Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
I was just going to say the same thing. People typically haven't had to think about this until Apple Silicon came along. I know some have found out the hard way that their M1/M2 Mac only supported one external display (or two displays for the Mac mini).

I don't need a super powerful Mac as most of my work is done through a VDI or online. I want a MacBook with a large screen, so the 15" MBA seems perfect for me in terms of power...but it's not. I need to run two external displays in addition to the built-in one, which the MBA (M2) isn't capable of. The 13" MBP (M1/M2) isn't capable either. Weird they call that one a MacBook Pro.

Luckily I know I need a MacBook with at least a Pro chip; but other than that, I would not be able to tell you how many displays each of the chips support without doing more research.

Is this an actual hardware limitation, or an artificial limitation? I know there are "hacks" to get around it, so it seems artificial. I wonder if the same limitations will also apply to the upcoming M3, or if the standard M3 might be able to support more displays.
Agreed. It appears to be an artificial limitation, since both the M1 and M2 have the GPU power and I/O to support more than two displays. When the M1 was released with support for only two displays, folks were wondering if this was a temporary issue that resulted from it being a first-gen product. But the fact that the M2 is similarly restricted strongly indicates it's deliberate. Apple is probably nerfing the Mx to maintain product differentiation vs. the Mx Pro.
The M3 just address that next year.
That would be great, but there's no evidence to indicate that's going to be the case.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
I am so thrilled with getting this article!

I have wanted to see something like this for a while now. Particularly as I am ready to study which new MacBook to purchase. In Q1 2024, I will pull the trigger and move from my Intel MBP-15 to a MacBook with an Apple chip.

At present, I am studying the features / benefits of a loaded MBA-15 or a loaded MBP-16. I don't buy based on my use-case needs. I simply buy maxed-out machines to ensure that they will last me 5 to 8 years without issues... as my current Intel-MBP has done.

So thanks MacRumors for this review.

Actually, what I would like to have (for iPhones and for MacBooks) is a review of charging cycles for the batteries in these products. How many charging cycles per month and per year are suggested for avg battery wear? How many charging cycles beyond the avg in a month or year will begin speeded and abnormal battery degradation? And does Apple M-chip tech extend or reduce or in any other way impact battery charge cycles?
IMO numbers for batteries is mostly useless, because every user is different, but mostly because MBPs have just worked for years now. But that is just my $0.02.

banfiz

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2017
London, England
You Focused on the M series of Apple Silicon and that is fine.
It would be good to have insight into the rest of the silicon Apple makes as they also have a bearing on purchases.
How about the T and U series and how they have progressed in Macs?
And how about the M Series coprocessors?

Then branch out to H, R, S T and W series for tother devices,

Reactions: aloyouis

enb141

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Aside from Max sounding like the plural of Mac, the naming actually makes sense.

At this point I'd say if you can get a still brand new M1 get it. What Apple has always needed, many think, is an affordable entry computer that is still powerful enough to justify the premium. They finally have that.

Until a big jump like external graphics support, unless you need more memory than the M1 can support it should be fine for anyone who doesn’t know they need more.
The problem with M1 is not performance, the problem is that apple will discontinue updates for M1 sooner than M2.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Crazy how fast we've switched to Apple Silicon as opposed to the switch from PowerPC to Intel.

Really ?

Intel Macs were introduced throughout 2006, no PPC was on sale in 2007. For AS it took 2.5 years.
Snow Leopard (axing support for all PPCs) was released in 2009 just 3 years after the last PPC was discontinued and only 4 years after the last new PPC models were introduced.

Lots of SW relied on Rosseta for quite a while just as it is today.

What I do think is that the transition was planned in advance in more detail, but was also 100% relying on in house development making it easier and harder at the same time.

Reactions: HVDynamo

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
Over this year have moved over to M1 Mini and M1 MB Air and am very satisfied as user. Several things stand out. 1 is cooling - older mini, a late 2014 Intel dual core ran so hot (regularly in 170ºF - 180ºF range) I had to replace two fans - also DIY installed 2TB SSD (that added to heat). M1 Mini is steady at 95ºF - 105ºF range even doing some rendering in FCX. Mini is so way faster than the ancient Intel and with a dock (a cheap-o that slabs under the Mini box) and running two (not mirrored) monitors and 3 HDs, an SD Card in dock slot, a USB stick, it's great - (I know, in the "M Games" world a real slow jalopy). M1 MB Air 16GB memory is perfect - stays cool, very light, handy. As far is "slower - oh horrors" wifi supported, try just going Ethernet and that issue goes away. I'm a happy puppy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Allen_Wentz

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I was just going to say the same thing. People typically haven't had to think about this until Apple Silicon came along. I know some have found out the hard way that their M1/M2 Mac only supported one external display (or two displays for the Mac mini).

I don't need a super powerful Mac as most of my work is done through a VDI or online. I want a MacBook with a large screen, so the 15" MBA seems perfect for me in terms of power...but it's not. I need to run two external displays in addition to the built-in one, which the MBA (M2) isn't capable of. The 13" MBP (M1/M2) isn't capable either. Weird they call that one a MacBook Pro.

Luckily I know I need a MacBook with at least a Pro chip; but other than that, I would not be able to tell you how many displays each of the chips support without doing more research.

Is this an actual hardware limitation, or an artificial limitation? I know there are "hacks" to get around it, so it seems artificial. I wonder if the same limitations will also apply to the upcoming M3, or if the standard M3 might be able to support more displays.
The other limitation Apple has imposed on multi-monitors is that you can't use multiple monitors that are daisy-chained with DisplayPort. Apparently, you can only daisy-chain over thunderbolt, so now you need expensive thunderbolt monitors instead. I've got really nice Dell monitors that support MST (they have DP in and DP out) and when I try to daisy-chain them, my MBP16 sees just one monitor, and the 2nd monitor in the chain is just a mirror of the first.

Windows handles this without a problem. Being able to daisy-chain uses less ports on the Mac (already port-limited) and it should be supported on Macs. Why isn't it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Philip_S

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
The problem with M1 is not performance, the problem is that apple will discontinue updates for M1 sooner than M2.

True and that’s really the problem with the last Intel models as well. But I hope Apple won’t be quite so aggressive at dropping support for those. Intel has another year, two at absolute most. I would hope the M1 is supported for at least another 4-5. There’s no reason not to really.

They could take the iPhone approach and keep updating it but removing some fancy new features. Hardware-wise it’s so similar to the M2 it would be simply forcing upgrades to prop up sales driving them to cut it off much sooner than the M2.

Reactions: HVDynamo

Churchman

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
True and that’s really the problem with the last Intel models as well. But I hope Apple won’t be quite so aggressive at dropping support for those. Intel has another year, two at absolute most. I would hope the M1 is supported for at least another 4-5. There’s no reason not to really.

They could take the iPhone approach and keep updating it but removing some fancy new features. Hardware-wise it’s so similar to the M2 it would be simply forcing upgrades to prop up sales driving them to cut it off much sooner than the M2.
“ True and that’s really the problem with the last Intel models as well. But I hope Apple won’t be quite so aggressive at dropping support for those. Intel has another year, two at absolute most. “.

This is exactly my thought about my Intel MBP. The laptop still flies for what I need. But Apple has stopped providing OS support and updates. That is what causes issues for me. No issues before Apple stopped the updates.

So I am forced by Apple to get new hardware. Not a complaint. I want the new. I was going to get the new anyway. I just wanted to get the new on my cycle, not on Apple’s cycle.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
IMO numbers for batteries is mostly useless, because every user is different, but mostly because MBPs have just worked for years now. But that is just my $0.02.
Over this year have moved over to M1 Mini and M1 MB Air and am very satisfied as user. Several things stand out. 1 is cooling - older mini, a late 2014 Intel dual core ran so hot (regularly in 170ºF - 180ºF range) I had to replace two fans - also DIY installed 2TB SSD (that added to heat). M1 Mini is steady at 95ºF - 105ºF range even doing some rendering in FCX. Mini is so way faster than the ancient Intel and with a dock (a cheap-o that slabs under the Mini box) and running two (not mirrored) monitors and 3 HDs, an SD Card in dock slot, a USB stick, it's great - (I know, in the "M Games" world a real slow jalopy). M1 MB Air 16GB memory is perfect - stay cool, very light, handy. As far is "slower - oh horrors" wifi supported, try just going Ethernet and that issue goes away. I'm a happy puppy.
IMO Apple's SoC hit an immediate home run. I waited for M2 MBPs, but have similar 100% favorable experiences with the new M-series. I am very curious to see how Apple architects the Mac Pro with the M3 chips (even though MP competence already far exceeds my personal needs).

Last edited:

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
And they're all outdated because they're not the M3.
Wouldn't go so far to call M1 and M2 outdated 😂
It for sure depends on specs, but they will be good for quite a while and some years.
It's always something new in the horizon, so buy what you need NOW, with some future planning, if you don't need it now, wait.

I'm looking forward to the M3 MacBook Air's though that we will hear about at the end of the year, to be released somewhere in 2024.

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
“ True and that’s really the problem with the last Intel models as well. But I hope Apple won’t be quite so aggressive at dropping support for those. Intel has another year, two at absolute most. “.

This is exactly my thought about my Intel MBP. The laptop still flies for what I need. But Apple has stopped providing OS support and updates. That is what causes issues for me. No issues before Apple stopped the updates.

So I am forced by Apple to get new hardware. Not a complaint. I want the new. I was going to get the new anyway. I just wanted to get the new on my cycle, not on Apple’s cycle.
Just curious. What do you mean by "Apple has stopped providing OS support and updates." ? Apple still answers my call if I have an issue with my still fully operable (but limited by only 16 GB RAM) 2016 MBP. And although I cannot upgrade the OS past Mojave it still gets updates.

Clearly a huge flaw in Apple's tech support is that they train the lowest level phone people to force-think primarily about having the absolute latest OS version on board, which is wrong, rude to users and frequently a huge waste of time. And it intentionally trains the low level Apple support folks not to think.

Last edited:

kinless

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2003
Tustin, California
I have wanted to see something like this for a while now. Particularly as I am ready to study which new MacBook to purchase. In Q1 2024, I will pull the trigger and move from my Intel MBP-15 to a MacBook with an Apple chip.

Same. I’ve been nursing a 2012 MBP (the last one with a CD drive in it) until the M3 MacBook Pros arrive, I would assume early ‘24. Trackpad doesn’t work anymore and the thing gets super hot under just moderate use (I suspect Microsoft Teams), but I’ve held out this long, I can be patient.

Remember Apple can replace the battery, it’ll just set you back $200. But if you follow standard charging practices, it should last a good 3-5 years until it hits 80% capacity.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
And yet the base single core performance of the M2 matches the A16 instead of the A15.
That doesn't mean anything. M2 still uses the same family of cores that A15 uses while A16 uses entirely different ones (but likely similar in design).

Also, you do know that there are three different variants of A15 out there (between iPhone 13/13 mini, iPhone 13 Pro/Pro Max and iPhone 14/14 Plus, and Sixth Generation iPad mini), right?
One other important reason folks might need a Max, even if they don't benefit from the additional GPU cores, is if they need more than the Pro's maximum 32 GB RAM.

Indeed, even if you're doing single-threaded scientific computing, you'd need to upgrade further still, to the Ultra, if you need more than the 96 GB the Max provides.

Unfortunately, the variation in RAM constraints wasn't mentioned in the article.

Good call; going to edit my comment to include that. For some reason, RAM slipped my mind when writing that comment initially.

Churchman

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Same. I’ve been nursing a 2012 MBP (the last one with a CD drive in it) until the M3 MacBook Pros arrive, I would assume early ‘24. Trackpad doesn’t work anymore and the thing gets super hot under just moderate use (I suspect Microsoft Teams), but I’ve held out this long, I can be patient.

Remember Apple can replace the battery, it’ll just set you back $200. But if you follow standard charging practices, it should last a good 3-5 years until it hits 80% capacity.
Mine is a December 2013 MBP15. (Ordered and arrived in December 2013.). Apple obsoleted my machine in maybe 2019 or 2020. And if I recall, the last OS update I could download was earlier this year I think.

With normal, easy use (email and office suite stuff), my battery will go all day still. If I have to do big graphics work with many apps running and many tabs / windows open, moving big files from site to site, my battery will quickly show its age.

Not too bothered by the battery. It’s not bad yet. But good to know about the $200 replacement fee. Thanks!

I am concerned about the heat. My MBP used to remain nice and cool and silent 100% of the time. Since 2021, certain activity that was easy for it and caused no heat before, will now cause it to spin up the fan to high as it gets to those super hot nuclear temps. Honestly I think the code in some software now intentionally directs the chips to throttle, heat up and slow down processes to convince people it’s time for a replacement. My MBP did not start using the fan at all until 2021. Truly, the 1st time the fan spun up, it shocked me because I forgot that my MBP actually had a fan - I had not ever heard it run before. I thought something was broken.

But I have gotten 10 years out of it. I am ok to get a new one. This one will become the unit that powers my home theater. All good.

Churchman

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2022
Just curious. What do you mean by "Apple has stopped providing OS support and updates." ? Apple still answers my call if I have an issue with my still fully operable (but limited by only 16 GB RAM) 2016 MBP. And although I cannot upgrade the OS past Mojave it still gets updates.

Clearly a huge flaw in Apple's tech support is that they train the lowest level phone people to force-think primarily about having the absolute latest OS version on board, which is wrong, rude to users and frequently a huge waste of time. And it intentionally trains the low level Apple support folks not to think.
Thanks. See my reply to Kinless above.

I have been buying Apple products for 30 years. I used to call Apple Tech Support a lot 30 years ago. Apple TS is really not on my radar now. The last time I called Apple TS was in Feb 2023 for my iPhone 13mini Magsafe charger that was broken right out of the package. Prior to that, I had not called Apple TS since I had a PowerPC notebook.

My OS updates and support comment is about when Apple announces they are obsoleting a product and that new Apple OS downloads, security updates, and software patches will no longer be made available for XYZ model laptops produced from XYZ year or earlier. When Apple says that I will not be able to download stuff now, I just say OK. I've never tried to do it anyway. I will give it a shot and see what happens. If I get one more squeeze out of it, Great! My 10 year old MBP will get me to next January or February without issue. I will replace it then, and be really excited to get the new Apple goodness! Thanks!

DailySlow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2015
NOVA
IMO Apple's SoC hit an immediate home run. I waited for M2 MBPs, but have similar 100% favorable experiences with the new M-series. I am very curious to see how Apple architects the Mac Pro with the M3 chips (even though MP competence already far exceeds my personal needs).
The thing I was concerned about (the throttled SSD access with some models) was taken care of with the 16GB Ram. Other than that I should be good for a few years. The Mac Pro is now a problem child unless some peripheral cards (graphics? memory) can actually be accessed.

gagarin

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2006
Kyiv, Ukraine
Mine is a December 2013 MBP15. (Ordered and arrived in December 2013.). Apple obsoleted my machine in maybe 2019 or 2020. And if I recall, the last OS update I could download was earlier this year I think.

With normal, easy use (email and office suite stuff), my battery will go all day still. If I have to do big graphics work with many apps running and many tabs / windows open, moving big files from site to site, my battery will quickly show its age.

Not too bothered by the battery. It’s not bad yet. But good to know about the $200 replacement fee. Thanks!

I am concerned about the heat. My MBP used to remain nice and cool and silent 100% of the time. Since 2021, certain activity that was easy for it and caused no heat before, will now cause it to spin up the fan to high as it gets to those super hot nuclear temps. Honestly I think the code in some software now intentionally directs the chips to throttle, heat up and slow down processes to convince people it’s time for a replacement. My MBP did not start using the fan at all until 2021. Truly, the 1st time the fan spun up, it shocked me because I forgot that my MBP actually had a fan - I had not ever heard it run before. I thought something was broken.

But I have gotten 10 years out of it. I am ok to get a new one. This one will become the unit that powers my home theater. All good.
Your heat just might come from Youtube on Safari actually. End of 2021 is when Safari started to use VP9 for Youtube and decoding started to be done on CPU instead of GPU as it was with AVC before that.

You can use Chrome with Enhanced h264ify extension to get back to lower CPU usage (and heat). And also your computer is still safe with latest security updates. Well you can even go to newer OS with OCLP if you would ike to

Allen_Wentz

macrumors 68030
Dec 3, 2016
USA
Thanks. See my reply to Kinless above.

I have been buying Apple products for 30 years. I used to call Apple Tech Support a lot 30 years ago. Apple TS is really not on my radar now. The last time I called Apple TS was in Feb 2023 for my iPhone 13mini Magsafe charger that was broken right out of the package. Prior to that, I had not called Apple TS since I had a PowerPC notebook.

My OS updates and support comment is about when Apple announces they are obsoleting a product and that new Apple OS downloads, security updates, and software patches will no longer be made available for XYZ model laptops produced from XYZ year or earlier. When Apple says that I will not be able to download stuff now, I just say OK. I've never tried to do it anyway. I will give it a shot and see what happens. If I get one more squeeze out of it, Great! My 10 year old MBP will get me to next January or February without issue. I will replace it then, and be really excited to get the new Apple goodness! Thanks!
You say "when Apple announces they are obsoleting a product and that new Apple OS downloads, security updates, and software patches will no longer be made available for XYZ model..." But Mac is not Win and that is not what I have observed. My 2016 MBP cannot be upgraded beyond Mojave, but security updates still come and tech support has not been downgraded. I just got pushed a Mojave security update to the old MBP within the last few weeks.

Maybe what you describe happens beyond the ~7 years that I have been keeping Apple products still viable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.