Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
For those of you that are shareholders, due have any price in mind at which point you would consider selling at? 700? 1000? I got at a very good price and I'm not sure where to get out at. I feel like apple is such a fad thing right now. I go to school and people buy MacBooks to go on facebook and FaceTime. They don't get it that you can do the same thing on a 400 dollar laptop. I think eventually the fad will fade out. Apple will still be a strong company with all the stores and iTunes and apps but they will lose this "need to be seen with apple products" eventually.

Your logic is flawed. If you can afford a Macbook over a $400 plastic PoS for college why not get one? For some people it's a Fad and I agree alot of people buy them blindly. But don't put everyone under your prejudice blanket

Taipan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2003
Thank you sir. Grammatical errors such as that make me think some of these people skipped grade school... Next on the agenda: There, their and they're. ConCat: Educating America.

Exactly! In all those years with the internet it still amazes me how often I have to shake my head at things like that.
Reminds me of a post I once made in a game forum:
link

Last edited:

battlefieldfan1

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
Your logic is flawed. If you can afford a Macbook over a $400 plastic PoS for college why not get one? For some people it's a Fad and I agree alot of people buy them blindly. But don't put everyone under your prejudice blanket

Because some people like the Windows OS better than the OSX? I can tell from this post that you're pretty vain and superficial. The only thing you seem to care about is status when you should be buying a laptop for its functionality.

Though a lot of mac users deny it, there are plenty of 3rd party applications that are buggy and unstable on macs.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Because some people like the Windows OS better than the OSX? I can tell from this post that you're pretty vain and superficial. The only thing you seem to care about is status when you should be buying a laptop for its functionality.

Though a lot of mac users deny it, there are plenty of 3rd party applications that are buggy and unstable on macs.

You can tell this by three or four sentences? I can tell that you are a horrible judge of character and extremely naïve, just by your judgement of that guy.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012

Windows OS vs Mac OSX wasn't the discussion. He claimed they didn't "need" a Macbook, when they can do the same work on the $400 Machine. You're just trying to draw out an argument where there isn't one.

I like the Macbook, I can afford it. I like the support. It works for me. So I have one. Who are you to point fingers and call someone "vain and superficial" you must have some problems of your own to come attack somebody on preference of OS. Not once did I ever state that OSX was flawless. I run bootcamp with w7. Both Operating Systems have their own pro's and con's. Not one thing you can/will say about OSX/Windows is gonna have any effect on who purchases what. You aren't getting paid to support one Multibillion-dollar company over so why even waste your time?

Your prejudice posts about people you've read two lines of text from amuses me.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012

which 3rd party apps are buggy and unstable? I'd like to know. I am 100% windows free and make my living working on apple computers. So which apps are buggy and unstable to warrant you saying mac users are in denial?

PS - it is about os x vs windows. I absolutely loathe windows now after using os x since snow leopard. I can afford apple products and I will not pay a dime to buy a windows machine, period. There's plenty of high quality software for the mac and I don't need windows at all.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
For those of you that are shareholders, due have any price in mind at which point you would consider selling at? 700? 1000? I got at a very good price and I'm not sure where to get out at.
Speaking for myself, I don't look at a target price saying, "I will sell AAPL at $____."

I look at Apple's growth relative to the overall industry (and their closest competitors) while keeping an eye on their performance vis-a-vis the S&P 500 and Nasdaq indexes. There are 20+ financial performance indicators that should be assessed. There are also intangibles like my confidence of the senior management team's ability to execute a successful business plan.

The time to really sell is when you are convinced that there's another investment that will do better than Apple, like shorting Facebook. :D

Ultimately, it comes down to how much sleep you are willing to lose.

In the end, it's really a risk assessment exercise, like so many of life's decisions. Remember though, it's just money -- yours.

It's not like deciding to get behind the wheel of an automobile. That's an activity that maims/kills humans on a regular basis, probably the most riskiest behavior that the typical adult routinely pursues.

Good luck.

battlefieldfan1

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012

yano729

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Yea I have apple and google, two ponies in the same race as I see it. I think eventually apple and google will eventually buy all these small companies out as they have been. Google has been doing exceptionally well lately. When apple was ahead of google for a little while, I just had a feeling that wouldn't last for long

battlefieldfan1

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2012
lol. Sorry pal, I don't game on my macs. I game on my xbox360 and ps3, however. Try again.

Don't know about you, but I'm a huge PC gamer. I mean, why bother upgrading a 10 year-old PC if you're not going to do resource-intensive activities?

I admit, every once in a while, I do get tempted to buy another iMac just due to how aesthetically pleasing it is. However, at the end of the day, I'm a man and I care more about power, stability, security and functionality over looks.

And trust me, it's not just Steam. Sony Vegas is another app that doesn't work on macs.

The difference in dev support between windows and macs become even more apparent from 3rd party applications from companies, groups and individuals that aren't well-known but fit your own personal niche. Take Desmume. Though they do have a mac version of their program, it has far less features than the windows version and it's heck of a lot unstable.

Let's start with your ignorance.

Steam is so buggy in general that they have an entire forum just for windows-related errors.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

Actually, that section is devoted to any type of help and tips, not just technical errors. Take a look at the topics that people post.

Steam Account got hijacked - Does this sound like a windows-related error?
Pink/Black squares on Gmod Addons? - This is an add-on from another 3rd party. Not Valve's problem and it's mostly due to programming flaws rather than windows flaw.
[TF2] Everyone can connect to my server except me - Not a windows problem.
Why won't steam launch a game? - Maybe.
Gifts from German - Nothing to do with windows
Help! Steam Uninstalled it self! Now it is just being... - Ok, I'll give you this
day z problems? - Not a windows problem. 3rd person problem is due to coding errors by dev.
Games crashing/not working after MvM Update - I'll give you this one
Team Fortress 2 - Crashes whenever I play it. - This too.
What happened to"Battle versus Chess"? and no key? - Not a windows problem
Can't buy a game - Not a windows problem
Did I just loose all my money? Paysafecard problem - Not a windows problem

You get my point. Now let's have a look at the mac section.

Wil PayDay The Heist work on my Mac
Steam client not working on MacBookPro - Mac problem
[BUG] Some games don't download in OS-X - Mac problem
Losing Non-Steam Apps added and corrupt icons. - Mac problem
steam error code 118 fix? - Mac problem
Validating Steam Cache Files - ???
[BUG] Error/Crash Reporter Opens When I quit Steam - Mac problem
Steam store 000000s - Mac problem
Mountain Lion FM2012 - Mac problem
Macbook Pro and Heating Problems - Mac problem
Launching game doesn't work - Mac problem
CS: GO for Macbook Pro 2010 - Mac problem
Texture [BUG] - Mac problem
Blank screens, steam overlay failing, unresponsive screens - Mac problem

The list goes on.

Note that I didn't cherry-pick the topics. They were all on the front page. You should also note that mac users only make a tiny portion of Steam gamers yet make up the vast majority of bug-related complaints. One can safely arrive at the conclusion that Steam is more unstable on macs than it is on windows.

Last edited:

boronathan

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
Didn't people say the stock would plummet after the last earnings report?

Strange that 8 billion dollars of profit doesn't mean you're failing :p

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Let's start with your ignorance.

Steam is so buggy in general that they have an entire forum just for windows-related errors.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17

This. Steam is a gigantic leaning tower of ****.

As far as OSX v Windows goes. Each OS has pros and cons. Pick the one that works for you.

For me, my workflow, heavy lifting, high performance simulation software for work, and gaming. I use windows. Its just better for me in that area.

For my media center, and daily driver living room computer, I've always usef OSX, the most recent mac I have being a 27in 11 imac.

Choose the tools that suit their jobs the best.

As far as AAPL stock goes. I have a small number of shares, and when I sell ill probably make about 30 or so grand off them. So I'm happy about this news. I also hold MSFT stock, so I hope they also do well.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Well, it's mostly based on speculation on a company's future earnings.

Nice, they're back where they were 5 years ago....also, Google has 1.72 million shares and they do not split their stock - can't compare that the way you are.

That was my point. Just because Google stock price is similar doesn't mean the company is worth more.

Google has 1.72 million shares vs Apple's 9.08 million.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
Don't know about you, but I'm a huge PC gamer. I mean, why bother upgrading a 10 year-old PC if you're not going to do resource-intensive activities?

I admit, every once in a while, I do get tempted to buy another iMac just due to how aesthetically pleasing it is. However, at the end of the day, I'm a man and I care more about power, stability, security and functionality over looks.

And trust me, it's not just Steam. Sony Vegas is another app that doesn't work on macs.

The difference in dev support between windows and macs become even more apparent from 3rd party applications from companies, groups and individuals that aren't well-known but fit your own personal niche. Take Desmume. Though they do have a mac version of their program, it has far less features than the windows version and it's heck of a lot unstable.

I'm a hardcore gamer myself. I prefer Macs for stability and security - they are not bug free but neither is Windows. I prefer Windows for gaming and functionality but that doesn't matter if I do it on a Mac or a PC...

As for apps being buggy, I can point out a ton on Windows.

Lindsford

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2012
And this is Apple's fault? Seriously?

Lol. Apparently.
someone_is_wrong_on_the_internet1.jpg

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
The seasons don't tell us when they are coming either, but they always do, just like clock work, and every wild animals prepares accordingly without even reading the Internets.

Seriously, there have been plenty of bona fide Apple followers that have confirmed the announcement, pre-order, and launch dates. Also, Wall Street likes to buy on rumor, sell on fact.

More likely that market finished up and well in Europe since the 'confirmed' announcement and launch dates have been out for awhile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.