Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

FutureBrand recently released the results of a survey that questioned 3,000 consumers about the 100 biggest companies in the world, asking them to score each company on 18 different factors like trust, innovation, individuality, and price premium. The 2016 results crowned Apple as the top company in the world, "in terms of perception strength, rather than financial strength" (via CNET).

futurebrand-apple-3-800x682.jpg

Some of the highest marks Apple received this year surrounded its individuality, authenticity, and purpose, while it scored less well in resource management, wellbeing, and respect among the consumers surveyed. Compared to the second-place entry in the Top 100 listing, Microsoft, Apple edges out ever so slightly in personality and consistency, while customers questioned believed Microsoft to be more innovative than Apple.
Technology companies occupy the top two spots in this year's rankings and enjoy strong perceptions across our measures. Six of the twenty four 'future brands' are in the technology sector - one fewer than in 2015.

A 'future brand' is a brand that is more likely to succeed in the future, not just one that is strong now. This is because it perfectly balances strong perceptions of its purpose in the world with the experience it delivers.
Apple's 2016 win comes after it lost the top spot to Google last year, but a bit of behind-the-scenes reorganization seems to be the reason for the search engine company's egress from FutureBrand's list this year. Since Google is considered wholly part of parent company Alphabet, only the latter could appear as a contender for Apple's first place spot. But consumer knowledge -- or lack thereof -- surrounding Alphabet and its relationship with Google most likely led to Alphabet's 21st place ranking.

futurebrand-apple-4-800x493.jpg

The rest of the top spots are rounded out by companies like Disney, Amazon, Samsung, Toyota, and Facebook. Specifically in the Technology Sector, Apple's numbers rise even higher. The Cupertino company is 36 percent above the sector average when it comes to thought leadership, and 33 percent above the average in terms of consistency in producing high quality products. Similarly, many survey respondents confirmed they would like to work for Apple (37 percent above sector average), and that they would buy its products (39 percent above sector average).

You can look over FutureBrand's 2016 rankings here.

Article Link: Apple Takes Top Spot in FutureBrand's Ranking of World's Favorite Companies

Reactions: ladytonya

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Surprised to see Microsoft in number 2. And what are Abbvie, Celgene or Gilead? How is Tesla not on here?
They are healthcare companies.
First sentence excludes Tesla:
FutureBrand recently released the results of a survey that questioned 3,000 consumers about the 100 biggest companies in the world, asking them to score each company on 18 different factors like trust, innovation, individuality, and price premium.
It's also why Google is no longer listed

Last edited:
Reactions: thewebb

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Seems rather pointless to survey consumers about companies, without also including the names of the most famous brand names of those companies. The fact that Alphabet scores so low proves that few people surveyed were aware its main brand is Google.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
Seems rather pointless to survey consumers about companies, without also including the names of the most famous brand names of those companies. The fact that Alphabet scores so low proves that few people surveyed were aware its main brand is Google.

The whole thing is pointless.

Why would I care about other consumers perception?

If a product is good , I'll use or buy it and even if I had no clue, I know that product would find me. (As in I'd hear about it to check it out)

MS Surface Versions are getting better and enticing. Needs iOS or macOS and we are good:)

Reactions: oldoneeye

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Odd how Apple is always ranked high on these lists yet it doesn't have anything close to worldwide marketshare in any single major product category -- major product category is defined as one that Apple views important enough to break out unit P&L as opposed to clumping in a catch-all basin.

This is not a bash on Apple, it's just an observation how love doesn't necessarily equate to sales. But I'm also a bit skeptical of this study because I can't see how the average consumer that doesn't follow either the stockmarket or biotech knows about Abbvie, Gilead, or Celgene. And speaking of that category why isn't Amgen on the list? Right now when I think biotech that company hits me before the others. They've had a lot of success lately.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Odd how Apple is always ranked high on these lists yet it doesn't have anything close to worldwide marketshare in any single major product category

Are you serious?

Would you trade market share with profit share? In what economic universe? Can you envision the kind of market share that Apple could achieve by dramatically reducing their margins?

In other words: Apple is the clear market share leader, by leaps and bounds, in the market segments they choose to compete in (i.e. premium smartphones, premium PCs, premium smartwatches).

ojobson

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2009
Odd how Apple is always ranked high on these lists yet it doesn't have anything close to worldwide marketshare in any single major product category -- major product category is defined as one that Apple views important enough to break out unit P&L as opposed to clumping in a catch-all basin.

Apple have always said (along the lines of) that they strive not to make a mass market product - they strive to make the best possible product/experience. This inherently carries a price premium and therefore prices itself out of being able to be purchased in high enough volumes to win the biggest marketshare.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Interesting to see that Samsung, who has been noted by those who really know the company, as one of the most corrupt companies in the world, has been given the #3 spot.

Might as well send this survey out to monkeys.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Apple have always said (along the lines of) that they strive not to make a mass market product - they strive to make the best possible product/experience. This inherently carries a price premium and therefore prices itself out of being able to be purchased in high enough volumes to win the biggest marketshare.

This! Apple have stated this many times, they don't have a lot of market share in the smartphone business for example, they currently have 3 lines on sale, iPhoine 6s, iPhone SE and the iPhone 6, where as a company like Samsung have a load of smartphones, s6, note, active, Neo, to name just a few. Apple make quality over quantity.
[doublepost=1469197997][/doublepost]
Interesting to see that Samsung, who has been noted by those who really know the company, as one of the most corrupt companies in the world, has been given the #3 spot.

Might as well send this survey out to monkeys.

The problem with Samsung is their customer service is so bad!!

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan

Doesn't that say more about Google's rebranding?

(I agree these surveys are stupid)

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
In all fairness man, Samsung is a great company that makes a lot more than the typically hated (on this forum at least) smartphone...

Samsung is a great company in the same sense the Medellin Cartel was.

Samsung is run by a chaebol (family group) that has a striking track record of criminal acts, including intimidations to journalists. They basically own South Korea, and Samsung president managed to avoid jail only thanks to a direct intervention of the government, in exchange for favors related to the Olympic Games.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-became-the-giant-that-ate-korea-8510588.html

Since the inception, their strategy was to rip off what's working in the market. BlackBerry is on top? Here's the BlackJack. Motorola RAZR? Here's our clamshell. iPhone? Take the galaxy series.

But crime pays, and the company is actually very profitable (and their semiconductor branch is really pushing the envelope).

EricTheHalfBee

Suspended
Mar 10, 2013

They are the market leader in flagship smartphones. Samsung isn't even a close second since their flagships have never sold anywhere near iPhone numbers. Android is the market leader in $100 junk phones. Completely different market.

And I guessed you missed the Apple Watch story from the other day where Apple has 47% of the smartwatch market (if you believe the numbers from IDC).

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
They are the market leader in flagship smartphones. Samsung isn't even a close second since their flagships have never sold anywhere near iPhone numbers. Android is the market leader in $100 junk phones. Completely different market.

And I guessed you missed the Apple Watch story from the other day where Apple has 47% of the smartwatch market (if you believe the numbers from IDC).

But....but I thought Apple was doomed? ;)

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
In all fairness man, Samsung is a great company that makes a lot more than the typically hated (on this forum at least) smartphone...
Not to mention Samsung manufactures our precious chips in our iPhones and iPads, and Screens - iPhones are pretty much samsung that run a better OS.

Apple totally helped fuel their competitor when it comes to this.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Poorly worded post from MR leads to a lot of the confusion. Contrast it with 9to5's post: http://9to5mac.com/2016/07/22/apple-worlds-favorite-company-futurebrand/

Neither are Pulitzer material, but 9to5 at least tries to give a better explanation of the point you made. The consumers in the survey aren't your typical consumers. They're primarily business professionals with industry knowledge. Futurebrands methodology can be found here. Relevant portion regarding survey participants (informed public):
"By ‘informed’ we mean aware of and know something about at least 7 or more of the Global Top 100 companies – our aim was to understand strength of perceptions and associations of those people who can show reasonable awareness:
  • By ‘informed’ we mean aware of and know something about at least 7 or more of the Global Top 100 companies – our aim was to understand strength of perceptions and associations of those people who can show reasonable awareness
  • 21-75 years old, balanced between males and females, none were unemployed or students
  • Top professional, Chairman, MD, VP/SVP or other very Senior Manager, top level Civil Servant, or similar
  • Skilled Professional, Departmental or Middle Manager, Senior Executive, Departmental or Head Teacher, or similar
  • Junior Manager, Junior Executive, Shop Owner or Owner of a Small Establishment, Class Teacher, Nurse, or similar"

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002

Yes, but not my point. I was making an observation about consumers, not a criticism of Apple. But to suggest Apple isn't mass market is to say the sky isn't blue.

No. I said worldwide marketshare. iPhone leads in the U.S, but not worldwide. This survey was worldwide, not U.S.

Also I specified major products and defined what a major product was. I did not miss the AW story.

Reactions: etios and jedifaka
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.