Apple Temporarily Pulls iOS 9.3 Update for Older iOS Devices

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 24, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has temporarily stopped offering the iOS 9.3 update for older devices like the iPad Air and earlier and the iPhone 5s and earlier due to installation issues some users have experienced. On older devices, iOS 9.3 requires users to input the Apple ID and password originally used to set up the device, which can lead to the device becoming stuck at the Activation Lock screen if the original account information can't be recalled.

In a statement given to iMore, Apple says it is working on a fix and plans to issue a new version of iOS 9.3 in the next few days. Customers with an affected device who attempt to download iOS 9.3 during this time will not be able to install the update as Apple has stopped signing it.

[​IMG]
    For customers who have already installed iOS 9.3 and have gotten stuck at the Activation Lock, Apple has published a support document with steps on how to solve the issue. Apple recommends removing Activation Lock via iCloud or attempting to enter an Apple ID or password through iTunes.

Update: Apple has released a new build of iOS 9.3 for the iPad 2 and may be planning to roll out updates for additional devices. Apple has not yet resumed signing iOS 9.3 for affected devices.

Article Link: Apple Temporarily Pulls iOS 9.3 Update for Older iOS Devices

2. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Apple strategy to force upgrade to iPhone SE/iPad Pro.

3. anzio macrumors 6502

4. farewelwilliams macrumors 68020

while an extreme minor case, I'd imagine there is a customer that enabled two factor authentication tied to their only apple device. assuming they forgot the password, that means there's no way to reset and they're locked permanently...?

5. iOSFangirl6001 macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

Well that's not good... Glad our devices are always fairly newer models

6. npmacuser5, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2016

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

Better have their recovery key.

7. volcomvenom macrumors 65816

volcomvenom

Ah someone help me my iPhone 1 is destroyed from this update (tee he he).

8. TalonFlyer macrumors member

9. Kevin2055 macrumors regular

After so many beta 9.3 releases, I thought apple is careful this time and it should be smooth ...

10. witherwings macrumors member

witherwings

Weird, I made a restore on my 5s and it needed activation, and it came out fine! Maybe I was lucky

11. usarioclave macrumors 65816

That's odd. I can't imagine a reason why Apple would need the original Apple ID password used. Apple already is tracking the current password.

12. InfoTime macrumors 6502

Wait, an iPad Air is considered an older device???

13. netslacker macrumors 6502

Updated my wifes 5S and was surprised by the prompt. We had to go digging in some past notes of hers for her password, luckily we found it and got it installed ok. She just rarely uses her password for anything so it was a showstopper until we figured it out.

14. lobbyist macrumors regular

lobbyist

I've successfully updated a 4S, 5S and iPad4 (and a 6S). All updated smoothly without problem.

15. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

This is starting to become the norm. Issues with every single update, no matter how big or small.

By the way, not the first time Apple pulls an update. Talk about embarrassing and unacceptable :(

16. nezr macrumors regular

nezr

all these beta releases and no one finds this out until now ? lol

17. tentales macrumors 6502a

tentales

Really dude ? I rarely defend Apple, but that's a stupid claim. More likely, it's lack of proper testing, despite the long beta period. If you want to criticize Apple, criticize them for that.

18. volcomvenom macrumors 65816

volcomvenom

No kidding, there goes my iPhone 1.

19. RyanG macrumors 6502

".. an issue some users..."

20. scottw50 macrumors newbie

Have to laugh. I have been in the Apple Public Beta program and until the last release of ios9.3 haven't been able to get past iOS 9.2.1 on my Apple iPad 2. With the last release, the update installed in a normal fashion. Isn't software fun?

21. BSben macrumors 65816

All my older devices are running it happily, and have done for some time. I wonder what the devices that won't run have in common.

22. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I had my iCloud login screen lockup when I upgraded my 6s. Nothing responded until I locked the phone and unlocked it to try again. The text selection magnifying glass was stuck on the screen where I was trying to type, but I was able to get my password in regardless.

Probably the FBI intercepted the software and put in a key logger for our passwords, haha. Yeah, that's it!

23. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

Everybody's got their panties in a knot. When there were 12 Apple devices in existence -- I know, I was one of them -- you would download it and it worked. From Compuserve. Or you could take 5 floppies to the computer store, and they'd let you have a copy of System 6 for free! Now, we're in the world of a billion Apple devices. It might take a day or so, but they'll work it out. I updated my iPad mini v2 with Retina, and that went perfectly.

24. Caromsoft macrumors regular

Caromsoft

The upgrade worked OK on our two 5 's (not 5S)

25. Swift macrumors 68000

Swift

We're not perfect like you.