Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's supposed "biggest bottleneck" in preparing to mass produce the rumored 5.8-inch iPhone with an edge-to-edge OLED display remains integrating Touch ID underneath the display, according to a research note from Cowen and Company analyst Timothy Arcuri obtained by MacRumors.

iPhone-6-Touch-ID.jpg

Arcuri, citing his own "field work" within the supply chain, said the current yield of Apple's in-house AuthenTec-based fingerprint sensor solution is low, while noting that Apple seems unwilling to use an outside solution at this time. If Apple cannot resolve these yield issues, he sees three different scenarios:
o Apple removes Touch ID from the 5.8-inch iPhone entirely and relies solely on facial/iris recognition. Arcuri said this is unlikely, as it's not secure enough, risky, and would potentially create issues with Apple Pay.

o Apple puts Touch ID on the back of the 5.8-inch iPhone, but in a different place than the one on the Galaxy S8, which can be hard to reach. Arcuri said this would not be a user-friendly or optimal solution to say the least.

o Apple delays production of the 5.8-inch iPhone, but still announces the device in early September alongside updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models.Arcuri said Apple is aiming to finalize its fingerprint sensor specification by May, but if its in-house AuthenTec-based solution is not feasible due to yield issues, mass production of the tentatively named "iPhone 8" could be delayed until September, compared to its usual late July to August timeframe.

Arcuri still expects Apple to announce the 5.8-inch iPhone alongside updated 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch models in September, but supplies may be extremely limited or unavailable whatsoever until later in the year. That timeline echoes recent predictions from Apple analyst Brian White and investment bank Barclays.

It's also a scenario that has occurred with nearly every previous iPhone launch. Last year, the iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black was a highly popular model among customers, and shipping estimates for online orders quickly slipped to several weeks out. It wasn't until around November that it became more widely available.

The device, which has also been called the iPhone X, iPhone Pro, or iPhone Edition, is expected to feature a new glass and stainless steel design, wireless charging, longer battery life, a new front-facing camera with 3D sensing capabilities, and improved water resistance. It also won't have a physical Home button.

Touch ID-related yield issues may be the reason why 5.8-inch iPhone components and schematics have yet to leak from the supply chain. iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus parts began to leak around March last year.

Cowen and Company maintains an "outperform" rating for AAPL with a $155 price target.

Article Link: Apple is Struggling to Integrate Touch ID Under the iPhone 8's Display

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Sunny1990

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
We have an interesting 5 months now leading up to this supposed new iPhone. We heard as early as last year that with the front of the phone going almost all screen that they were working on putting Touch ID under the screen. If they do pull it off, it'll be damn interesting to see.

jdclifford

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2011
We have an interesting 5 months now leading up to this supposed new iPhone. We heard as early as last year that with the front of the phone going almost all screen that they were working on putting Touch ID under the screen. If they do pull it off, it'll be damn interesting to see.
It'll be out in a few weeks. It's being called the Samsung Galaxy iPhone S8.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Delaying production is obviously the most likely. As for repositioning, while I don't see it happening, the best place in my opinion would be the side, possible in a newly designed power button. The front is always the best option however. Also I think it's time to stop referring to it as the iPhone 8.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
It's also possible that the suppliers that they questioned had older information. If Apple is making progress, even if yields are lower right now, then they'll likely move forward with limited inventory or change their marketing strategy for the device.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
Edge-to-edge display, thinner, under the display finger print sensor, and less ports is what users have been requesting by the millions! Apple will beam us into the future. Get your dongles and battery packs ready, innovation is happening ! :D

hawkeye_a

macrumors 68000
Jun 27, 2016
Does anyone *really* care about this? Is there something "bad" about the current implementation of TouchID? And is there something all that great in integrating it into the display?

This "feature" really sounds like a "cool engineering proof-of-concept", with little marketable value. IMHO (ie, with all the effort, time and money spent on this, will average consumers actually be "wowed"?)

WTH happened with "3D touch"? I know i would have preferred to have had better battery life(or a refreshed iOS...on even a better Music app) instead of that gimmick.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Nothing wrong with putting the Touch ID Sensor on the back of the phone. It may not be convenient since you need to pick up a phone off a table or desk, but the emphasis is being put on facial/Iris detection. As long as the sensor is always on and doesn't need an active backlit screen to activate, it should be fine.

Reactions: Ener Ji and koigirl

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
What's wrong with the current Touch ID design? It works so well that I can't think of any reason to mess with it.
Because the tech world has decided bezels are evil. If Apple releases another phone without reduced top and bottom bezels they will be killed by the tech press.

I find it hard to believe it's mid-April and Apple doesn't yet know what path it's going to take for a September release. I call BS on this research note.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.