Apple store claims better screen

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Blacklabel34, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Blacklabel34, Mar 3, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2011

Blacklabel34 macrumors 6502

So my grandpa (a bigger apple nut then me believe it or not) went to the apple store today since I told him about the new iPad2. (for what reason I don't know, he's 74 so I'm assuming it's because he's bored) Anyways, he tells me that the iPad2 has a better screen then the first generation (which we both currently have). I asked him to elaborate and all he could was,"the guy at the apple store told me it was better". Am I missing something because I was under the assumption it was the same? Did the guy flat out bs my grandpa?:confused:

Resolved Thank you

2. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

Display 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
    1024-by-768-pixel resolution at 132 pixels per inch (ppi)
    Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
    Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously

that was taken right from Apple.com

No difference in screens.

3. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I can imagine the kinds of grandpa jokes you're going to get with this thread.

I think either the guy was lying, or your Grandpa misheard. The screen is not improved.

4. Benny777 macrumors newbie

They probably weren't correct in saying the screen was better. In the official iPad video, they talk about the screen being able to be thinner which helps the iPad be thinner, but they didn't make any mention of a better screen in the video or the keynote, although there were rumors that it would be better viewable in sunlight.

5. SirStuey macrumors newbie

Apple store employees aren't always as knowledgeable about these things as they should be.

When asking questions about the MBA vs MBP, one person told me that the resolution was the same, another tole me that the graphics card of the 15" will improve performance in all applications and use although it's meant for gaming, and another didn't know what the name of the Displayport when I asked about a DVI or VGA adapter.

So, it's not impossible for the employee to have passed on misinformation accidentally.

6. Blacklabel34 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, I mean my grandpa is old but he's still very alert and on it. I was always under the impression the screen was the same since I saw the video of the event. I will give him a call tomorrow and let him know that the guy at the apple store probably misheard.

Concern Resolved, thank you

7. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

Maybe it looks better.

Just because the numbers don't change, doesn't mean the visible quality has to be the same.

8. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

same resolution, same pixel density, same aspect ratio...i'm pretty sure nothing has changed.

9. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If there's a change it might be in that it's laminated to the glass like the iPhone 4. Nobody seems to know for sure yet on this.

10. iPad 2nd Gen macrumors regular

Hey guys this guy at the Apple Store told me it prints money is this true

11. ovrlrd macrumors 65816

ovrlrd

That is really how they manage to make the screen "thinner" and thus help make the iPad 2 thinner. I would say there is a good chance of this being the case. This would mean better viewing angle, and make the screen look better in general. I suspect when put side by side it will be pretty obvious.

Sadly this is the only photo I can find so far and the exposure doesn't allow for comparisons.

http://zapp4.staticworld.net/news/graphics/221233-img_3286_606_slide.jpg

Other photos I saw suggested better viewing angle though which supports the "laminated" theory.

12. Darkfox3889 macrumors member

Isn't there a point in the video where it refers to the screen "Going from 3 elements to 2", or something along those lines?? :confused:

13. Gryzor macrumors 6502

Ummm...the screen is thinner, and the way it has been laminated is different (closer to the surface). So, it should appear a bit brighter.

That kind of attitude is like saying a 32" 1366 x 768 HDTV from 7 years ago is no different to a 32" 1366 x 768 HDTV from 2 years ago just because it has the same resolution, pixel density and aspect ratio.

14. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

Dude. Thinner is better in Apple land. +1 for genius. :rolleyes:

15. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

The thinness of the device should mean that the screen is optically laminated to the display, by default, eliminating light refraction.
    I sincerely hope so, because even though my iPad's screen is excellent, it doesn't have that 'painted onto the glass look' that is so awesome on my iPhone 4.

16. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

So your Grandpa and the Apple Store employee win.

17. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

From the way Ive describes the screen in the video Apple put up it sounds like they did laminate the display to the glass, so it would give that 'painted onto the glass look' which would make the screen look better even tho the specs are the same. I really hope they did do that with the display.

18. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

They may have put the screen closer to the glass like the iPhone 4.

The gap between the LCD and glass on the current iPad is very noticeable in direct sunlight compared to the iPhone 4.

19. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

See.... Another reason to run out the 11th and get one.

20. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

And the fact that it's brighter and has a better viewing angle doesn't count as "better" here.

+1 for MacRumors posters who can't appreciate anything

21. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Also, on top of everything in this thread, all of Apple's items tend to look better at the Apple store. My iMac does not look nearly as striking in my room as it did on the brightest setting, under the brightest lights at the Apple store. It could also be that illusion. :)

22. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Hey, I heard an Apple Store rep tell a customer that the iPad isn't compatible with Adobe PDF. Of course it probably meant Adobe Flash, but that is the level of knowledge you are getting these days at the stores. Don't rely on anything they say. They are for the most part drones and don't know much more than the customers.

If the iPad had a better screen don't you think Steve Jobs would have mentioned how spectacular or incredible or magical it was? But, no, it was relatively silent on the screen and instead touted the 1080p HDMI dongle that doesn't really output 1080p. Boom!

23. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If we're right then it's a feature the iPhone 4 had and I don't recall Steve talking about it then, either. They talked about retina a lot, sure, but did they brag about eliminating the air gap?

If they did I've forgotten about it.

24. Mike Reed macrumors regular

I think it would make sense that they did at least lessen the distance between the screen and the glass even if it's not technically laminated together. With it being as thin as it is they would have had to squeeze in every bit of space savings they could.

25. spice weasel macrumors 65816

No joke. When Apple first started opening its stores, I found that most of the employees were genuine Apple geeks who were very knowledgeable about all the products. Even the non-Genius Bar employees.

Over the years, however, as Apple has opened up stores in seemingly ever mall in America, the quality of the employees has gone down considerably. I've lost count of the number of times I've overheard an employee giving inaccurate information to a potential customer. Usually I sidle up and try to help clarify things.