Apple Store Goes Down Ahead of Expected iPod Refresh

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Apple Online Store was taken offline moments ago ahead of an expected refresh to the iPod touch, iPod nano and iPod shuffle lineup of portable media players. The sixth-generation iPod touch will likely feature a 64-bit processor, new colors and other hardware improvements, while the iPod nano and iPod shuffle are expected to be released in new colors only.

iPods discovered in unreleased colors (left) and Apple Store down (right)

iPods in unreleased colors were first spotted in iTunes 12.2 earlier this month, including a darker blue for the iPod touch, a new gold color for the iPod nano and a brighter pink color for the iPod shuffle. MacRumors subsequently discovered a full lineup of six new colors for the iPod touch, nano and shuffle hidden within iTunes resource files, including silver, space gray, red, bright pink, deep blue and light gold.

Article Link: Apple Store Goes Down Ahead of Expected iPod Refresh

Reactions: motwera

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
while it is part of the cult and the expectations ... but why haven't they updated to some system where they don't have to take the store down for half a day just to update a few products on there .... just imagine Amazon would do that every time they add something new or remove something. It is time to move to the next century.

But good that they update the touch - may parents/kids will be happy about it.

thybigfoot

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
I'm wondering if it is still necessary for Apple to take the store actually down (it's 2015!).
I don't know any other store where this is done.

Normally you work with staging and pre-staging systems to activate changes with a single mouse click.

Is it only a marketing gimmick?

LucasEVille

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2015
Nottingham & London, UK
while it is part of the cult and the expectations ... but why haven't they updated to some system where they don't have to take the store down for half a day just to update a few products on there .... just imagine Amazon would do that every time they add something new or remove something. It is time to move to the next century.

I think we all know its part and parcel of Apple launches now.... Build the excitement which can be seen in posts below this for probably 17+ pages.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado

I've always wondered the same thing. I seem to remember only once or twice over the last six years or so where the store was updated without it going down.

thybigfoot

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2015
That's what I was saying at the same time :)

robeddie

Suspended
Jul 21, 2003
Atlanta

So true!!! Never thought about that ... but great point. The 'hype' angle is lame. Maybe works for a half dozen Apple geeks on a site like this, but outside of that, most people actually have a life.

Reactions: GenesisST

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Is this the last hurrah for iPods? Rumors don't indicate a bigger screen for the Touch so my guess is this is the last iPod update we'll see.

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006

I've always wondered the same thing. I seem to remember only once or twice over the last six years or so where the store was updated without it going down.
When apple updates they are updating their entire web site and referencing product pages. They change the look and feel of the store. Other stores like Amazon you're adding a product to their database. There is no change in the core framework of how their site works.

marvz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin

As others have said: hype. And also they are probably making some routine maintenance and adding/changing product pages while the servers are offline.

Reactions: orbital~debris

Gaspode67

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Oxon, UK
while it is part of the cult and the expectations ...
That's precisely why they do it. It's part of marketing to try to create a buzz about something. Apple's store can cope with things being added/deleted near instantaneously. After all, it isn't taken down every time a new cable/dock/adaptor is added. They could very easily roll the global store updates out in under a minute at the launch of a new product. They *choose* to take the store down to try to build a buzz of excitement, that's all.

porky

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2003
BELGIUM
My two playlists on Apple Music that i made are EMPTY! Is there something wrong? Because of the refresh? I'm I the only one?

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
When apple updates they are updating their entire web site and referencing product pages. They change the look and feel of the store. Other stores like Amazon you're adding a product to their database. There is no change in the core framework of how their site works.
It is only for the hype (and I'm fine with it, I am also getting excited every single time - would be a nice touch if they still would use the post-it note) .... all you mentioned above can be done without taking the server down for hours, this is no longer the eighties !

Reactions: orbital~debris

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Apple really doesn't understand how the internet works.

Why do they have to "go down" in order to update with new products?

Euge

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2006
It is only for the hype (and I'm fine with it, I am also getting excited every single time) .... all you mentioned above can be done without taking the server down for hours, this is no longer the eighties !
Not necessarily. Apple's web traffic is huge. They may have a large backend caching mechanism, all kinds of systems we don't even know about, plus the deployment process is always business specific.

I don't think they do it just for the hype. I don't think Apple would care that much about its followers to do something like this just for they hype. It's more likely that there is more going on technically than we know about.

Reactions: dschulian and teslo