Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Original poster
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I just read this over at 9to5mac.com and thought it was interesting.

"We figured it would be time for Apple to finally stop their iOS devices from being Jailbroken on their own turf, so we did a quick Twitter search. It appears that when JailBreakMe.com is accessed on any device at an Apple Store, the DNS forward users back to Apple.com's IP address."

Full Article:
http://www.9to5mac.com/jailbreakme-block-at-apple-stores

vizkiz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2008
Long Island, NY
Can't you turn wifi off then just do it over the 3G network? I'm assuming it's set in their wireless routers to reroute the address, that's the easiest way to block it on them all at once.
Someone try it.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
I'll be very surprised if the SIMs in the demo phones connect to any carrier. They'll be set up to allow activation and wifi only.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
good

a big F-U to all the trolls who thought it was funny to make already busy apple employees more work by jailbreaking phones that would need to be restored

Bandolier

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
good

a big F-U to all the trolls who thought it was funny to make already busy apple employees more work by jailbreaking phones that would need to be restored

Is clicking restore and walking away to do something else such a daunting task for you?

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Is clicking restore and walking away to do something else such a daunting task for you?

Difficult task or not, it's still disrespectful.

You paid for your phone, do whatever the hell you want with it. But have some common courtesy for the store's property.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
Difficult task or not, it's still disrespectful.
Well said!

And yet it's important to note that Apple fanboys are idiots... They fail to understand what respect means. Hell they have no respect.

All one has to do is look at all the immature comments, personal attacks, and other nonsense on this or any other Apple forum.

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
a bit OT maybe, but is there a document or website somewhere that gives Steve Jobs' comments on jailbreaking?..

why is he soooo against it? I'd love to find out

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I think they should have gone one step further and had the phone send a txt message or alert that the site was accessed so they could attempt an intervention. Or snap a picture of the "jokester" with the front facing camera.

In other words - the people that did this for "kicks" were incredibly immature and disrespectful.

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
a bit OT maybe, but is there a document or website somewhere that gives Steve Jobs' comments on jailbreaking?..

Here's why, Apple keeps it's users locked into Apple's ecosystem. That way Apple keeps all the money. One must buy all songs, videos & other content from iTunes

The moment an iPhone is unlocked via Jailbreak, then the owner is free to get content from other sources. Apple loses control & money... The two things Steve Jobs loves above all else.

X2D

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
I honestly think it was good that people went in and did that because it was an in your face approach to apple, they have to fix an exploit if people are able to do it to their own devices.

Lotta glass is half empty folks around here. Quicker fix = better IMO.

Apple store employes just restore the devices and they are done, I'm sure they have much on-hand stock to just swap them out as well and restore them all at once.

If I was an apple store employee I'd find this to be a lot more entertaining than helping idiot customers all day.

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Here's why, Apple keeps it's users locked into Apple's ecosystem. That way Apple keeps all the money. One must buy all songs, videos & other content from iTunes

That's odd, I could have sworn I'd got a collection of over 200 ripped CDs and about 40 ripped DVDs in iTunes. I must have been imagining it... :rolleyes:

jbro1999

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009

The moment an iPhone is unlocked via Jailbreak, then the owner is free to get content from other sources. Apple loses control & money... The two things Steve Jobs loves above all else.

You can buy music, and videos from anywhere and put it on your iphone. The only thing you can't is apps.

roffir

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010

Imagine if you invented the iphone, and wanted to sell it to the world. Then people start jail breaking and running things you don't approve on it which in turn hinders the speed of the phone or makes it crash etc. and then everyone starts jail breaking and people looking to buy an iphone see that its slow and crashes because they've seen jail broken phones, and then the iphone's image gets worse and worse and people stop buying it. Whether or not someone agrees with jail breaking you must see apples point of view on not wanting unapproved applications running on the phone...

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
They could always just take their jailbroken iPhone or Android phone and use it as a mobile hotspot to access the site.

That being said, I think it should be considered very shameful and possibly criminal.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
a different take is that it's a constant reminder to people (and to apple) of things that phone is capable of but Apple hasn't implemented it.

If you're Apple (and Steve Jobs) - you don't want people to one-up on your own device.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Imagine if you invented the iphone, and wanted to sell it to the world. Then people start jail breaking and running things you don't approve on it which in turn hinders the speed of the phone or makes it crash etc. and then everyone starts jail breaking and people looking to buy an iphone see that its slow and crashes because they've seen jail broken phones, and then the iphone's image gets worse and worse and people stop buying it. Whether or not someone agrees with jail breaking you must see apples point of view on not wanting unapproved applications running on the phone...

i've had my iphone reboot on me all the time before i jailbroke it

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Can't you just tether one of their iPhones to your jailbroken iPhone via MyWi? That would be even better.

Clown Boy

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2008
I did it to 8 devices at my local Apple Store as a protest against all the silly lil fanboiz out there.

Personally I think its hilarious

:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.