serve two different audiences. Forum fodder for us and teasers for investors. They work fantastically as forum fodder. I can't judge their efficacy as teasers for investors.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
Apple has not announced any new features that would make me want to turn my X in for something else.. plain and simple. If a new camera along with a slightly faster phone is what we are going to get for a 2019 device, I’ll hang onto the X.

Reactions: GuruZac

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Apparently, the answer is "yes". Otherwise these companies would go bankrupt. Do you prefer investing without any research?
If you used IDC numbers as a data point your investment could have lost money. So research is valuable, but you have to be careful with guesstimates.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
They gave the numbers for market leaders. Do you want the numbers for all 1000 available smartphone models? They probably have them but you'd have to pay them.
I don't recall asking for sales numbers for 1,000 phones. Only the latest iPhone and Samsung models.

They probably have them? When nobody is actually reporting them? So they're guessing. I can guess too, and don't need to pay some analyst money to get information that's very likely no more accurate.

They're all fairly successful companies so I'g guess there are people who use these types of reports...
Logical fallacy - causation vs correlation. Just because these companies are successful has no bearing on whether these particular reports are accurate.

The most recent estimates for iPhone sales from the top "analysts" were 36.4 million from IDC, 40.2 million from Canalys and 43.8 million from IHS. That's quite the discrepancy from so-called "experts". Hell, I could take Apple ASP and divide that into their revenue (which Apple still reports) and come up with a figure that's just as accurate as any of these.

Then we have one of the most famous reports (from IDC) that predicted (based on their own data, BTW) that Windows Phone would overtake iOS and become the 2nd most popular OS behind Android. I wonder how many people bet their money on THAT advice.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Ultimately it will translate into a second class platform to invest in for developers, etc.
Like I mentioned earlier, I think that Apple's quality in HW and SW was much better when Apple's market share was tiny.

But, you bring up a good point about developers' investment in devices with smaller market share. It could be a turd of a platform, but if that is what everyone is using, developers will invest in it (Windows from the 90's and 2000's comes to mind).

You may listen to that but hopefully other stuff too?
Yeah, some other stuff, I graduated in the 90's, and listen mostly 70's-2000's. Pretty much anything in the last decade, and most stuff that lacks real musical instruments.

And, like for everyone, it's still the best music around. No matter if you were born in 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's or 90's
You are probably correct about this.

Although, I read this study about tracking trends in popular music, and it scientifically proves that music in the last two decades is getting worse....

Basically saying that the music today is getting louder, using less pitch and cords, and becoming less unique.

And of course there is this:

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
You forget Samsung who’s also winning... it’s concerning Apple is losing marketshare almost everywhere. The more because Apple’s marketshare isn't that big to begin with. Ultimately it will translate into a second class platform to invest in for developers, etc.

Yeah, not going to happen. Eric Schmidt predicted that back in Dec 2011 and it STILL hasn't come true. The idea that developers go for market share is a myth. They go where the money is. And 1 billion iOS devices are far more valuable than umpteen billions of $50 Android devices where owners never spend money. This is why the average iOS user generates 4X the revenue in The App Store as the average Android user does for Google Play.

Samsung is winning? Is that why Apples iPhone revenues were $31 billion and Samsung's ENTIRE mobile division (smartphones, feature phones, tablets and other mobile devices) only hit $23 billion? Or why Samsung operating profit was down a whopping 60% last quarter? Is that what you call "winning"?

pradeepbabloo

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2016
The most surprising thing here for me was LGs market share being 13%. I have literally no idea what phones they sell. If you asked me to name Android phones I'd say Samsung, Huawei, Pixel and Nokia. I don't really know what LGs range is at all.
Heard about Motorola phones? Moto g5, etc.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
Logical fallacy - causation vs correlation. Just because these companies are successful has no bearing on whether these particular reports are accurate.
Is it my logical fallacy or your misinterpreting what I wrote? I'm gonna go with misinterpretation because I said nothing about the accuracy of the reports.

You asked if anyone was stupid enough to pay for the reports. I said since they're fairly successful companies, someone one must be buying and using the reports. I neither said nor implied anything about the reports being accurate. I have no idea how you reached that conclusion from what I wrote.

Reactions: ROGmaster

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
The price has gone up massively, even accounting for inflation, but the value to customers has not matched that.

I don't expect Apple to compete at the bottom end, but they are starting too far into the upper end.
This is intentional though. Apple put their stake in the ground with the iPhone X and now they own the upper end. Essentially the same with Macs. It might seem to backfire with negativity toward a $1000 iPhone, but the XR experiment seems to be working.

realtuner

Suspended
Mar 8, 2019
Canada
Is it my logical fallacy or your misinterpreting what I wrote? I'm gonna go with misinterpretation because I said nothing about the accuracy of the reports.

You asked if anyone was stupid enough to pay for the reports. I said since they're fairly successful companies, someone one must be buying and using the reports. I neither said nor implied anything about the reports being accurate. I have no idea how you reached that conclusion from what I wrote.

How arrogant to assume you're the only person I was talking to - especially since I quoted two similar responses (one of which was yours).

Nonetheless, your comment is still a causation vs correlation fallacy. These companies have numerous sources of revenue and services they provide. You can't claim their success is a result of some people buying/using these reports. Unless you have some internal numbers that discloses all their sources of revenue so you can attribute their success to these reports.

falainber

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2016
Wild West
I don't recall asking for sales numbers for 1,000 phones. Only the latest iPhone and Samsung models.

They probably have them? When nobody is actually reporting them? So they're guessing. I can guess too, and don't need to pay some analyst money to get information that's very likely no more accurate.

The most recent estimates for iPhone sales from the top "analysts" were 36.4 million from IDC, 40.2 million from Canalys and 43.8 million from IHS. That's quite the discrepancy from so-called "experts". Hell, I could take Apple ASP and divide that into their revenue (which Apple still reports) and come up with a figure that's just as accurate as any of these.

Then we have one of the most famous reports (from IDC) that predicted (based on their own data, BTW) that Windows Phone would overtake iOS and become the 2nd most popular OS behind Android. I wonder how many people bet their money on THAT advice.
You seem to believe that a company can provide inaccurate reports and be successful. Logical fallacy is all yours. You are also confusing reports about the actual sales with projections. In any case, you have nothing to refute these reports, you just don't like them. Well, sucks for you.

Reactions: LordVic

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
You seem to believe that a company can provide inaccurate reports and be successful. Logical fallacy is all yours. You are also confusing reports about the actual sales with projections. In any case, you have nothing to refute these reports, you just don't like them. Well, sucks for you.
It’s tough, impossible to refute opinions.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
How arrogant to assume you're the only person I was talking to - especially since I quoted two similar responses (one of which was yours).

Nonetheless, your comment is still a causation vs correlation fallacy. These companies have numerous sources of revenue and services they provide. You can't claim their success is a result of some people buying/using these reports. Unless you have some internal numbers that discloses all their sources of revenue so you can attribute their success to these reports.
Arrogant? If you were talking to someone else about accuracy, you should have directed the comment to them, and not me. I only responded to your response to me. You simply misinterpreted what you read. I said nothing about accuracy. No big deal.

I guessed they were successful and the sales of their reports had something to do with it. Which is exactly what I said, and exactly what you quoted. I don't need inside information to make a guess.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This is intentional though. Apple put their stake in the ground with the iPhone X and now they own the upper end. Essentially the same with Macs. It might seem to backfire with negativity toward a $1000 iPhone, but the XR experiment seems to be working.

Indeed. If consumers only really knew how much the XR actually offers in comparison to the XS, they’re almost identical aside from 3D Touch, the telephoto lens and OLED panel. What consumers are really choosing when they purchased the XR, is the color, storage and they see the price point along with the same form factor as the XS. The XR long-term, will be in way more successful than the XS ever will be alone just because of the price point.

Reactions: GuruZac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.