Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
You were lucky. I don't recommend that ANYONE put all their money into Apple, or any other company. Diversify.

I disagree.

Being diversified has always seemed like a bad idea to me.

I stick to tech stocks because I know tech. Maybe I could have made money in mining stocks or other sectors, but I know very little about mining and just don't feel comfortable investing in stuff I'm not a master of.

But tech - wow, when the analysts are full of beans, I can certainly tell when they are out to lunch, and I bet against these haters.

Somewhere out there is a website that counts all the stupid anti-apple predictions - "apple is going broke" counter or something like that. I always knew that those "analysts" were paid off to be negative about AAPL and I have been a continuous buyer of AAPL for 20 years.

My tech only portfolio has losses and wins, but I can sleep at night knowing that my life savings is in AAPL - no problem. With one caveat! I do have StockTrac with push alarms to tell me when the stock moves. But with an average price in the $40's I still come out a winner when TSHTF.

So put all your eggs in one basket I say. It's safer than losing everything.

Check the markets - everything is going up. It's crashing upwards right now! How can you pick a loser right now? Just get out before the bubble busts, or pick a good stock like AAPL that will weather any storm. If you diversify, you'll possibly suffer losses throughout your portfolio.

I just don't get what advantage being diversified really has provided the investor in the last 20 years. I'd say nothing.

Just wait for a stock split - 3:1 and I'm in!!

Buy now what you can, and when it splits 3:1 you'd have triple the shares worth the exact same dollar amount.

Last edited by a moderator:

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
I disagree.

put all your eggs in one basket I say. It's safer than losing everything.

Check the markets - everything is going up. It's crashing upwards right now! How can you pick a loser right now? Just get out before the bubble busts, or pick a good stock like AAPL that will weather any storm. If you diversify, you'll possibly suffer losses throughout your portfolio.

I just don't get what advantage being diversified really has provided the investor in the last 20 years. I'd say nothing.

Markets have been going up on cheap fed money. They've been printing money and buying their own bonds from dealers who then buy stocks.

Big difference between this tech run and 2000 was we now have flash crashes with all the hft robots trading. They do most of the volume.

I love apple and the stock does seem reasonably priced, but buying at the top of the market with gas prices so high,unemployment still near 10% and housing double dipping is just asking for it.

During the big flash crash if you had a limit order in place, it wouldn't have helped because it dropped so fast and quick. Your stock would have been sold way lower than you wanted

The best way protect your apple stock profits is to buy protective puts. Or buy qid which is 2x the inverse NASDAQ 100. Apple is 20% of that index.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Trading existing stock which isn't likely to pay dividends is as rational and beneficial as betting on a horse. Value is determined by trader demand, not necessarily by anything the company does, and stock value is not necessarily of any benefit to the company.

Last year Apple made about 14 billion dollars profit. Accordingly, the fundamental value of the company increased by $14bn and the share price goes up as the fundamental value increases. If Apple had paid out these $14 bn as dividends, the share price would be lower by exactly the same amount.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
Android = Windows. :apple:

Really? Then the full equation would be Android = Windows = De Facto Industry Standard = Total Market Dominance = Huge Success.

Unless you own Apple stock, you folks here should stop wetting yourself, because whether Apple is worth 300 Billion USD or only 3 cents won't change YOUR world in the least. It only shows that Apple no longer is anything special. It's just a huge corporation that makes a ton of money and that sells products that a lot of people are buying. If you're looking for ways to express your individuality, buying Apple products (or any other products) certainly is not the way to go. It also does not show that you are right or wrong about something. It only shows that you are swimming with the stream.

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Last year Apple made about 14 billion dollars profit. Accordingly, the fundamental value of the company increased by $14bn and the share price goes up as the fundamental value increases. If Apple had paid out these $14 bn as dividends, the share price would be lower by exactly the same amount.

Share price on the secondary market is determined by market makers' attempt to balance supply/demand for those shares. The price does not necessarily reflect underlying asset value.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Share price on the secondary market is determined by market makers' attempt to balance supply/demand for those shares. The price does not necessarily reflect underlying asset value.

The price reflects _exactly_ the markets best guess for the underlying value. As the underlying value changes, the market will eventually and inevitably home in on the new value. And the market cannot ignore an increase of Apple's value by $14 billion.

OSMac

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2010
Heres one side :
Apple mania is a fad, it will not last. Every store is packed full of shoppers, new product releases, even upgrades cause over night line ups and waiting lists for months.
Flawed product areas and awkward solutions are over looked.
Its a classic fad, and greatly tied to a single person which in itself is highly risky.
The companies people mock in this thread many once had similar runs, with even higher p/e .

And the other view:

BUT the health of Steve Jobs aside,
currently no end seems to be in site for Apples run. The iPad 2 looks to sell even more than the iPad 1, iPhone 5 will correct the perceived antenna flaw of the 4, new laptops will be thinner and with batteries that last longer than ever. The windows brand is tarnished and osx will continue to grow. Selling renting downloads or streams of movies will only grow. Add to that more revenue from iads and the new osx mac app store. Things can only get better, or so it seems.

Surely everyone will be figuring this out and buying stock at even higher prices .... Until?

Last edited:

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
The price reflects _exactly_ the markets best guess for the underlying value.

It seems a common opinion, but there's no inherent reason that shareholders should tie their desire to buy or sell to a some underlying rational valuation of the firm (assets, growth potential, whatever). Witness the growth of HFT over the past decade. Not everyone listens to Benjamin Graham.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Unless you own Apple stock, you folks here should stop wetting yourself, because whether Apple is worth 300 Billion USD or only 3 cents won't change YOUR world in the least. It only shows that Apple no longer is anything special. It's just a huge corporation that makes a ton of money and that sells products that a lot of people are buying. If you're looking for ways to express your individuality, buying Apple products (or any other products) certainly is not the way to go. It also does not show that you are right or wrong about something. It only shows that you are swimming with the stream.

No, it does affect us even if we don't own stock. THe more people that have a Macintosh computer, the more it is an appealing OS for developers to make applications for or port over applications (and do a *decent* job instead of a half ass job a lot of developers do. My vet still runs OS 8.6 and he runs a software that they finally bothered porting and half of it doesn't work on Mac and I know Quicken apparently did a poor port). The more software available, the more useful the computer.

Therefore, yes, I do want to see the platforms I use become popular cause popularity means more stuff available for the platform I choose. And less compromise of "Do I go with this platform that i like to use better but has little available for it?" or "Do i go with this platform that I hate using but I will have more available to use with it (Including a selection of apps that I can choose the best one rather than be forced to use one certain one cause that's the only one made for that platform)".

I don't understand people who don't want Apple to become popular. Or maybe they just annoy me cause I like using Mac (and my iphone) and I'd love it to be more useful and have more choice of applications to use on it vs. limiting it cause there's no market to develop for it solely so some people can feel they're unique for using it.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
$300 Billion but can't make a clock work. :confused:

Haters gonna Hate. At least this bug isn't as bad as Android's texting fiasco, I can imagine a situation in which a dirty text meant for wife could end up going to some one like your boss or in law as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.