Apple Testing Augmented Reality 'Smart Glasses' That Connect to iPhone

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 14, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As part of its effort to expand further into wearable devices, Apple is working on a set of smart glasses, reports Bloomberg. Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, the site says the smart glasses would connect wirelessly to the iPhone, much like the Apple Watch, and would display "images and other information" to the wearer.

Apple has contacted potential suppliers about its glasses project and has ordered "small quantities" of near-eye displays, suggesting the project is in the exploratory prototyping phase of development. If work on the glasses progresses, they could be released in 2018.

[​IMG]
    Google Glass​

Apple's glasses sound similar to Google Glass, the head-mounted display that Google first introduced in 2013. Google Glass used augmented reality and voice commands to allow users to do things like check the weather, make phone calls, and capture photographs. Apple's product could be similar in functionality.
    Google Glass was highly criticized because of privacy concerns, and as a result, it never really caught on with consumers. Google eventually stopped developing Google Glass in January of 2015.

It is not clear how Apple would overcome the privacy and safety issues that Google faced, nor if the project will progress, but Apple CEO Tim Cook has expressed Apple's deep interest in augmented reality multiple times over the last few months, suggesting something big is in the works. "AR can be really great," he said in July. "We have been and continue to invest a lot in this. We're high on AR in the long run."

Past rumors have also indicated Apple is exploring a number of virtual and augmented reality projects, including a full VR headset. Apple has a full team dedicated to AR and VR research and how the technologies can be incorporated into future Apple products. Cook recently said that he believes augmented reality would be more useful and interesting to people than virtual reality.

Article Link: Apple Testing Augmented Reality 'Smart Glasses' That Connect to iPhone

2. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

I sure as hell won't be able to afford version 1. I'd wait until version 2/3 before I invest in them.

3. andrew5494 macrumors regular

andrew5494

4. vartanarsen macrumors 6502a

No not iGlasses. Apple Glasses

5. filmantopia macrumors 6502a

filmantopia

I know people will dismiss this as a probable repeat of the Google Glass failure, but if something in Apple's labs has them excited enough to actually do it, then I too am excited.

6. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

7. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

I buy everything apple, but goofy tech glasses is where I draw the line.

8. IndigoDesign macrumors regular

9. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

I would like mine in a monocle form factor, please. That way I can strut around like Mr Peanut, with a look of indignant consternation on the non-Apple iGlasses folks.

10. ip67 macrumors regular

ip67

Yep, anyone wearing these into a public restroom is going to get beat to a pulp.

11. masotime macrumors 68020

masotime

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/02/23/shape-things-come

????

12. ipedro macrumors 601

ipedro

AppleWatch + Glasses + AirPods could be the 1-2-3 punch that gradually replaces the iPhone and sets Apple up for the next decade.

A full computer on your wrist and glasses that provide a place for larger visual information. AirPods in your ears for full time Siri interaction. That's all you need for a wearable computer environment.

13. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

except you forget to factor in people don't want to look stupid wearing iGlasses

14. RedOrchestra Suspended

Unlike those ugly Google glasses, Apple's copy will be nothing short of special for Apple's special community.

15. andrew5494 macrumors regular

andrew5494

16. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

17. Superhappytree, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016

Superhappytree macrumors 6502a

Superhappytree

Tim Cook is right. Augmented reality is the one out of the two which is more likely to be successful. I know this is probably a poor comparison, but just look at how popular Pokémon GO was, and how popular the Snapchat filters are and how widely they're used by the average person. Again, that's probably a laughable comparison to anyone reading this, but if the average consumer uses those two then they're far more likely to use more advanced (and useful) AR in the future. As for VR, I don't think people want to be wearing bulky headsets. You are also stuck 'in' that world, compared to AR which is more focused on the outter world and seems far more flexible.

18. Bevz macrumors 6502a

I'd prefer they test a new iMac with a GTX1080 in it ;)

19. cmaier macrumors G5

I'll believe it when I see it. But assuming I can put complicated prescription lenses in them, I'd be all in and toss my apple watch (since I need to wear glasses, anyway).

20. Amacfa macrumors 68000

Amacfa

21. samcraig macrumors P6

I can't wait to compare the google glass threads with the release announcement thread

22. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

pnoyblazed

Apple is breeding the next generation of glassholes

23. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Please no. Apple lovers already get enough hate. Now imagine them walking around with glasses on. No matter how good they look, they're going to scream NERD as loud as Google Glass did.

As a friend said, even at BlizzCon, the people with Google Glass looked like giant nerds.

24. KPA, Nov 14, 2016

KPA macrumors newbie

I remember Tim saying once " wrist seems to be more a natural place for an accessory" not eyes., looking at google glass.

25. Schwyz, Nov 14, 2016

Schwyz macrumors regular

Schwyz