Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple Splitting 'ProCare' into 'ProCare' and 'One-to-One'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

MacRumors has heard that Apple will be relaunching its ProCare product on Wednesday, splitting the $99 service into two separate $99 services.

Apple's current ProCare package offers a number of services for a $99/year cost. These services include:

- Personal Training - up to 52 one-hour sessions over a year.
- Fast Track - priority repairs and available same-day service at the Genius Bar.
- Advance Reservations - schedule appointments for the Genius Bar and The Studio up to 14 days in advance.
- Yearly Tune-up - system diagnostics, update your Apple software, and even clean your monitor and keyboard.
- Computer Setup - transfer all your existing files to your new computer, organize everything into convenient folders, and set up your system and your new software.

Apple is expected to split their ProCare service into two separate services:

ProCare - $99.
- Fast Track
- Advanced Reservations
- Yearly Tune-up
- Backup Consult
- Complete Setup

One-to-One - $99. ($79 for teachers)
- Personal Training - up to 52 one-hour sessions over a year.
- Complete Setup

So, customers interested in purchasing ProCare should considering purchasing ProCare before Wednesday as benefits will reportedly be honored under the old terms.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
weak...I've never had a huge urge to buy Procare, but if I ever did its was nice to know there was the extra bonus of the one on one thing

Comment

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
They should have dropped the price a little bit too. It's still worth it, but not as good of a value as before.

Comment

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
What?! So now they are gonna charge double for the same service, essentially? That's rip-off!

Comment

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I am I the only one who wants Pro Care because of the cool looking card? :D

Comment

Psychic Shopper

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2003
Cleveland Ohio
It's easy to transfer files

- Computer Setup - transfer all your existing files to your new computer, organize everything into convenient folders, and set up your system and your new software.

If your old Mac has a firewire port it's real easy to transfer files, it was a snap for me

Comment

reallynotnick

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2005
I am I the only one who wants Pro Care because of the cool looking card?

Well I did not want pro care before, but now you tell me there is a cool card? I am interested now.

But doesn't that show that you know nothing about Apple or you wasted $100?

Comment

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
What's the source for all this? Official information?

sorry for not specifying. I added "MacRumors has heard..." to the story. It's a rumor, though seems pretty likely.

arn

Comment

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
I don't understand...they're splitting one very important part of a $99 service into a separate $99 service so customers will have to spend $200 on a service that used to cost them $99 for really no apparent reason whatsoever????

Comment

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
i'd never have paid for the service anyways, but if you're going to split a service up into two, then the price ought to be reduced as well.

bad call apple.

Comment

rmapple

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2007
I've had Procare for 9-10 months and I already had doubts of keeping the membership. If the services change with an increased price, I will not renew my membership.

Comment

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
ProCare always sounded like a waste (or something to bundle with AppleCare) and still does.

One-to-One, at 52 hours for $99, sounds like a great deal if you like to be taught/shown, and find enough topics of value.

Both include "setup" help, which sounds like a good thing for Mac newcomers.

Comment

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
What is the service for allowing users of pro apps to contact apple about technical problems in the software?

Comment

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
If this ends up being true Apple is just out to make another buck while they are already making good profits. So much for customers first :rolleyes:

Comment

bgarlock

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2006
I bought ProCare, just for the "FastTrack" service, which is supposed to put you at the head of the pack for AppleCare repairs. The one time I flashed my card, and needed my machine repaired, *after* all the parts had come in, I was told that I would have to wait up to 24 hours for a keyboard replacement.

I bet I could do the replacement in about 1/2 hour, maybe less. I have added several HD's to iBook G4's, and that is about as tough as replacements get. Replacing a keyboard on a MBP is not rocket science, but in order to keep my machine under warranty, I need to have the "Genius" do it.

I still have not brought my MBP back to have the keyboard replaced (backlight issue).

So, read the fine print! I read where there is no guarantee that FastTrack folks will get their machines added to the top of the repair list, but the marketing material sure does seem like it should. I never would have purchased ProCare, if there was not this supposed "quick" repair turn-arounds. I am still fuming about it. I can't give my laptop up for 24 hours - I use it as my daily machine. Maybe I can convince them to give me a loaner, and I can boot from my Super Duper image, on one of my external drives.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I wish they would just give me the part, and let me do it.

Comment

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
this is complete horse poo. It was fine the way it is.
Also limiting the number of classes throughout the year....pifff...

Comment

Di9it8

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2006
If this ends up being true Apple is just out to make another buck while they are already making good profits. So much for customers first :rolleyes:

Looks like putting customers pockets first.
Also it seems to me, rather than pro or expert care, it is becoming novice care, or even am care :eek:

Comment

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Well I did not want pro care before, but now you tell me there is a cool card? I am interested now.

But doesn't that show that you know nothing about Apple or you wasted $100?

I actually know all about Pro Care, it was kind of a joke... I don't even want it...

I'll add a ":D " to show I'm not serious, or perhaps lots of people here are unable to detect sarcasm. :confused:

Comment

Shintocam

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2005
Canada
Gotta fix the fix

I bought ProCare, just for the "FastTrack" service, which is supposed to put you at the head of the pack for AppleCare repairs. The one time I flashed my card, and needed my machine repaired, *after* all the parts had come in, I was told that I would have to wait up to 24 hours for a keyboard replacement.

I bet I could do the replacement in about 1/2 hour, maybe less. I have added several HD's to iBook G4's, and that is about as tough as replacements get. Replacing a keyboard on a MBP is not rocket science, but in order to keep my machine under warranty, I need to have the "Genius" do it.

I still have not brought my MBP back to have the keyboard replaced (backlight issue).

So, read the fine print! I read where there is no guarantee that FastTrack folks will get their machines added to the top of the repair list, but the marketing material sure does seem like it should. I never would have purchased ProCare, if there was not this supposed "quick" repair turn-arounds. I am still fuming about it. I can't give my laptop up for 24 hours - I use it as my daily machine. Maybe I can convince them to give me a loaner, and I can boot from my Super Duper image, on one of my external drives.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? I wish they would just give me the part, and let me do it.

Interesting. As much as I love my Powerbook - when I need repairs, I long for the days of having my Dell (no seriously). We have lots of laptops at work - a mix of Dells, Apples, Toshibas etc... Problem with an Apple? Bring it to an authorised dealer, leave it for a few days, wait...get it back.

Problem with a Dell? They call me to set up a convinient time, show up at my office with the necessary parts for repairs, fix it in front of me, and then wish me a good day. Seriously - had that happen for a screen replacement, keyboard replacement (two different machines). And usually they show up within 24 hours....

Still, I'm not going back - my next laptop will be a MBP but still there are still things Apple can learn from Dell.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.