Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jtrauscht

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
Anyone who thinks iPhones and iPads aren't computers that are being used heavily for things that used to need an traditional-style computer is REALLY trying to cling to the past!

There is a difference between usefulness and productivity. An iPhone is certainly useful, but it can't replace my desktop computer when it comes to work that I need to accomplish to earn a living.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
What's the manufacturers share like? Obviously a "best selling" OS isn't worth much when you see how HTC are struggling even though they are "market leader" with Android ;-) ...

This article is a ridiculous comparison, IMO. And I don't think Android was included.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
This article is a ridiculous comparison, IMO. And I don't think Android was included.

It is a ridiculous comparison. Just as the comparison of "Windows PCs" VS "Macs" is.

Where did I state that Android was included? HTC was just an example for how irrelevant the market share is when the OS is separated from the hardware supplier. Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you.

gibbz

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2007
Norman, OK

The article shows that mobile computing is dominating the old-school PC market. As Benedict Evans said, even with Apple acting like a "niche" company selling expensive devices, by some measure they are outselling old school. Add in Android, and it looks even more bleak for the traditional PC market.

You can read his explanation of the graph here.

Last edited:

Database

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2009
In other news.... Chevrolet sold more cars, vans, trucks, suvs combined than Ford sold trucks.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
In other news.... Chevrolet sold more cars, vans, trucks, suvs combined than Ford sold trucks.

That doesn't really work. It would be like Ford not selling any trucks at all, but some other component that other manufacturers used.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
A iPad by definition is a PC

So... Did I claim otherwise? Nope. But this chart sure seems to wish it was so.

----------

It is a ridiculous comparison. Just as the comparison of "Windows PCs" VS "Macs" is.

Where did I state that Android was included? HTC was just an example for how irrelevant the market share is when the OS is separated from the hardware supplier. Sorry, I did not mean to confuse you.

Why is comparing pcs to macs a ridiculous comparison? You're literally comparing directly
Competing products.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
The article shows that mobile computing is dominating the old-school PC market. As Benedict Evans said, even with Apple acting like a "niche" company selling expensive devices, by some measure they are outselling old school. Add in Android, and it looks even more bleak for the traditional PC market.

The guy had to shut down comments because people were rightly handing him his a** in a hat. I understand he was trying to highlight the strength of mobile but he went completely out of his way to make the numbers work to support his narrative. He would have been much better served by showing a insanely simple graph: PC's sold vs Mobile devices sold. Show a 5 year progression and be done with it. But nooooo, he had to make his data work. So he had to add Macs and subtract Win Phones to make it work. Click bait.

This forum is full of well known self professed Apple fans. But even most of them are calling BS on this. Apple doesn't need spurious data to legitimize their sales success. It is what it is. MR should be :eek: for even posting this.

Apple crushed MS in mobile. MS crushed Apple in PC market. Is anyone surprised by this?

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
There are just too many variables. How can u tell who is repairing or building a PC?

I'd say base it on legitimate operating system active (active being the key word) licenses. Of course that wouldn't be as accurate a number as Mac sales. But I'd say it would be good enough to be usable.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
If you include windows phone with windows pcs Microsoft still sold more units.

MICROSOFT sold more units? Are you sure about that? lol

Edit: I see that you were referring to Windows licenses and not actual hardware.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
So if was pointed out that the intent of the article was to make light of the fact that mobile computing is taking over traditional. Putting aside the failure to include anything outside if Apple products compared directly to windows, I would like to point something out.

A mobile computing system (referring mainly to a smartphone) is generally a personal device. By that I mean it isn't really shared. Most families will have multiples of these; I would say that's a pretty fair assumption. All the while the desktop computer is a shared product. There is often no need for every single person in the family to have one. Why would there be? It is no less useful (generally speaking) to have one versus five of them.

As a bit if anecdotal evidence, since you know, that means I'm right (lol), my family of four has three smartphones, a tablet and only one computer (not counting the home theater pc since it's essentially a home built dvr, but I'm mentioning it here for the sake of "fairness", for what it's worth). That single computer is used quite a bit in the house, but there is no real need for multiples.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

I think it shows that people now own multiple devices more than they did a few years ago. Most had some type of pc whether it was a notebook or desktop. Then came the smartphone which people added to their existing computers. Then the iPad and tablet came and people added this too. IMO, people don't upgrade their pc as frequently as they do their phone or tablet. I personally don't know anyone who ditched their latop/desktop for a phone or a tablet although I'm sure some have. Personally I see tablets as a supplementary device and the phone has become a necessity.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Only thing about this article that interests me, is that Im actually suprised that THAT many Windows pc´s are being sold. Everyone I know these days either dont need a pc anymore or buys mac.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
So if was pointed out that the intent of the article was to make light of the fact that mobile computing is taking over traditional. Putting aside the failure to include anything outside if Apple products compared directly to windows, I would like to point something out.

A mobile computing system (referring mainly to a smartphone) is generally a personal device. By that I mean it isn't really shared. Most families will have multiples of these; I would say that's a pretty fair assumption. All the while the desktop computer is a shared product. There is often no need for every single person in the family to have one. Why would there be? It is no less useful (generally speaking) to have one versus five of them.

As a bit if anecdotal evidence, since you know, that means I'm right (lol), my family of four has three smartphones, a tablet and only one computer (not counting the home theater pc since it's essentially a home built dvr, but I'm mentioning it here for the sake of "fairness", for what it's worth). That single computer is used quite a bit in the house, but there is no real need for multiples.
This is one of the two sensible posts in this thread.
I too have a desktop that the whole family, (four of us), uses. Plus it has a guest account for visitors.
There are 4 iDevices amongst us........I'd suggest that kind of thing skews the figures somewhat.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Anyone who thinks iPhones and iPads aren't computers that are being used heavily for things that used to need an traditional-style computer is REALLY trying to cling to the past!

So why does apple still make traditional computers??

Think it through and you will realise the desktop/laptop will be around for a very long time.

The iPhones/iPads are the iToys of the computer industry, there to be enjoyed, it takes serious computer power to run the world people take for granted on their iToys.

----------

Only thing about this article that interests me, is that Im actually suprised that THAT many Windows pc´s are being sold. Everyone I know these days either dont need a pc anymore or buys mac.

That's just the friends you hang out with ;) it's cool to have a mac .

grahamtriggs

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2003

I'm happy enough to include iPads in the comparison, being a device that is similar to, and purchased in order to be used a bit like a computer.

But iPhones and especially iPods are trickier. Sure, people do some computer-y things with them, and may actually decide not to take laptop or tablet with them when they are out because they can do the basics. But they aren't a replacement for a computer, and some people will never use them anything more than their basic functionality as a phone / media player.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008

Actually no.

If you bought a computer for home use every 5 years for the last 20 years , that becomes your refresh cycle. 4 computers

If you bought a new phone every year for the last 20 years, as they are much cheaper and you wanted the best gadgets. 20 phones.

So just because phones have become smartphones and one could argue they can do more tasks that required a traditional computer , they are not competing for sales. Mobile computing dominating old school computing ??? Only in numbers, and let's not forget they are cheaper.

I have a three year old gaming PC, in that time I bought 2 iPads and 3 iPhones . While my itoys are awesome, they can't do what my PC does. Different tools for different purposes.

People have to stop putting iPads and iPhones into mobile computing . Desktop , mobile , iToys.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm certainly in that statistic. It's been several years since I owned a Mac and I bought a Mac Mini from Amazon in December. I'll probably buy another one when they get updated.

Nahaz

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2010
Australia
Because posts of "iWatch" concept devices or fake iPhone 6 leaks aren't? :rolleyes:

As far as the data I'm assuming Windows PCs includes tablets/convertible devices? If not then its a flawed graph. As far as iOS devices not being PCs, I guarantee you plenty of people are using iOS devices for stuff they used to do with Windows PCs.

Doesn't include Windows Phones making it an inaccurate comparison.

As for the iPhone/iWatch leaks, at some could be plausible, even though we get by the dozen too. At least it sort of fits with the sites name, macRUMORS, even if the rumors are not true. That is up to the viewer to decide I guess.

chadua

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2008
This graph could also justify a headline that says "Microsoft sold more Windows phones than Apple sold macs" It's interesting data, but the method of presenting it was laughable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.