Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Welcome to Surfacegate

Microsoft is having its iPhone 4 “Antennagate” moment, thanks to rampant reliability issues with its Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 devices. But rather than publicly face the problems head-on, the software giant has retreated behind a veil of silence. ...
I gave your post a thumbs up strictly for the linked article. The comment section was pure gold. It read exactly like an MR thread with the names changed to protect the innocent. It was like looking in a mirror. Good stuff. We are all the same.

Crossing Squirrel

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2015
As a rMBP 13" developer user I like the actual form factor, weight and size and since battery life is king for me I hope they wont make it "too thin".
If anything should change I would like to see Skylake as cpu and an option for 32GB ram, but this is mostly for my specific use case :)

kalvi

macrumors member
May 31, 2016
I see this thread is moving away from hinges to over-all MBP thread.. okay. Then i gotta ask why do people think that ESC key will also be non-physical? It can easily be moved where 'tilde' is right now.

Aaaaaand it also wouldn't be the first time to happen:
lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-x1-carbon-2-keyboard-zoom-4.jpg

Reactions: goodyear77

sctw

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2016
At this point I'd be content w. Apple showing off the new MacBook Pro and releasing it in September, similar to what they did w. the Mac Pro. Fingers crossed.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
I see this thread is moving away from hinges to over-all MBP thread.. okay. Then i gotta ask why do people think that ESC key will also be non-physical? It can easily be moved where 'tilde' is right now.

It could, maybe will. That could upset, create a backlash from, non-U.S., even U.S. users that use these symbols. After all when typing these are more important than ESC. So it seems to me that it should retain it's priority on the keyboard over ESC.

That said, I find it hard to believe Apple would adopt a touch bar without giving it haptic/taptic feedback. Otherwise it's kind of half-assed. A computer keyboard needs tactile feedback.
[doublepost=1465389432][/doublepost]
Please, dear Apple, take the current 15" Pro, add 1 usb-c port, skylake CPU and start to sell it...!

And 1 HDMI port and 1 SD card port -- a complete mobile device rather than a modular mobile hub.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
If you've noticed, all the Skylake notebook PCs have been of the 15W or Core M variety. They also have had lots of issues with firmware, most notably Microsoft. Intel has had some stumbles recently. The 28W Skylake chips Apple presumably would use in the MacBook Pro have just been released.
Details, details. I want things to be simple, I don't want to have to think, check, and compare. I thus just pretend that things are simple and base my opinion on that pretend-world. [/sarcasm]
[doublepost=1465395688][/doublepost]
I've been waiting 10 months for an update. My 2008 macbook pro crashes on a weekly bases. I may be forced to purchase a Windows machine for the first time in 15 years. I cannot pay a premium price for 2 year old tech. Sorry, Apple.
Two year old tech as in Broadwell processors released 15-months ago?
[doublepost=1465396125][/doublepost]
You mean computers that are not 4 years old.
There is only one Mac that is more than 2 years old, the Mac Pro (released December 2013). The problem with comic exaggeration is that it only works if it is actually funny. Otherwise it just looks like lying.

Reactions: doelcm82

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
You don't get Apple's MO, do you?
Sadly, I do. But i don't have to like it and I don't have to put up with it without a fight.
[doublepost=1465409783][/doublepost]
"We"="You"

For a mobile computer, thinner and lighter is better. Its easier to carry around. Thats what laptops are for.
Wait to see how the touch strip is implemented before you say you don't need it.
With the move towards cloud based storage and servers, the need for 2 internal storage drives is very low. You can already get 1TB SSD which is going to be enough for 99% of users.
If YOU need an HDMI connection for presentations, then buy a USBC to HDMI cable. If someone else needs VGA they can do likewise. USBC will spit out whatever anyone will need...
16GB of memory is already standard on the 15"mbps. Id expect to see 32GB on the high end this release for sure.
Bigger screen? If they can reduce the bezel and fit a 16" into the existing form factor that would be awesome...

If thats what you want, then buy a MacBook or MacBook Air. What you describe is not a pro laptop. The problem is that some of us do more than tweet, email, and edit the occasional spreadsheet with our computers, you know things like on-site video or audio editing, on-site data analysis, data visualization, etc., all things that don't work well in the cloud and require more processing power that the standard MacBook or MacBook Air, but that needs to be portable because we work in clients offices. In addition, Pros hot key everything anyway, there is no need for assignable function keys. Maybe they will be useful, but probably they'll be so complicated for the next 3 years that it won't be worth it. So I would not, not buy one that had a touch strip, but its not needed for Pro needs.
[doublepost=1465410170][/doublepost]
There is only one Mac that is more than 2 years old, the Mac Pro (released December 2013). The problem with comic exaggeration is that it only works if it is actually funny. Otherwise it just looks like lying.

Not if you look at the performance itself instead of release date. You don't consider a car new if they just slap some paint on it, which is all Apple did with the last few releases. The 2011 Macbook Pro is the last pro laptop. After that all the new machines were performance or screen size crippled. Sure they have SSDs, but they don't have more memory, or faster memory, or noticeable faster CPUs or GPUs, or any new technology. They have limited ports, funky keyboards, etc. So no its not a lie, unless your a fanboy, that believes Apple can do no wrong.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Not if you look at the performance itself instead of release date. You don't consider a car new if they just slap some paint on it, which is all Apple did with the last few releases. The 2011 Macbook Pro is the last pro laptop. After that all the new machines were performance or screen size crippled. Sure they have SSDs, but they don't have more memory, or faster memory, or noticeable faster CPUs or GPUs, or any new technology. They have limited ports, funky keyboards, etc. So no its not a lie, unless your a fanboy, that believes Apple can do no wrong.
So now it is Apple's fault that Broadwell isn't significantly faster than Sandy Bridge. And get your facts straight, the last non-retina MBP update was in 2012, not 2011.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Details, details. I want things to be simple, I don't want to have to think, check, and compare. I thus just pretend that things are simple and base my opinion on that pretend-world. [/sarcasm]
[doublepost=1465395688][/doublepost]
Two year old tech as in Broadwell processors released 15-months ago?
[doublepost=1465396125][/doublepost]
I think he's talking about the '2015' rMBP 15 that's sporting a rebadged dGPU from 2012 and a cpu from 2013...

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Sadly, I do. But i don't have to like it and I don't have to put up with it without a fight.
[doublepost=1465409783][/doublepost]

If thats what you want, then buy a MacBook or MacBook Air. What you describe is not a pro laptop. The problem is that some of us do more than tweet, email, and edit the occasional spreadsheet with our computers, you know things like on-site video or audio editing, on-site data analysis, data visualization, etc., all things that don't work well in the cloud and require more processing power that the standard MacBook or MacBook Air, but that needs to be portable because we work in clients offices. In addition, Pros hot key everything anyway, there is no need for assignable function keys. Maybe they will be useful, but probably they'll be so complicated for the next 3 years that it won't be worth it. So I would not, not buy one that had a touch strip, but its not needed for Pro needs.
[doublepost=1465410170][/doublepost]

oh yes, the 2011 MBP. Somehow the last pro machine Apple released, yet requiring a program to replace the defective graphics problems? LOL

The 2013 rMBP I have is better than my partners 2012 model in every way.

More ram. Has SSD instead of a crippled 5400rpm HD. It's faster 2.3GHz vs 2.0Ghz. Graphics card is bigger. It's got a WAY better screen with the Retina display... And get this...

It's also thinner and lighter!!

I use it in my studio for Cubase running VST plugins and instruments, so I know what heavy CPU use means.

The 2013 is better than the 2011 in every way....Unless you just like big heavy laptops with legacy ports and a SuperDrive I guess....

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
oh yes, the 2011 MBP. Somehow the last pro machine Apple released, yet requiring a program to replace the defective graphics problems? LOL

The 2013 rMBP I have is better than my partners 2012 model in every way.

More ram. Has SSD instead of a crippled 5400rpm HD. It's faster 2.3GHz vs 2.0Ghz. Graphics card is bigger. It's got a WAY better screen with the Retina display... And get this...

It's also thinner and lighter!!

I use it in my studio for Cubase running VST plugins and instruments, so I know what heavy CPU use means.

The 2013 is better than the 2011 in every way....Unless you just like big heavy laptops with legacy ports and a SuperDrive I guess....

Can you put this in your 2013 rMBP for less than the RIDICULOUS price that Apple is charging for 1TB SSDs these days?
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 7.01.07 PM.png

Didn't think so....
AND if you only got 8gb on your rMBP too bad, your buddy can go to 16gb now for $50!!!!

lowkey

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
australia
Can you put this in your 2013 rMBP for less than the RIDICULOUS price that Apple is charging for 1TB SSDs these days?
View attachment 634973

Didn't think so....
AND if you only got 8gb on your rMBP too bad, your buddy can go to 16gb now for $50!!!!

if i needed i could attach an external SSD sure...but 16GB ram and 512 GB SSD is enough for me...
but i wouldn't buy a 2011 MBP with its known graphics card defects...its a time bomb waiting to become a door stop.

Klae17

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2011
Everyone says that, but wtf do you use SD cards for still? Camera's? Isn't your iPhone already an incredible camera?

Nope. I don't use my iPhone camera for my photography business. I use SD cards every hour of my work. I use them to share large files as well.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
In simple words from MacStores:

Finding apps to put in Slide Over and Split View is a tedious process, and a layout with low information density and lacking a search box doesn't help in picking apps. Any kind of redesign would be welcome: a tighter presentation of app icons, the ability to search, and even a way to pin some apps as persistent favorites would do wonders.
Concept image:

IMG_1183.jpg

So I am guessing Apple did not touch this in iOS 10?

That's a cool concept, seeing that, I can see what you mean.

Nope. I don't use my iPhone camera for my photography business. I use SD cards every hour of my work. I use them to share large files as well.

Why not use USB thumb drives? SD cards are insanely slow. The new ones recently released by sandisk are better at 95/mbs, but there are still thumb drives that are far faster. And SD card slots are rare in most desktops, majority of laptops no longer have them. So the support is scarce, they are slow, and you are using them as your primary storage medium and expect apple to continue supporting it?

Camera's, I get, kind of. But if that's the case, then the new macbook pros should have microsd slots not full blown sd cards from 2000.

But then again, you are a pro photographer, I don't even know what camera you use. I'm assuming adapters are annoying?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.