Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple supplier TSMC has been working on building a chip manufacturing plant in Arizona where it plans to manufacture chips for Apple, but mass production is set to be delayed because of a worker shortage.

m1-4nm-feature2.jpg

According to The Wall Street Journal, TSMC is finding it difficult to hire people with expertise in building semiconductor factories in the United States. TSMC may have to bring in experienced technicians temporarily from Taiwan, which would delay production of the first 4nm chips until 2025.

"We are now entering a critical phase of handling and installing the most advanced and dedicated equipment. However, we are encountering certain challenges," said TSMC Chairman Mark Liu.

Reports in November suggested that TSMC would use its Arizona plant to begin manufacturing 4-nanometer chips for Apple as soon as it opened in 2024. Apple and other suppliers are eager to be able to source chips from the United States, so the manufacturing delay could potentially impact Apple's 2024 device plans.

After manufacturing 4-nanometer chips, TSMC plans to build an adjacent facility that will produce more advanced 3-nanometer chips for Apple. Apple's upcoming iPhone 15 models and its future M3-series chips are expected to be built on TSMC's 3-nanometer node, but initial chips will come from Taiwan factories.

Article Link: Apple Supplier TSMC Delays Production of 4nm Chips at Arizona Factory Due to Skilled Worker Shortage

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
THIS is the problem with manufacturing in America. It's not that Americans get higher wages, it's that a large enough number of Americans don't have the skills needed by today's high-tech manufacturers. Companies have no choice but to turn to Asia and India. America is so behind the rest of the world it's not even funny.

Kierkegaarden

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2018
USA
Why 4nm when 3nm is already there?
And it won’t even be operational until next year at the earliest. Meanwhile, 3nm tech is rumored to be making its way into iPhones this year and Macs and iPads after that. These aren’t morons, and I don’t know the chip business, but it doesn’t make sense — I must be missing something.

EDIT: I was missing something, as another user pointed out — Apple isn’t the only customer of TSMC — a fact that seemed to escape my little feline mind.

Last edited:

milkrocket

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2007
Maple land
THIS is the problem with manufacturing in America. It's not that Americans get higher wages, it's that a large enough number of Americans don't have the skills needed by today's high-tech manufacturers. Companies have no choice but to turn to Asia and India. America is so behind the rest of the world it's not even funny.
If villagers in china and india manage just fine, pretty sure the problem isn't skills.

They just don't wanna pay

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
It may be true that there are not enough Americans entering this field, but considering I can find dozens of articles about problems concerning wages and work culture at this plant I suspect there's a little more at play here than just shortage.

Leon Ze Professional

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2021
The flipside to a lack of skillsets is that it can always be overcome by providing resources and adequate training. The only thing TSMC need to do is identify people with potential to succeed in said roles.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
Working at a chip fab factory is a brutal job since the factory needs to be utilized 24/7 for it to be financially worth it. Given that the unemployment in America is amongst the lowest it's ever been it's unsurprising they're unable to find enough labor. Most likely they will need to dramatically improve the compensation in order to get the talent they need.

temende

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2021
And it won’t even be operational until next year at the earliest. Meanwhile, 3nm tech is rumored to be making its way into iPhones this year and Macs and iPads after that. These aren’t morons, and I don’t know the chip business, but it doesn’t make sense — I must be missing something.
I think what you're missing is that there are tons of other companies other than Apple that still buy large amounts of 4nm (and even older) chips from TSMC.

KENESS

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2003
The 4nm process isn't for the latest greatest A-series or M-series chips. There are a gazillion other chips that these fabs are popping out all the time which aren't 3nm. Plus, a chip that was designed at 4nm, but still in production, can't just "change" and become 3nm once that is manufacturable.

I suspect it was easier to start with something that wasn't bleeding edge, and then once that's settled in, continue on from there. The article mentioned a followup facility next door that would be 3nm for (mostly) Apple.

That said, 4nm isn't exactly... old. It is still WAY more advanced than a lot of supplemental chips (not main CPU) would ever need.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
This is not due to a lack of skilled workers. That area in particular in AZ has Honeywell, Motorola, Intel, etc. TSMC has two things I've heard through the Phoenix watercooler: 1) They won't pay as well as the guys mentioned above, 2) The culture of TSMC is party line... no questions, work hard (overwork), etc.

That doesn't fly so well with a US engineering workforce.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
This is not due to a lack of skilled workers. That area in particular in AZ has Honeywell, Motorola, Intel, etc. TSMC has two things I've heard through the Phoenix watercooler: 1) They won't pay as well as the guys mentioned above, 2) The culture of TSMC is party line... no questions, work hard (overwork), etc.

That doesn't fly so well with a US engineering workforce.
It's true, TSMC's complaining-like-a-baby is probably really about their preference for Taiwan workers.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
I'm surprised robots cannot just make everything from start to finish by now and replace the workers? This was the promise of the west when I was a kid, all the low end jobs would be gone, but it wouldn't matter as everyone would be middle class and populations would be decreasing. Instead what happened is they just sent all the jobs abroad, while increasing immigration which is causing populations to rise and wages to decrease in relative terms.

Edit: The even worse thing is no one in the west wants a normal job now. They've all grown up on the internet thinking life is one big holiday, so I'm not surprised that the mid skilled level is having a hard time to find people. However these companies need to be willing to train people like they used to, they all just stopped years ago because it costs a lot of money.... But it is the only way. Although I think they'd just close shop and move to India instead.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.