Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple started shipping Final Cut Studio 2 today according to several reader reports.

Apple announced of Final Cut Studio 2 at NAB in April. The new bundle incorporates Final Cut Pro 6, Motion 3, Soundtrack Pro 2, Compressor 3, DVD Studio Pro 4.2, and Color.

Apple ProRes 422 format was introduced with Final Cut Studio 2, which is a new post-production format which claims "uncompressed HD quality at SD file sizes." Apple previously published a white paper (pdf) detailing the new format.

t-Dog

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2007
Final Cut Studio 2

This is GREAT! News I can't wait to get my copy. I ordered it when it first came out.

"How many people will get this upgrade?"

All if they are smart!

Can't wait!

Alpinism

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2005
for the new motion and color alone, it is worth the price of admission. No more magic bullet for CC, and the 3D space of motion is so sweet.

Now Apple, just go back and release new MP and MBP already.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I wish I could afford it.

$1300 is a lot for a college student, and the academic pricing is crap because there's no upgrades.

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Sweet, torrent sites in a week! Just kidding, I have FCS1, so the upgrade won't hurt too much.

photomaniac

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2005
God I hope they are shipping the upgrade too! ...because their online store states 3-5 days for it brand new; and 2-3 weeks for the upgrade!

I CAN'T WAIT! This the seriously the best upgrade that Final Cut has EVER delivered! "Color", which is included in Final Cut was originally a $25,000 2K color grading program made by Silicon Color (called Final Touch)... and now it's FREE in the new Final Cut Studio 2! Unreal! ...hard for me to sleep at night waiting for my upgrade to arrive! :)

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
i can't wait for this.

of course, mine will wing it's way to me faster once i get round to ordering the damn thing :rolleyes:

amac4me

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
Great news. Glad to see Apple ship this as AI was reporting that it was going to be delayed.

torero

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2005
ProRes 422

Since I won't be getting the upgrade anytime soon, could someone post some screenshots of the new ProRes codec vs. DVCPro HD and Uncompressed. This could be yet another revolution from apple to the video world... or am I being to optimistic?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Since I won't be getting the upgrade anytime soon, could someone post some screenshots of the new ProRes codec vs. DVCPro HD and Uncompressed. This could be yet another revolution from apple to the video world... or am I being to optimistic?

I'm sure there will be lots of comparisons once FC2 gets out into the wild. Although since the upgrade version isn't shipping until well after the full version it might take longer to get the comparisons as current owners have to wait longer. I don't see how ProRes would be revolutionary from an industry stand point though. Apple's been a bit slow to the boat in this regard, but it makes sense that they've kept 3rd party solutions (like Cineform and BitJazz) at arms length since they were producing a solution in house.

Lethal

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
Tiger Mountain - WA State
I wish I could afford it.

$1300 is a lot for a college student, and the academic pricing is crap because there's no upgrades.

I have not checked academic, but I the full regular price is 1295.00. It MUST be cheaper than that. Seems it was about half for FCS1. Regular upgrade is $500!

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I have not checked academic, but I the full regular price is 1295.00. It MUST be cheaper than that. Seems it was about half for FCS1. Regular upgrade is $500!

$1300 is full retail.

Acadamic is $699, but then when FCS3 comes out, I'd have to pay another $699. Not sure what I want to do..

bigbossbmb

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2004
Pasadena/Hollywood
Although since the upgrade version isn't shipping until well after the full version it might take longer to get the comparisons as current owners have to wait longer.

It would've been nice if Apple had shipped the upgrades first and been nice to the loyal FCP upgraders...

hopefully it won't be too long, I want to start playing with it.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Apple's White Paper is an interesting read. I thought it was a bit strange that the big feature that Apple touts over and over again is that its new codec will allow users to stick with slower hard drives.

If people can spend $1300 on a piece of editing software, I would also expect that they'd be able to afford good hardware. If you're working off of a new 8-core MacPro, the setup alone would come to over $7000. And MacPros come ready to configure a RAID array, just the thing the White Paper says you don't need. The White Paper seems to be a misguided sales pitch.

I'm glad Apple has improved its native codec. But I wonder whether those who purchase FCS2 are that strapped for cash or for hardware.

laidbackliam

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2006
Apple's White Paper is an interesting read. I thought it was a bit strange that the big feature that Apple touts over and over again is that its new codec will allow users to stick with slower hard drives.

If people can spend $1300 on a piece of editing software, I would also expect that they'd be able to afford good hardware. If you're working off of a new 8-core MacPro, the setup alone would come to over $7000. And MacPros come ready to configure a RAID array, just the thing the White Paper says you don't need. The White Paper seems to be a misguided sales pitch.

I'm glad Apple has improved its native codec. But I wonder whether those who purchase FCS2 are that strapped for cash or for hardware.

i think that is so you can do this stuff on a laptop. no reason to use the new format if you have the raid setup and the storage space. it also means you'll be able to use it on older hardware, say a g4 with the breakout box attached?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.